AC recharge

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

A 1998 Volvo with a Cummins engine would use R134 AC refrigerant shouldn't it? I need to do a vacuum and recharge the system with a little bit of dye so I can find the leaks. If the leak is in the lines for the rear AC, how hard is it to cap them? What are the other common leaks in these systems?

Thanks guys and gals!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Anywhere there is a mechanical joint is a good place for a leak. this includes o ring connections and compression type connections. lines themselves rarely get holes in them, but when they do usually leak all the refrigerant out.

Be on the lookout for oil on the joints and on the a/c lines. This is typically an area of a leak since the oil mixes with the refrigerant while traveling in the system. if you're Baltimore, MD i'd look at it for you.

Little more info- After putting a set of gauges on, and tracing some wires, I found that the clutch is probably going bad. It works when it wants, when it engages the compressor produces cold AC. But the clutch doesn't always engage when it should. You can here the "Click" but no movement.

For $100, I'll buy a new compressor and clutch assembly, then have the system evacuated, drier replaced, compressor replaced and recharged. Should be an easy fix.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived