First GPS

kountryguy1

Howdy!

We've bend using a Samsung tablet and smartphone with Co-Pilot gps app for the last few years and it the only gps we need. Don't see a need for a stand alone gps unit if you have a tablet and/or smartphone with gps capibility. Co-Pilot app alsonhas a RV setting you can use.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefnen

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

We recently went with a Samsung tablet and the Co-Pilot GPS software. On the tablet we added campground search sites, Google Earth, and other truck and camping related apps. The other popular option is the Garmin 760 Dezl.

Are you runing the personal or truck version? Do you have to pay for updated maps? I like the looks of it. Looks VERY user friendly. I would love to pick your brain on it.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Don't forget Delorme's system that will run on a laptop or tablet. Tons of POIs and the big screen is a real plus. Cost is reasonable. Just software and a sat antenna in this package:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10122

WOW, this looks very involved. Plus I did not read that it had height, weight, width and hazard listings. Seems to be more of a car version to me. I love the idea of spending less so I could get a better laptop vs a having a stand alone GPS. But the GPS seems to be VERY simple compared.

If I go with a stand alone GPS, this will be the one.

We use our GPS in the car and even in other people's cars and for us the size of any laptop or tablet is just too much for convenient use. We both have laptops but don't want to fool with a tablet at this time so that system is out for us.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a Garmin GPS (an older one), StreetAtlas on a 13" laptop, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro tablet. The tablet runs CoPilot (the non-trucking version, even though we are a truck). We primarily use the tablet for navigation, and it works quite well.

Danielle uses StreetAtlas to do route research (when she does it) and generally uses it on her 13" ultra notebook like most people use Google Maps. She is gradually finding the virtues of Maps, but still likes SA. We no longer use SA for navigation although I will say it is quite good and we used it for probably 10 years as our primary navigation aid. Until the tablets got so good.

We ALWAYS have a Garmin dedicated GPS running as backup, and a paper map. About half the time the Garmin is only a "map" with no route in it.

If in areas where I know there is service I often run my Note 3 phone with Google Maps and a route in it. In local navigation there is nothing better than Maps.

If I was only buying one navigation device it would be a tossup between the tablet - which is generally useful - and a Garmin with a big screen. The Garmin is more reliable then the tablet. It ALWAYS works. The tablet is almost as reliable though. And I find the Co-Pilot mapping and the way the navigation works to be better than Garmin. But that is probably as much personal preference as anything.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for all your input. I should have mentioned that I don't have a smartphone or a tablet. I have a laptop, but too cumbersome to use while driving alone. My wife passe away acouple of weeks ago, thus my need for a navigation system. I would prefer my previous one , but not an option. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your input. I should have mentioned that I don't have a smartphone or a tablet. I have a laptop, but too cumbersome to use while driving alone. My wife passe away acouple of weeks ago, thus my need for a navigation system. I would prefer my previous one , but not an option. Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat as I do not have a smart phone or tablet now. Still using a desk top computer. But I will be full timing soon and need to make the change over to the 21st century.

We have a Garmin GPS (an older one), StreetAtlas on a 13" laptop, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro tablet. The tablet runs CoPilot (the non-trucking version, even though we are a truck). We primarily use the tablet for navigation, and it works quite well.

Danielle uses StreetAtlas to do route research (when she does it) and generally uses it on her 13" ultra notebook like most people use Google Maps. She is gradually finding the virtues of Maps, but still likes SA. We no longer use SA for navigation although I will say it is quite good and we used it for probably 10 years as our primary navigation aid. Until the tablets got so good.

We ALWAYS have a Garmin dedicated GPS running as backup, and a paper map. About half the time the Garmin is only a "map" with no route in it.

If in areas where I know there is service I often run my Note 3 phone with Google Maps and a route in it. In local navigation there is nothing better than Maps.

If I was only buying one navigation device it would be a tossup between the tablet - which is generally useful - and a Garmin with a big screen. The Garmin is more reliable then the tablet. It ALWAYS works. The tablet is almost as reliable though. And I find the Co-Pilot mapping and the way the navigation works to be better than Garmin. But that is probably as much personal preference as anything.

Thanks for the reply Jack. I have read A LOT of your posts and know that you are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to living on the road. The more I have been thinking about it, I really like the tablet route. I will get a 9-10 inch one so the screen will be LARGE. I think the speakers will be much better then a smart phone. And it will just have a ton more uses, as you know space is limited when living on the road. And having one thing be able to do many things is a HUGE bonus. I have heard that you want to be 10 inch plus as it makes surfing the web much better. I was told also to get one with Lolly Pop vs Kit Kat.

Now some deeper question-

1. Is there a tablet that you would recommend?

2. Data storage size, as some are fixed and other take mini sd cards.

3. Does ones internal gps work better then others?

Thanks for your incite and advise.

Another vote for Co-Pilot on a tablet or smartphone.

Tough loss... my heartfelt sympathy. Seriously.

I would get a smartphone and a data plan first. It won't take long for you to decide that a smartphone is almost a necessity. There are tools for the smartphone that are just too good not to have. GasBuddy, Days End, weather reports, etc. But most of them have a screen too small for what I like in a GPS (big enough to see). Until recently the Samsung Galaxy Note series (I have the 3 but there are newer versions) were the only ones that I thought were useful for navigation but now the iPhone has come up with a bigger one. I don't know if it has a built-in GPS or not though. The built-in GPS on the Note 3 is excellent.

Of course, the smartphone decision is a nest of worms all by itself (not including GPS versions). I moved over to Verizon 3 years ago because it has the best coverage AND because you can get an app that will allow a tablet or laptop to connect to the internet through it without paying exorbitant "tethering" fees. (Verizon has to offer free tethering because of a court decision.) That app is PDAnet and costs $7.95 "for a limited time". (The free version will cut your data off and require a restart.) It's worth the $7.95 one-time charge. http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/ . You should take note that PDAnet is not an official Apple app because your iPhone would have to be "jailbroken" to use it. Jailbreaking your iPhone is not difficult but there are some security issues and Apple issues to contend with. You need do nothing to use it on an Android smartphone other than hit "install".

We use a version of Co-Pilot truck that boots from an SD card that plugs into a Magellan 5" "Roadmate" stand-alone GPS system.

And, like Jack Mayer, we also have the regular Co-Pilot on a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and since that goes with us on all trips it gets used in the truck and in the car. You can get a cell service data plan for a tablet but buying a tablet with a data plan is, I think, too expensive. Almost all of them come with WiFi anyway and can get data if you have a Verizon smartphone with PDAnet for zero extra cost. i also think that a 7" tablet is better in a car or pickup than a 10" because of how much dashboard room it takes up. It's not an issue in our Class A DP because we have a 5-acre spread up there. But in my pickup a ten-inch tablet would, I think, be a PITA. But easy to see! Maybe the only thing easy to see. :P

Co-Pilot on a tablet is really easy to see as you can adjust it (the pinching motion of your fingers) for whatever view you need. The screens of tablets (and smartphones) are generally much better than stand-alone GPS units, too.

There are, by the way, free GPS apps for smartphones and tablets (and laptops, for that matter) that have free maps. Some are free. Some have free map updates, too. Make sure any GPS smartphone app you get has maps that are saved inside your device. Otherwise the phone will have to have a data connection in order to display maps (like Google Earth does). Here is a review of GPS apps for Android: http://joyofandroid.com/10-most-reliable-android-gps-navigation-apps-to-bet-your-life-with/. Not all of them have downloaded maps but the review tells you which ones do and which ones don't. Sygic is probably the best free GPS mapping system (but you have to pay for route directions and heads-up display). Heads-up Display is excellent but the displays can be faint in bright sun. They work best at night... but I don't drive the RV much at night.

I wouldn't want any GPS with less than a 5" screen. I say this because my wife's SUV has a GPS with a 3-1/2" screen.

I orefer a GPS that lets me enter my rig's profile: height, weight, length, etc. This pretty much limits me to "truck" type GPS units which are more expensive, generally, than car type. (Mind you, lots of RVers travel with car-type GPS units.)

If you want just one device that does everything you need it would be a large-format smartphone (Samsung Note or iPhone 6+) on a Verizon data plan with Co-Pilot truck software. This gets you to a point where you can then decide if you want it on a tablet.

Good luck!

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Are you runing the personal or truck version? Do you have to pay for updated maps? I like the looks of it. Looks VERY user friendly. I would love to pick your brain on it.

I'm using the personal version with map updates. If you go into the App site it will show you different versions of the personal level, with or without maps and other features. There is an area in the menu where you can switch to RV. If you go the tablet route, make sure it has a built in GPS. Most of the Samsung line does, but do your homework. As others have said, If we didn't have a tablet, the Garmin would be the preferred choice.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm using the personal version with map updates. If you go into the App site it will show you different versions of the personal level, with or without maps and other features. There is an area in the menu where you can switch to RV. If you go the tablet route, make sure it has a built in GPS. Most of the Samsung line does, but do your homework. As others have said, If we didn't have a tablet, the Garmin would be the preferred choice.

I now think a tablet is the way we are going to go for sure. But a good friend of mine says to get an I pad as they are MUCH BETTER built and are supported and built to last much longer.

So now I'm on the fence. I always thought I would go to the droid side or Apple side for everything.

And if i go Apple, it looks like I could buy Rands software. But the reviews on it are not that good at all.

There is lots to consider here, rynosback. I agree that you will find a smartphone generally useful on the road. You should seriously consider getting "modern", so to speak. Once you force yourself to use the features you will be amazed at what you can do. I personally like my Note 3 (Note 4 is the current model, and what you would get now). It is large enough to use as a mini-tablet, is great for local navigation, and is still small enough for a mans pocket. But phone choice is very individual so you really need to look at what meets YOUR fancy. You also need to consider data plans and provider. There are really only two providers to consider if you are travelling nationwide: Verizon and ATT. Verizon still probably has the best data coverage, but it is getting very close.

On the tablet - I personally like the Androids. To me they are far more complete than the Apple iPad. But the iPad "may" be easier to learn if you are totally computer challenged. But you can make an argument either way, there. On size - it is also a personal preference....and what you are doing. I have all the sizes, from my Note 3 Phablet at 5.7", a Nexus 7", a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro at 8.4", and two 10" Android tablet, an iPad mini, and a T100 10" Windows 8.1 hybrid that can run as a tablet or with an attached keyboard. My opinion is that in the truck and at my chair the 8.4" is about perfect. When I need bigger I typically go to my laptop. The 10" is nice, but as a tablet I find it a little unwieldy - but the screen size cannot be argued with. There I have the three choices - two Android and a Windows 8.1. I prefer the Windows most of the time in that larger form-factor. But it depends on what you are doing because the apps are different.

You simply will not beat Google Maps for local navigation on the phone. There is NOTHING better as long as you have a cell signal (yes, I know it can be used without a connection but I never do). It is far better than any dedicated nav device, but it is limited to areas with cell connection for best use. I ALWAYS use my Note 3 when locally navigating. On the road I do like the CoPilot - I use the Personal version. There is still a place for a dedicated GPS in some cases, for some people. It is a hard choice.....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Always carry a GPS, as alot of the back roads we have traveled, cell towers were few and far between.

Which is why I also always have a GPS......

www.jackdanmayer.com

Always carry a GPS, as alot of the back roads we have traveled, cell towers were few and far between.

Howdy!

Once you download the Co-Pilot gps app and maps to your device you nolonger need a data connection to use it. My tablet is WiFi only and use it to navigate when towing the 5er and never us a data connection unless I want to do a seach for something on the internet while in transit.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

But CoPilot is not data required. You install the program/ap and then it just uses the devices GPS receiver. Not worried about the car, as it has a GPS from the factory. This all started from the needed of something for truck while towing. As i was worried about height, width, weight and hazmats.

Archived