Glue my kayaks to the roof?

MoonTimber

I gave 3M another call to their automotive division. I got shuffled around a little but it only took 5 minutes this time to get to someone who was knowledgeable about adhesive products.

3M told me that for insurance purposes, there is no glue they can recommend to hold those anchors in place. For insurance purposes there has to be a nut and a bolt, or at the very least a screw.

The rep told me to bolt my anchor points to the sides of the RV and use 3M Marine 5200 or 5200FC adhesive. On fiberglass, 5200 has an overlap shear strength of 362 psi. On gelcoat it goes up to 519 psi. The rep at 3M said that strength is probably more than enough to hold the anchors in place on it's own but that I need to use a mechanical fastener to keep the insurance folks happy. This adhesive is also a sealant which makes it appropriate for keeping rain out of the holes I make. The only difference between 5200 and 5200FC, is that FC is fast cure. It's noticeably more expensive. The regular 5200 takes a week to cure, so if the RV is going to be driven around during the week after it is applied, it's better to use the 5200FC. If I'm going to work on this and the RV will sit in my driveway for a week then I should get the 5200.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived