Changing the ball in a Thetford toilet

For the 2nd time in 8 years, I've changed the ball and seal in my Thetford toilet. For the second time in 8 years, I will state that that is one of my least favorite jobs....

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Especially if you drop something down that gaping hole.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

It smells? Never noticed that since I got a tip from a neighbor before I started working on mine.

-- Close up the rig, run a vent fan on hi pulling air into the rig. There will be a good breeze going down the pipe and no smell coming out.

The other tip he gave me was to tie a piece of string to any tool I didn't want to have to fish out of the tank.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It smells? Never noticed that since I got a tip from a neighbor before I started working on mine.

-- Close up the rig, run a vent fan on hi pulling air into the rig. There will be a good breeze going down the pipe and no smell coming out.

The other tip he gave me was to tie a piece of string to any tool I didn't want to have to fish out of the tank.

I like that air flow idea , Stanley . I'd probably want the dump valve open , though . ;)

And , I not sure any tools are needed to change the bowl seal on our toilet , Short of disposable gloves .

Goes around , comes around .

You don't need the dump valve open, the tank's vent to the roof flows plenty of air. Just don't use a fan real close to it to pull in the air!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Interesting. We have done that job on our 5th wheel and our MH. Never noticed smell. Empty tank first

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

For me, there will never again be a Thetford toilet. Some of the retailers have told me that Thetford used to be their #1 seller; but the last few years that has changed and the Dometic is their most popular seller because of frequent and repetitive maintenance issues with Thetfords, primarily leaking water valves.

The Dometic 310 and 510 are popular (depending on how much $ you want to spend). The 310 can be bought very reasonably at

any number of sites for around $150 :

Ebay, PPL, Tweety's, and Adventure, just to name a few.

Me = no association with Dometic or any retailers.

Archived