Toad Charge and Amp-L-Start

SWharton

None of those but I have and use one of the Battery Minder products. With our motorhome I permanently connected one like this to the chassis battery such that anytime that we were connected to shore power it was operating. I attribute the use of it to having been the reason that battery was still capable of passing a load test after 8 years of service. I also use one of their 48V versions on our golfcart when we are traveling.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Brake Buddy makes a $25 battery maintainer that will work with any braking system - http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/Accessories/Towed-Vehicle-Battery-Maintainer.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Installed a Toad Charge in July 2013. It worked great for about a year before I started having problems with dead toad battery again. I have tinkered with it a lot since then, and talked to them about it to get their suggestions. It has worked a few times in the past year, but most of the time it shows that it is connected, but it does not keep the toad battery charged. I am ready to toss it at this point. I am now traveling with a battery charger under the hood, plugged into the motorhome via extension cord so I can run the generator and not have a dead toad on arrival.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Don't you guys have a live wire in your umbilical to keep the toad battery up while its being towed? My MH has a dedicated circuit that is powered up as soon as I start the MH engine for just that.....its on a 30 amp fuse and works great. As it runs through a relay I dont have to worry about the Toad draining the MH batteries when not driving. My toads never have a drained battery from towing.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I ran the Trikle-L-Start for over a year and it did it's job. When I discovered the bigger Amp-L-Start I replaced the smaller unit which was working fine. The reason I did that was that the defective OEM unit was a 15 amp and I just thought that having the same rating would be extra insurance. I have since had a converter/charger problem that was flipping between charge to equalize at 16.4 volts. This went on for some 12 to 24 hours before I discovered it. The Amp-L-Start survived and I can only say I am very happy with their products.

Good luck, good health and safe travels!

Archived