Day 3 of living full time!

Hi everyone,

We officially moved into our trailer on Saturday. I'm now a full timer! I'm getting used to a much smaller shower (still haven't figured out how to shave my legs!), small kitchen sink, stove etc. I think the most frustrating part is finding new spaces for all the old stuff. We did a great job downsizing. We only have a few items to get rid of. I've been organizing kitchen cupboards, our closet, lining shelves. I've hung pictures. I've cooked a couple times, done laundry in the new combo unit (which is awesome by the way). For myself, I'm going to have to simplify my cooking routine. I just don't see myself being the Betty Crocker baker I was before.

We're at a park for 3 weeks working out bugs and getting the trailer ready to roll. We pick up our new truck tomorrow. It will take some time to get a new routine but I think once I do, I'll never want to go back to the 'old' lifestyle again!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

We're at a park for 3 weeks working out bugs and getting the trailer ready to roll. We pick up our new truck tomorrow. It will take some time to get a new routine but I think once I do, I'll never want to go back to the 'old' lifestyle again!

If things go well, you will still be saying this next year, in 5 years, and even when the day comes that you must find another way of life. Even though we are back to being part-timers now for health reasons, we both miss the road and consider that 12 years to be the very best of our lives up to this time.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm getting used to a much smaller shower (still haven't figured out how to shave my legs!)

Epilady electric hair remover. Does NOT go in the shower. Pulls hair out by the roots so hurts first time but not all grows back and what does comes in finer so it gets less painful each application. I rarely have to use mine now and it no longer hurts at all.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Epilady electric hair remover. Does NOT go in the shower. Pulls hair out by the roots so hurts first time but not all grows back and what does comes in finer so it gets less painful each application. I rarely have to use mine now and it no longer hurts at all.

Linda Sand

Well there's the answer to the million dollar question!!!!

Thanks!!

Congratulations!! I'm sure you'll love every minute... but the 'tinkerin' never really seems to end. :P The only suggestion I would make is not to try and do and see everything all at once. Ya got plenty of time... and don't forget to build in "maintenance" days between points of interest. Ie., plan on 3 days in 'such and such', but give yourself an extra day for routine stuffs on the rig. It also helps slow things down a bit and give you the luxury to detour if your heart so desires.

Have fun!!

Congratulations!! I'm sure you'll love every minute... but the 'tinkerin' never really seems to end. :P The only suggestion I would make is not to try and do and see everything all at once. Ya got plenty of time... and don't forget to build in "maintenance" days between points of interest. Ie., plan on 3 days in 'such and such', but give yourself an extra day for routine stuffs on the rig. It also helps slow things down a bit and give you the luxury to detour if your heart so desires.

Have fun!!

I know! I have to get that 'gotta get it done' mentality out of my head. I always feel like I'm in a hurry. Today is rig maintenance....tanks, laundry, cleaning windows. It's supposed to be 27 degrees tonight so hubby is doing some prep. I'm beginning to love my little trailer.

We are in year five and still make changes to our coach every six months when we pass through our home base. We also evaluate the stuff we have on board and change that as well. It also seems that we plan our journey loosely, but a year in advance. We know what rallies we want to weigh RV's at, roughly where we want to winter (like what state and then where in that state) and decide if we'll camp host in Yellowstone again or not. So far we've been there four years and still love the park.

Take your time and enjoy your new life style.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

What's amazing is you'll wake up one day and realize that you've been doing this for 5yrs., and you'll wonder how that can be. It seems only yesterday you started out.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks everyone....

Day 6 today. Last night was our first night below freezing so we had to fill the tanks and drain lines. We emptied tanks yesterday, did some rig sprucing and cleaning. We're still organizing. I've bumped my head on everything. I'm getting used to the shower slowly.....but as time goes on I'm falling in love with our little trailer!

We too are full timers living in a motorhome. After a year and a half I'm still trying to adjust to my tiny shower! lol I've finally figured out a way to shave but still don't like it. I set a chair up in front of the shower door and stick my legs inside the shower. Fill the sink with water to rinse the razor and use the handheld shower head with a shut off valve to rinse with. It's a pain but it works. Oh and a towel to sit on as well as one on the floor to catch the water!

Congratulations on going full time!

In my opinion it is wise to ALWAYS keep some available water in the fresh tank. You never know when the park will lose their water. You want options available to you. Before we started running off our fresh tank all the time (because we now have a whole house RO system), we always had at least a days worth of water in the tank. We cycled through it from time to time. That way you know the pump and systems are working right, and you have water when the park cuts the water to fix a leak, or the city cuts the water to the park for some reason. Just something to consider.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In my opinion it is wise to ALWAYS keep some available water in the fresh tank. You never know when the park will lose their water.

X2. We've been in several parks where they've lost water...anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

In my opinion it is wise to ALWAYS keep some available water in the fresh tank. You never know when the park will lose their water. You want options available to you. Before we started running off our fresh tank all the time (because we now have a whole house RO system), we always had at least a days worth of water in the tank. We cycled through it from time to time. That way you know the pump and systems are working right, and you have water when the park cuts the water to fix a leak, or the city cuts the water to the park for some reason. Just something to consider.

We also do that and other people in the park are having to do without or coming to us for morning coffee water. Love it!

One of the things that we really appreciate about living in our small home is "options". We can live on or off connections and using gas or electric.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

In my opinion it is wise to ALWAYS keep some available water in the fresh tank.

x3. It was nice to be able to go home to a working toilet when the water to the clubhouse was cut off.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We feel the same way about carrying water for the above stated reasons and because we still like to do things spur of the moment and if we have water, we can detour anywhere and still have all the comforts of home. The only difference for us is that we always start out with a full tank of water. Adding a whole house R/O water system about 8 years ago is one of the best things we did. Since fills up our tank automatically so we just go with it. I'm so glad we do.

Day 6---how wonderful. The excitement will stay with you and one day you'll be like us and be amazed when we realize we are on our 19th year of fulltiming. I still can't believe it and we still love our lifestyle.

Don't fret about the obstacles, you encounter; finding the "fix" for them is part of the fun. Keep us posted as it is still exciting to read about those just starting out.

Hope to meet you on the road one day.Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Like Di, we always have at least 70% water onboard.....we also have whole house RO. Nice to not worry about water.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We completed our first week! Every day gets better as we get more organized and get the routine down.

Since its a rainy day here, we're going to work on our indoor stuff, making sure everything will be secure, working on our departure checklist and cleaning. We're here for 2 more weeks before we officially hit the road.

As some folks said above, the years of fulltiming will fly by before you know it. We are in our 6th year with no plans to give it up any time soon. I look back over my photos and still can't believe all that we have done and seen. How did all these fun adventures go by so fast!? You will have such wonderful times!

Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

We completed our first week! Every day gets better as we get more organized and get the routine down.

We were pretty much where you are almost exactly 15 years ago! I envy you a bit as it was a very exciting time and the years since have passed so very quickly. Savor every moment and experience. One day you will be wondering how the time went by so quickly. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

if I were to make any suggestion it would be to take copious amounts of digital photos. Let them sync to the cloud as you can. You will never regret it. In the short (3 years) of the traveling phase of our 7 years living in our RV full time, my only regret is that I wish I had taken a lot more photos and videos.

Occasionally, usually when doing something else with photos, I stumble across some and am immediately taken back to that place and time even though I have not thought about it since we left there.

Cloud services prevent your losing what you have taken and they are always available to view or share. Many, like Google Drive, are free and in the case of Google's service, any photos that are uploaded smaller than 75 meg or videos smaller than 10 gb, do not count towards your total space.

I had a bad combination of HD failure, backup failure and no cloud service and lost all my photos from 2004 - 2008 in one fell swoop. Never again.

Enjoy your life.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived