Another good reason to have a TPMS

A friend of our departed Key West and heading to NE US and this happened. She stated "skirt on mtrhome broke away on one side stuck under tire then it caught fire". I have no idea how far she drug the jeep. I think this was her attempt to take MH and Toad back herself.

post-5256-0-64509600-1427999303_thumb.jpg

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

The toad is the primary reason we went to a TPMS system. A TPMS system won't help you if you get a blow out... but if your toad gets a blow out you are very likely not to notice it. The TPMS will at least tell you. Of course, on the motor home you probably won't need something to tell you you had a blow out. :P

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Of course, on the motor home you probably won't need something to tell you you had a blow out. :P

Blowout no, but you can have a rear dual tire go flat without much notice.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The toad is the primary reason we went to a TPMS system.

Ditto for us, followed by rear duals. There is something to be said too for keeping an eye on the rear view camera although when something s noticeable there it is normally after at least some damage has occured.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We picked up our new (to us!) coach last weekend and drove it the 160 or so miles home from the dealership with our Jeep Liberty in tow. Now I've read lots of posts from people saying that they can't tell their "toad" is even back there - but never I really believed that. I do now! Couldn't "feel" anything related to the Jeep's presence while driving. If I didn't see it in the rear camera - I wouldn't have known it was there. Could easily see not realizing it was in trouble had a problem arose. Fortunately, the coach has a TPMS (a Doran 360 unit). I ordered 4 additional sensors for the Jeep this past Monday morning .. they were delivered this afternoon. Headed up to our storage lot on Saturday to install them and configure them so they're recognized by the TPMS monitor unit.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

TPMS saved another tire for us. We got an alarm from a trailer tire that started slowly loosing pressure. We slowed our speed and safely exited the highway, removed the wheel and had the slow leak repaired and were back together without any damage to tire.

I believe in using a TPMS.

John

John and Sharon
2011 HH 38LKTG
2001 4700LP
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel

Agree 100%. Until we got ours 5 years ago, I just figured we didn't need one. I can't say how great it was to have our TPMS Save or alert us on more than one occasion. Would never be without one again fer sure! Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Thank goodness our TPMS has never had to tell us about a soft/flat tire. What we love about it is the ability every morning to check our tire pressures. This has just become part of our routine.

Question:

We are buying a motor home and will install our TPMS system. Do I need a repeater to get the info from the toad or is that something I will need to try first and see.

There is so much good advice offered here. If you are just getting started, remember that many of the problems presented here have solved in different ways earlier. But, read and seek a solution for your needs. Safety is a major concern for most of us.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Question:

We are buying a motor home and will install our TPMS system. Do I need a repeater to get the info from the toad or is that something I will need to try first and see.

Try it first to see if you need the repeater. Our TST TPMS reads the toad sensors even when the car is parked 50 ft away from the coach.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

See my "Blowmax" thread. When #4 developed a small leak we caught it at 50psi, down from 80, in about 30 seconds. Without TPMS that tire would have shredded and possibly done a lot of damage. I am a firm believer in TPMS.

Yes, SWharton, try it first. My trailer axles are 40 something feet away, never a problem.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

A repeater is needed only when the monitor can not sense the sensors so they will "drop off" the monitor screen. When that happens, you can't get reliable or any readings. Needing a repeater really depends on MH or 5th wheel length, year of the MH and how much interference is between the MH & toad.

I see no reason to buy one 1st, just be prepared that that might be something that you may have to get if you start having dropped sensor reading. .

I can tell you our experience.

With our 1996 dodge pulling our 38' Carriage 5th wheel, we did not need a repeater for 4 years. When we bought our 2014 Dodge and pulled the same 5th wheel, it didn't take but a month to realize that no matter where we put the monitor, some of the 5th wheel tires on occasion would drop off the monitor. They sometimes came back on too. Let me clarify one part of my statement. When a sensor dropped off the screen, I turned the monitor off and while I was still holding it in my lap turned it back on. All the sensors would show but when I moved it back near the dash, we would have intermittent readings so this verified interference. For us it wasn't so much the distance between vehicles it was because we had so much electronic "stuff" in our dash area. We bought a repeater and mounted it in one of our 5th wheel cabinets and never had a dropped sensor reading after that.

Others will have their own stories/reasons why the do or do not have or need a repeater but this was our experience. Hope it helps a bit. Hugs, Di

Thank goodness our TPMS has never had to tell us about a soft/flat tire. What we love about it is the ability every morning to check our tire pressures. This has just become part of our routine.

Question:

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

The ONLY thing I don't like about TST is that if you drop a sensor position it beeps at you forever. There does not seem to be a way to quiet it. So get the repeater if you need it or you will be very annoyed. I resorted to popping the fuse. Which of course defeats the entire purpose of the device.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Jack. All you have to do is stop the noise is push any button on the monitor. That will turn off the beep but the red light will stay on. That way each time it gets to the tire in question, it will still flash each time it gets to it. I tell customers to hit any button for 2 reasons. One is to quiet the noise so you can concentrate on safely finding a spot to pull over and the 2nd reason is that it will revert back and monitoring all the tires. This is good if you happen to run thru something and catch more than one tire. You will know what you are facing as you find a safe spot off the road.

For others out there who purchase a TST system and you have something you don't feel is right/annoying etc, a call to the dealer you purchased your TST from or calling TST direct will answer your questions and get you up and running or quiet your monitor, that's what we're here for.

Even with a repeater should you have something more serious than a dropped sensor, you really do want that annoying noise so you know to find a spot to get off the road.

Hugs, Di

The ONLY thing I don't like about TST is that if you drop a sensor position it beeps at you forever. There does not seem to be a way to quiet it. So get the repeater if you need it or you will be very annoyed. I resorted to popping the fuse. Which of course defeats the entire purpose of the device.

SKP #48048

Hi Jack. All you have to do is stop the noise is push any button on the monitor. That will turn off the beep but the red light will stay on.

I put up with that beeping for a long time, lol! Good to know this....now.

Pulling my 43' 5er with a '13 Ram 3500 I need the repeater on my TST.

Kyle Henson, Fulltime RVer since 2011

Founder/Former Owner of  RVer Insurance Exchange

That bugs me when the sensors I have on the spares report low. I'll never understand how the spares(trailer, toad) slowly bleed down when the other tires don't.

At least on the PressurePro Monitor, you can hit the On button which switches the report for the beeping sensor to once every couple of minutes.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

That bugs me when the sensors I have on the spares report low. I'll never understand how the spares(trailer, toad) slowly bleed down when the other tires don't.

At least on the PressurePro Monitor, you can hit the On button which switches the report for the beeping sensor to once every couple of minutes.

As said, just hitting any button on the TST will silence the beep. The flashing LED will continue until the problem is corrected.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived