Dog attacks

Retiredin1993

Always a judgment call but generally picking up a small dog to avoid trouble is always a bad idea. It just triggers the prey instinct. Anything to heighten tension is a bad idea as once a dog is in red zone they typically not respond. Most charging dogs will pull up as soon as they meet your dog. Yes ultimately the dog owners are at fault but that really is beside the point because there will be irresponsible owners. Tensing your body and being aggressive is just counter productive. I also have trained a dog and to read someone above who claims to be a trainer say he would deal with a situation by killing an animal is shocking and sickening.

Dave and Lana Hasper

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used non-expired pepper spray on a medium-sized attacking dog while I was walking my dog on a leash in a public roadway in my neighborhood. I hit Fritzi with a stream at close range from his nose up through the middle of his eyes. Fritzi kept attacking, bit my dog on the face drawing a bit of blood, and the owner screaming at me accusing me of being on her property (?!!). The pepper spray had zero effect, and I was surprised, of course. And, as others have mentioned you have to be very careful of the wind factor and your own animal and self. I developed a Fritzi Stick which was a good-sized wooden walking stick with some weight to it and a spike protruding from the bottom. Fritzi got poked once, left us alone. I don't think there has been a park at any level (Federal, State, Local) where we don't encounter loose dogs on trails w/ their owners with the dogs becoming aggressive at other dogs. I have reported incidents to Park Rangers and never any real interest as they have to view the incident themselves. When I reported one guy coming out of Lake Mary at Glacier to a ranger that was also coming out - she was aware and said she reminded him his dog needed to be on a leash at all times; he didn't even bother carrying a leash as his dog ran along happy and free for the day and most likely keeps on pulling the same routine everywhere he goes every day. If people were fined, word would get out, but it is easier for authorities to do nothing. We have encountered too many loose dogs in our day in parks and campgrounds w/ dogs ahead of their owners, who start to posture for an attack; their owner either freezes, doesn't know what to do, yells: Don't worry, they're friendly (NOT!), or choose not to intervene probably for their own safety. It's a real dilemma for the law-abiding camper/hiker. When a loose , aggressive dog gets within striking distance of our dogs on a leash, both myself and husband will step forward to equalize the situation and not have our dog retreating and being at a dangerous disadvantage; seems (so far) to stop the aggression of the attacking dog. There is a point where you have to give your dog its head and not endanger your pet by trying to keep it restricted while the other dog is circling. Our dogs are too big to scoop up in our arms to try to save. I once was alone with my 50# Siberian Husky while two large labs attacked -- me kicking, screaming, trying to stay in between - and I did pick up my dog in desperation. There was at least a dozen people in the area and not one person attempted to come to my rescue or do anything. The owners came over saying that I 'really had nothing to worry about because (their) dogs well trained' - !!!!! I think there are a ton of stories out there waiting to be told, right?

Why can't people obey the rules of the RV Parks? Do they even read them? I guess some people think the rules don't apply to them. Especially with dogs not on leashes. This morning there was a pit bull out not on a leash.

One lady by my daughter carries a cattle prod. When walking her dog. or even by herself.

Just out of curiosity, what is the voltage output on the cattle prod. Years ago, when I looked into them, they were about 10,000 volts. Unless I am incorrect, the cattle prods are designed to "gently" move cattle along. 10,000 volts sounds like a lot until you compare them to "over the counter" shocking devices, that are rated at 1,000,000 volts, or more.

Years ago, I had a DAAHH moment and accidentally (the unit I have has to be discharged, once activated) zapped my thigh muscle with a 1,000,000 volts. It almost dropped me to the ground. I earned an Honorable Mention for the Darwin Award! :rolleyes:

I liked the cattle prods because they were ruggedly built.

What I would love to have is a lightweight, ruggedly built six foot walking stick with a 12" spike on one end and 2,000,000 volt capability on the other end, with replaceable batteries. Also, a bright LED located about midpoint and an ultraviolet light down by the spike would be desirable.

Anybody want to design/build one? This walking stick has been on my project "bucket list" for ten years. However, I now have more projects than I have time to complete them all. If you are interested, email me at jdengineering@sbcglobal.net.

Jim

I have found that by stepping between my dogs and the loose dog(s), and giving a very loud, very firm "NO", the offending dog moves away. If the dog is smaller than mine, I'll let my 2 take care of themselves. In my experience, small dogs are the worst.

I don't know what is worse, loose dogs or people who don't pick up their dog's turds. Both are annoying as hell.

I used to train advanced obedience for years with our local club and I am used to dogs with a bit of an attitude but the biggest problems we have had are with large dogs attached to small kids that can't handle them. As they are being dragged over towards me they keep screaming "he's friendly" and their dog might be but I am walking a Cattle Dog with an attitude. He is under control and on a leash but he is dog aggressive and I will not fault him for taking a chunk out of someones dog that invades his space and family.

People need to understand that keeping their dog under control will keep them safe.

If I ever am attacked by a breed capable of doing me permanent harm, the owner will not need to worry about that particular dog attacking someone else......I don't dial 911 until it is over and done with.

Georgia, Right on....

Several years ago I was working in a forest section of our Central Oregon Beach property when a large spruce tree root fouled the left front track sprocket and blade arm on my mini-excavator..........I shut the mini down and grabbed a 24' Crescent wrench and crawled down half way under the machine to release the 3" track-slack-adjuster nut when all of a sudden "something" really bit down HARD on my left foot boot.....being half trapped under the machine I cocked my head as best as I could to see that a HUGE +200 lb fairly rare local German breed dog was trying to rip my steel toe boot off........so.......since I was pretty "busy" I just pulled the 24" Crescent wrench off the nut and with a swift swing landed a nice full face shot right along the dogs head.........Dog seem to go right to "sleep".......since I was still under the machine I took a couple minutes to clear the root out and then climbed out to look at the dog..... Not being a dog medic I assumed the ole 24" wrench had "adjusted" the dog for the last time........I climbed on the mini, started it up and backed up a bit the swung the bucket around and pushed the big dog sideways into the brush and then went back to my brush clearing.......

A few hours later I was done clearing brush so I thought that I would use the mini to scoop a deep grave and push the big dog into the grave and fill it in a minute or two.....you know what..... when I drove the mini to the spot where the dog was........he was gone.....just some crooked dog tracks in the fresh dirt..........

A couple weeks later I rode my bike down to the beach and normally the big dog would chase and bark along the fence......not ever again did he bark or chase along the fence......oh no .......EVERY time I would go by that yard the big dog ran right into his dog house.......so I guess you can teach a big dog "NEW tricks" ( all you need is a 24" wrench.....)

I told the dog owner what happened and he said " oh I'll bet you were mortified......I said oh no, I was concerned that I might miss the dog and hit my foot but all worked out ok........but don't ever that dog near me again ........the mini can did a dog grave 12 ft deep..........

We humans are the "top dog"........ people who keep mean dogs puzzle me......seems pretty dumb....

Drive on ..........(and carry a 24" wrench......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

"that a HUGE +200 lb fairly rare local German breed dog" cough cough....must be very rare since german shepherds and dobermans top out at 85 lbs and Rottweilers get up to 135lbs.

Dave and Lana Hasper

"that a HUGE +200 lb fairly rare local German breed dog" cough cough....must be very rare since german shepherds and dobermans top out at 85 lbs and Rottweilers get up to 135lbs.

Rare is the word to focus on........... cough, cough..........your "little Rottweller will likely freeze to death in the shadow of.....a German Landseer........look them up they get HUGE!!

Trust me...... it takes a heck-of-a-hard-headed dog to wake up and walk away from a well swung 24" wrench...........

Here is the chilling fact........about 800 ft down at the end of our property were a pair of 5 & 7 year girls playing in there grandparents open yard........no these girls do not play with 24" wrenches so they would have been out of luck..........

Mean dogs are dumb and dangerous to have around........

Drive on.......(don't get bit........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landseer_(dog)

Sized like a Newfie.

Temperament[edit]

The Landseer Newfoundland dog is known for its sweet disposition, gentleness, and serenity. They enjoy swimming, and tend to drool, though not as much as some other giant breeds. While the Landseer European Continental Type is also sweet, affectionate and enjoys swimming he is quite different from the Landseer Newfoundland in regard to response, agility and speed.

I don't think the US recognizes them as a breed but calls them Newfoundlands (just a color variant). In fairness to the breed they usually are gentle giants. I would not want to be in your shoes, or in this case your boot, messing around with one of them.

Dave and Lana Hasper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landseer_(dog)

Sized like a Newfie.

Temperament[edit]

The Landseer Newfoundland dog is known for its sweet disposition, gentleness, and serenity. They enjoy swimming, and tend to drool, though not as much as some other giant breeds. While the Landseer European Continental Type is also sweet, affectionate and enjoys swimming he is quite different from the Landseer Newfoundland in regard to response, agility and speed.

To be fair I am not sure why someone would want to take a big dog known for it's gentle nature and then change it into a aggressive Dangerous animal........like I said in my first post.......people who own Dangerous dogs puzzle me..........the Big-Dangerous-Dog IS a problem for sure.......the Owner is the REAL problem.

My wife has been into horses all of her life and we tend to own very well breed horses for almost their entire life (Annie, previous horse to Dolly was with us almost 31 years) The horse is with us every day and is very well trained and re-trained and we are rewarded with a very nice horse........Very few horse owners actually can or will invest the HUGE amount of TIME, effort, and money to keep a horse in top shape.......

So this begs the question.......do you really want to be around a 1,150 POUND animal that has a foul temper........folks this is NOT going to be a fair fight.........In the horse world some folks talk about the "Helicopter-Ride".......That is when your horse throws you off and then dances on top of you then IF you are still alive they med-vac you to the bone-puzzelmaster to put humpty-dumpty back together again......

For the most part the dog-bites-man-woman subject of this thread is about dogs and adults BUT things change much for the worst when our younger grandkids are attacked by Dangerous-dogs...........the young kid and dog attack is NOT fair fight at all.....the dog wins the fight....

Like I said.......people who own Dangerous-Dogs puzzle me.......

DT, probably just trying to pull you to safety after that tonka toy fell on yer noggin. :o:lol:

No doubt. There's never a shortage of folks that have no business owning an animal... or procreating. ;)

Right on Yarome......

When ever I go play logger I tend to dress for the part with Heavy Carhart covies cork-knee boots chain-saw chaps, glove, tin-lid (hard-hat) and my trusty 24" Cres-Wrench so........I was dressed for success as they say.......

The tell truth the first thought to flash into my pea-brain was that one of the Black Bears that den-up on our property had happened by and might think I was too close to her cubs........NOT a good place to be.........Here is the funny part.......when I glanced around and saw a 200 lb dog and NOT a mad-moma-bear I thought COOL things are looking much better........

As a Big-Geezer dangerous-dogs can be a pain-in-the-kister.......that I can deal with........But I shudder every time I hear about little kids that these dogs kill or disfigure for life.........

Like I said.......people who own Dangerous-Dogs puzzle me.......

Drive on.........(Keep aware........)

While is is fine to say the OWNER is the real problem, that does not help you when faced with an aggressive dog. Most can be pretty easily "defeated", but take appropriate measures to protect yourself. We routinely encounter mildly aggressive dogs. Only a handful of times have we seen really "bad" dogs. But you need to be prepared.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

While is is fine to say the OWNER is the real problem, that does not help you when faced with an aggressive dog. Most can be pretty easily "defeated", but take appropriate measures to protect yourself. We routinely encounter mildly aggressive dogs. Only a handful of times have we seen really "bad" dogs. But you need to be prepared.

Indeed most RV folks tend to "visit" fairly "civil" locations and once in a while the RV-dog meets a fellow RV-dog and often they do not agree ( do you suppose dogs can be conservatives and or libs??? no I don't want to get into politics here). But you don't know when it is a Bad-Dog so think ahead and have a plan for the worst.

We don't have a dog(s) so for the most part we do not tend to attract too many dogs and since we often RV with Dolly-the-paint-horse we seldom stay at "normal RV parks". RVing with a horse is fairly low-key affair most of the time.........However sometimes a Bad-dog(s) seem to be attracted to a horse once in a while........IF it is only ONE Bad-Dog the horse back hooves tends to be pretty 'effective" in dealing with the dog....

Once in a while TWO or more Bad-Dogs will attack a horse and often the horse loses and if the horse owner is lucky the vet bills will be only a few thousand $$$..........IF you are unlucky you will need to have the horse put down.

Dealing with a horse / dog fight can be tough.......of the three species humans are the slowest runners with often the horse #1 and the dog #2 and the human way far distant #3 in the race... The horses problem is almost never do they have enough room to out-pace the dog(s)......the humans problem that often the dog and the horse are moving around in a large enough space the the human can have limited options to deal with the matter....

About at this point someone will say........well if you have a horse you must have a gun......maybe I do.... BUT if you have a Horse / Dog problem do you really need to elevate it to a Horse /Dog/ GUN problem!!!

I am not Clint Eastwood / Dirty Harry so I tend to keep the cannon in the holster and deal with this as they unfold. We tend to keep Dolly in a fairly small pasture and or turn-out stall where IF a Bad-Dog(s) feel the need to attack Dolly I can toss them over the fence as needed.......I have a “dog toss method” and it works well...

Today at the market I met a old school mate who is a retired cop and I mentioned the Bad-Dog subject and how I am somewhat puzzled that so many folks own aggressive dogs......Dennis chuckled and said “well we grew up in Mayberry and Biff Borden at the junk-yard had the baddest-dog in town.....for a reason and we ALL knew the reason”. Biff's Bad-Dog ONLY bit “midnight-auto-parts-shoppers” in his junk-yard.

Dennis said “fast forward to now.........the right Bad-Dog is worth a lot of money to local-drug-punks or some “preppers” or “dumb-motcho-types......these folks pay big money to folks that breed BAD-Dogs and the fairly bad dogs are sold for less money into the general dog population”.

A lot of dog breeders don't agree that this is happening......but......they don't have to "deal" with crazed dogs during a drug raid.

With many thousand of Foul-Tempered dogs being bred every year it is likely to have some less than desirable outcomes in the general dog populations......

Now I am not so puzzled.........oh, the times are a changing..........

Drive on.........( Keep Dog-Alert......)

When going on walks or hikes I carry my trusty Mace spray and my walking stick which after i spray in their eyes; i will then hit them right between the eyes or on the end of the nose. Never forget the German police dog when i was delivering newspapers on my bicycles who bit me on the backside. I got off the bike and used it to beat it silly. B)B)

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Dennis said “fast forward to now.........the right Bad-Dog is worth a lot of money to local-drug-punks or some “preppers” or “dumb-motcho-types......these folks pay big money to folks that breed BAD-Dogs and the fairly bad dogs are sold for less money into the general dog population”.

A lot of dog breeders don't agree that this is happening......but......they don't have to "deal" with crazed dogs during a drug raid.

With many thousand of Foul-Tempered dogs being bred every year it is likely to have some less than desirable outcomes in the general dog populations......

Now I am not so puzzled.........oh, the times are a changing..........

Drive on.........( Keep Dog-Alert......)

Noting new "Bad Dogs " are also trained to be that way, not just bred.

Been going on since the 80's.

I could have made a LOT Of money if I was willing to train these dogs. Each time I was approached, the answer was "No, thank you. I don't do that type of training."

Many ethical trainers said the same thing.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Excellent advice given above: 1. FIRST AND FOREMOST - Always, always be aware of who and what is in the immediate area.

This applies to a lot of things like on the news last night an individual was walking across a street texting and a bike rider rode past and stole the smart phone. Click here for video

Also when walking to your car in a parking lot have your keys in hand before you leave the building and be aware of who is around you. ALWAYs check your back seat before you get in.

In April we were walking our dog around the RV park, DH teases me about my walking stick but when two very large dogs charged us I just had him get behind me with our Springer Spaniel and I yelled "NO" several times and spread my arms out with the walking stick. (It is very light weight and the pair was under $20.00 at Walmart) They immediately stopped but continued barking. The owner of the dogs ran up took the dogs and apologized. Now DH doesn't mind me keeping the stick by the front door and I always take it with me when I walk. I also carry a whistle originally just to get my dogs attention. I learned in a hunting class that 3 whistle blows signals the need for assistance not that many people would recognize it but a whistle may carry farther than yelling? I try to be aware of my surroundings but these dogs were in a site behind a row of trees with a hedge on the bottom and I didn't see them till they charged out of the bushes.

The park did, as many do, have written rules that dogs must be leashed but DH always says "that is only for people that read" fine print and legalese clutter up many a park brochure and office entrance. Wish there was a way to get the important stuff across quickly and easily. Much of it would seem to be common sense? Graphics vs text may help? Couldn't get these sample signs to post so here are the links:

Dog Leash and Pick up poo Sign:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7dtYwdceKtfNOdjzBcDFSHDGsOR2hx3ZXz1cuCjgS8Cal57f-

Quiet Hours Sign:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJZXTgZhlzH6kTGeTZR49fwNxMHxXOVJByyk3DFIaN-Iqn6KdO

Found this cattle prod on Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Miller-SS-36-Sabre-six-hot-shot-Stock/dp/B000LF652Q

I would be concerned about the battery life?

