Smart or Street legal UTV?

CDR

We now have a street legal UTV, with the bikes and motorcycles no reason to get a Smart.

Any one else using a UTV or golf cart for their run around vehicle?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

We now have a street legal UTV, with the bikes and motorcycles no reason to get a Smart.

Your street legal UTV is not legal in every state?? smart has a/c and heat and can be ridden in any weather??

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Your street legal UTV is not legal in every state?? smart has a/c and heat and can be ridden in any weather??

Yep,...only in certain states. From what I've heard,...there aren't many. But, they are fun to drive around on the streets and public backroads.

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

That's the rub for sure, you can ride the bike unless it's raining or you don't want your hair mussed,

but you can jump in in the Smart with your tails on and your off to the opera, high and dry. <_< .

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

We carry a car and UTV. Each has its place. When it is raining or cold we don't ride the UTV and I won't drive it on the highway. Off road tires are short lived on pavement but sure help where we ride. I can't imagine my DW would willing climb into the RZR to go out to dinner.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Yep,...only in certain states. From what I've heard,...there aren't many.

From what very little research I have done, it seems that there are very few that DO allow it and more that do not. And most of the ones that do limit the roadway type, some limit it to daylight use only, Wisconsin says that each city must pass an ordinance allowing it and then post signs designating each street that allows their usage on that road. No, for traveling, I'll stick with a vehicle that is legal everywhere

2014 smart Fortwo

These are street legal everywhere (even in CA as they are CARB compliant, even come equipped with small catalytic converters in the exhaust.) They go 60+ MPH, get 100 MPG, they even can go on trails like a UTV (with appropriate tires), and only weigh 150 lbs each. The best feature is cost - around $1,100 ea. (with shipping), the license and registration are cheap, and they only cost $99/yr to insure - for the pair! Plus, like a UTV they're lots of fun to ride too!

28cir6a.jpg

Of course you can't ride them in inclement weather, and the rear basket that attaches to the rack will only carry a single bag of groceries, but then again I can't fit a smart car in the bed of my 3/4 ton truck, nor can I double-tow one behind my trailer. ;) Two of these fit easily in the back of my pickup with room to spare for lots of other stuff like my generator, spare fuel, tools, etc. One of the neat advantages of having a pair of vehicles is both me and DW can go in two different directions at the same time for great versatility too. And if we need to carry a bunch of stuff (or attend the opera) we still have our F-250 LB, Supercab, Diesel which gets pretty good gas mileage (compared to a HDT, not a Smart) of around 17-19mpg avg. (low to mid 20s on the highway) when it doesn't have a trailer holding it back. It's easier to park than even a dually, much less a HDT, which DW could never climb in and out of with her bad knee (that's why we are choosing a TT over a fiver).

There's no "right" choice, just another option. Different strokes as they say.

Chip

From what very little research I have done, it seems that there are very few that DO allow it and more that do not. And most of the ones that do limit the roadway type, some limit it to daylight use only, Wisconsin says that each city must pass an ordinance allowing it and then post signs designating each street that allows their usage on that road. No, for traveling, I'll stick with a vehicle that is legal everywhere

Big5er;

Out west here, (Northwest). From Washington to Montana down to Arizona/New Mexico ( minus Cal.) With the $170 street kit offered by Rocky Mountain ATV , They are legal in 35mph and under zones (depending on city ordinance) on city streets . So to run to the store or play in the dirt they are legal, in some of the south eastern states also. Most states have 35mph streets that circumnavigate the state.

As to the climate control systems they have better HVAC systems then a Smart could ever have, more hp! A fully enclosed cab is offered by the OEM's and aftermarkets, with glass windows and wipers and defrost.

I just put this out there for discussion, but now looking at it from the dollars to cents mode. aka thanks for the prod! I bet the UTV will last longer than a Smart, for one most motorcycle shops can rebuild them. You can get parts for them all. Most are faster than any Smart. Can't take a Smart up a rock strewn road, at speed. Can't haul 1000lbs or pull 2000lbs with a Smart. Haven't seen a 4wd Smart yet. Should I go on?

Your probably right, should sell the UTV and get a Smart? Not.

As I stated in another post, it might not work for others. But it's perfect for us!

Cheers Bro,

If your ever out West give me a hollar!

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Sushidog;

I have had just about every kind of bike on the bed of my truck, including "real" Honda 70's. Auto (her's) and clutch (mine), my honest opinion if I'm gonna get hurt messing around on a motorcycle at my age. It's gonna be a new modern one.

Just my 2cents,

By the way my street legal Yamaha 2008 WR450 will go along as well.

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

I am guessing that you are considering a UTV because you need four drive off road capability. If so, take a look at a Suzuki Samurai. I had my Yamaha Rhino next to a Samurai and they are about the same dimensions (length, width, wheel base, track). The Samurai weighs in at about 2,000 pounds. If you shop wisely, you can find one in great shape, with many upgrades. There is a cult following for these little cars. Also, there is a kit that will allow engine swapping a 1900cc VW turbo diesel engine into them. But, be wary of the smog laws of your state, before swapping engines!

Jim

Chip: Those are nice and I bet a lot of fun.

Curt: I like your thinking especially about what might be more fun more often and if getting boofed, doing it while on a nice vehicle.

With the smart though, you already got your burial vault with you, so that part might be easier.

You ever notice that in the toter you can creep up to 80 MPH and not even notice then you get close to the ground, like in

the smart, and you think your going 100 when it's really 40mph. :)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

There are UTVs and then there are UTVs. My RZR I dont consider at all for driving on the street although I can legally but its the sports car type of UTV. Then you can buy a farm utility construction type like a Kubota that comes with an enclosed cab, diesel engine , heating and AC , possibly air horns and a cow catcher. All they do is get in my way....lol.

No UTV would work on any hiway so I dont use one for a toad...I have my 4x4 pickup that I can put the RZR on and then I have options...I can drive the truck 100 miles and offload the RZR and still have 150 mile range with the RZR. Or I can use just the truck or just the RZR.....I like my setup.

I guess it all comes down to our needs and expectations.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Big5er;

They are legal in 35mph and under zones (depending on city ordinance) on city streets

Most are faster than any Smart.

If they are faster than a smart, why are they only legal on 35mph streets and not allowed on highways?

My smart is legal on every road, in every state.

True, my smart won't go rock climbing but that wasn't the topic of your first post.

You UTV is not street legal in Texas and I also want to tow my kayak trailer. It would take me hours to get anywhere with my kayaks if I had to stay on 35mph roads rather than being able to tow on the a highway with my smart. To go from my current location to a kayak launch in Highlands, Texas it is 6.2 miles and takes me about 10 minutes to get there using the interstate. Since there are no service roads crossing the San Jacinto River on I-10, Hwy 90 or FM 1960 (all with speed limits 55 or greater), to get there on 35 mph roads the shortest route is 71.6 miles and will take an hour and 10 minutes. I doubt seriously that you could even find 35 mph roads that would get you from Houston to San Antonio or Dallas. Thanks, but I'll use a car for a car and a UTV for a UTV.

Like Jimalberta said " it all comes down to our needs and expectations". It seems to me that you are comparing apples to oranges.

2014 smart Fortwo

For what it's worth, I have a pile of UTV's in the shop and I'll be taking a Smart for transportation (eventually). Too many issues with using a UTV as road-based transportation for me.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

The laws allowing road use of UTV's are confusing and changing. In Colorado some counties allow it but the state doesn't. So these vehicles are allowed on some county roads but not state roads. It is very difficult to know which is which. I sometimes just take the RZR and then use the HDT as needed for road use. In Arizona I have been told that an Arizona license is required for road use but most are not bothered.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Let's see, smart has anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control, eight air bags, substantial roll over and/or impact protection, heat, AC, will run 80-85 MPH all day and is legal on any road in the US.

Any UTV have all of those?

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Let's see, smart has anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control, eight air bags, substantial roll over and/or impact protection, heat, AC, will run 80-85 MPH all day and is legal on any road in the US.

Any UTV have all of those?

On other tidbit nobody's mentioned"...............smart is cheaper.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks all, discussion brings enlightment across the board.

As I stated ones choice is not necessarily everyones choice.

I have to correct a few misgivings, they are cheaper depending on the make, model and application even with various options.

Myself I have never bought a vehicle I planned to wreck or because it was safer than the next, if I did I would not ride any 2 wheeler!

If I want to put big miles under my belt, 100 or more? That's what the HDT is for, alot more comfortable than a UTV or Smart.

I am really only referring to the major brands of UTV's in this discussion, so reliability is not an issue.

Once again, thanks to all!

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

There is a place for UTVs and a place for smarts....A smart is not going offroad like a UTV. A UTV is not as comfortable on-road as a smart. It is nice to have both options....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Sounds like there might be a market for an "off road" capable Smart sized vehicle. Now we just have to wait for someone to manufacture one.

Ha ha. Here you go. Too bad it won't fit behind the cab.

monstersmart.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Archived