Hewhoknowslittle front end repair

Hewhoknowslittle

Well, had the Volvo to another front end shop this week, got a 2nd opinion on what's going on.

First they found a bad or just loose drag link.

All spring bushings shot.

Caster way off.

Rear was out of align.

one front tire need balanced by 24oz.

Drove her home and took the long way with interstate and feels like they have found the fix, now need to make a long trip to make sure.

Total cost was about 1,600.00 dollars but less than new tires without the fix.

I will keep you all posted on my repairs.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

If it was replaced a Volvo dealer should be able to pull the record as only they did the replacements.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

The recalled drag link was a non-greasable TRW part, and covered 2001-2006 trucks, so that wouldn't apply here. For everyone else, if you have grease fittings, you've either already had the recalled part replaced, or didn't have it. The recall started in 2011, so if your truck hasn't seen a dealer since then, it might be worth at least a look at the drag link. It doesn't look like the VIN lookup tool on NHTSA's site covers heavy trucks, so it won't be of much use.

Looks like Phil is typing faster than I am (or got a head start)...

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

IF you don't have the drag link replacement done yet - and you qualify.....go out of the way to get this done ASAP. If it goes on you, it will be an experience you will talk about forever. Assuming you survive. And I'm not kidding about that. :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

Outside calling the dealer, is there a website where entering your VIN will bring up any recalls? When I had extensive work done several years ago the dealer said I didn't fall under the recall but would like to check myself.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, here are the recalls I found for your 2006

Most Recent Recalls For 2006 VOLVO VNL

2001-2006 VOLVO VNL STEERING:LINKAGES:LINK:DRAG:CONNECTION
Units affected: 63788 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2010-06-24 Summary: VOLVO TRUCKS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2006 VNL AND VNM TRUCKS MANUFACTURED WITH A TRW SEALED DRAG LINKS. CERTAIN FACTORS CAN EXIST, WHICH IF LEFT UNTREATED MAY RESULT IN A BALL SOCKET SEPARATION. more.gif

2001-2008 VOLVO VNL VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR

Units affected: 127764 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2009-05-21 Summary: VOLVO TRUCKS IS RECALLING 127,764 MY 2001-2008 VHD, VNL, VNM, AND MY 2005-2008 VT TRUCKS. A SEAL MAY FAIL ALLOWING WATER AND CONTAMINANTS TO SEEP INTO THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR. more.gif

2006-2009 VOLVO VNL SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
Units affected: 366 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2009-01-27 Summary: VOLVO TRUCKS IS RECALLING 366 MY 2006-2009 VNL TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH SUPER SINGLE TIRES, BENDIX BRAKE CAM TUBES, AND VOLVO AIR SUSPENSION. THE VIBRATION FREQUENCY FROM THE SUSPENSION WITH SUPER SINGLE TIRES MAY RESULT IN A FATIGUE CRACK OF THE MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR THE BRAKE CAM TUBE. more.gif

2003-2008 VOLVO VNL ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS
Units affected: 104845 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA
Report Date: 2007-12-14 Summary: ON CERTAIN HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS, THE CIRCUIT PROTECTION (I.E. AUTOMATIC CIRCUIT BREAKERS) USED TO PROTECT THE VEHICLE LIGHTING SYSTEM MAY NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION. more.gif

2003-2006 VOLVO VNL ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM
Units affected: 33102 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Report Date: 2006-01-26 Summary: ON CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH D12D ENGINES, THE EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) COOLER INLET PIPES OR THE PIPES THAT CONNECT THE EGR VALVES TO THE COOLER MAY CRACK OR BREAK. more.gif

2003-2006 VOLVO VNL WHEELS
Units affected: 1376 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Report Date: 2005-11-02 Summary: CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH FRONT STEER AXLE AIR SUSPENSION MAY DEVELOP A FRONT WHEEL WOBBLE WHEN THE TIRES BECOME WORN. more.gif

2004-2006 VOLVO VNL EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELS
Units affected: 958 VOLVO TRUCKS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Report Date: 2005-08-01 Summary: CERTAIN HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 120, "TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES OTHER THAN PASSENGER CARS." THE TIRE SIZE DESIGNATION ON THE CERTIFICATION LABEL IS NOT SHOWN. more.gif

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

my truck had the recall done to it. whats weird is mine is a 1998 (built late 1997)......

it was verified by my VIN with volvo and also checking the number on the draglink

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Wow. Parts made with "permanent" lubrication failing in service. I put myself thru technical school replacing ball joints on early to late 60's Ford Falcons and Mustangs with no grease fittings that failed in less than 25,000 miles. Did hundreds of them with the alignment made great money

And TRW made some of them. Don't these guys ever learn?

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff, .......right after you replaced the life-lubed ball joints the folks stopped by our shop and we popped in new zerk-fitted u-joints to replace the "no-lube-life-time joints ".......imagine a driveline running 2,000 to 3,000 all day long ..........never getting lubed......your right, they never learn.

"Grumps"always said "clean grease and fresh oil is the best value in trucking"!

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It's probably the money guys that control the lubed for life components content, not the engineers. If the parts supplier says that the part life under lab conditions will last the length of the warranty the cheap less expensive parts get installed at the factory. The repair service parts are manufactured to the suppliers engineer recommended specs with the grease fittings since they are usually parts that are common with other vehicles and machines.

Archived