Here are a couple of articles on what to do if attacked by a dog:

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/biting/When-Dogs-Attack

http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

I have one of these saddle bags on my leash handle and keep waste bags in one side and dog treats in another. I don't know that I would try to give treats to a dog that is charging me but have used them to help others catch their dogs that got off their leashes.

http://cdn.petsuppliesplace.com/images/P/p-59250.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I carry mace and a hiking stick. The hiking stick saved my dog once when I used it to keep a dog off of my dog, who was trying to hide behind my legs. I have no qualms about hitting a dog that's trying to hurt me or hurt my dog. It's sad that people are so irresponsible that they make the dogs mean - then let them out to roam around causing trouble. I'm glad your dog is ok but I was holding my breath, waiting to read that it was a Pit Bull that attacked. I own a part Pit, part Boxer, a little 39 lb. package of love wrapped in white hair with pink highlights and yellow eyes. She's gorgeous and loves everyone. And she gets jumped on all the time. Thankfully she's also very submissive. She'll get behind me and lay down and leaves the fighting up to me. Protect yourself then call the authorities to capture the dogs. Don't let them roam around out there to scare or hurt others. We have laws - I don't know why they aren't more strictly enforced. If they make the fines more punitive, this might not happen as often.

Beverley Hughes

"Molly Marine" USMC Veteran

FT since December 2006

2011 Rockwood Ultralite TT

2014 Chevy Silverado

Traveling with Skye, Gracie, Angel and Peaches

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I can't believe why people need so many pets. This last weekend at a campground I was at just about every camper had a dog. Some had not one, not two but three. Why on earth need three? One with three left somewhere during the day just to leave the three yipping in the motorhome all day. Some guy was walking his dog on a leash and my grandaughter wanted to go pet it. I no sooner explained to her not to just go pet strange puppies you don't know because they might bite, and a dog comes running out from the site beside us and starts attacking the dog on the leash. My grandaughter was spooked....

I can't believe why people need so many pets. This last weekend at a campground I was at just about every camper had a dog. Some had not one, not two but three. Why on earth need three? One with three left somewhere during the day just to leave the three yipping in the motorhome all day. Some guy was walking his dog on a leash and my grandaughter wanted to go pet it. I no sooner explained to her not to just go pet strange puppies you don't know because they might bite, and a dog comes running out from the site beside us and starts attacking the dog on the leash. My grandaughter was spooked....

Don't know why the quantity? We have one dog and being first time dog owners that is a handful for us but we wouldn't give her up for anything.

A couple of things I have read over the years:

Many Boomers getting their first dog now that they have an empty nest.

Increase in the number of DINKS (Dual Income No Kids) Many industrialized countries birthrates have been in decline for several years. Pets taking the place of kids???

Many people "Humanize" their pets ie apparel, accessories etc. Before we moved away from the agrarian and industrialized societies to service industries animals had a purpose on the farm ie to heard or scare off unwanted animals. On the farm my grandpa and my uncles would never have had a dog in the house.

The emphasis these days is on "shelter animals" : the commercials to rescue them pull at your heartstrings people may adopt more than they can handle?

I can't believe why people need so many pets.

I can't speak for any one else, but for me, I have one pointer (English Setter) and two flushers (English Springer Spaniels). This combination of bird dogs can really terrorizes the desert bird community. The setter, sticks her noise in the air and starts to stalk up wind, sniffing for the slightest scent of a bird. She turns into a doggy radar, with her head moving left to right adjusting for the changing wind conditions.

The spaniels are like crazy banshees. They ziz zag back and forth on a "mission." Their nose is about one inch of off the ground and they are running at full speed. I never figured out how they keep from tearing up their nose on the rocks. When they approach a rock, their nose simply lifts up, just enough to clear the rock. Amazing to watch!

And, then . . . and then . . . finally a bird is chased into the air. I raise my 60 year old, side by side, 16 ga. I lead the bird and pull the trigger. And, then . . . And, then . . . I miss once again. The pups are pzzed off at me. But, they are forgiving and the chase starts all over again.

Sometimes, although this is frowned upon by serious bird dog aficionados, I let my pups chase a jack rabbit. The smaller Flusher, Sadie, is the only one with the speed and agility to catch one.

So, this is why I have three dogs.

Some day, I am going to make it to the Dakotas and terrorize the pheasant community. They are a lot bigger and slower than quail and chukar. Maybe I will be able to hit one. :)

Archived