Question on EMAIL providers for full-timing

Hi, Sorry if this topic is somewhere else here. I just can't find the answer and it is getting urgent for me! I am with a big internet/cable company, and I'm about to go fulltime. Went to cancel all cable stuff then realized, holy cow, what about my email :wacko: ? I'm learning about how to get online but who provides EMAIL service for fulltime types? Maybe I am just missing something and it is an easy answer. Thanks for any help or recommendations!

04 Silverado 2500HD Diesel, 09 Forest River Fifth Wheel 35' (38')

G-mail, Yahoo!, etc.

I use both.

Free.

Never set up an e-mail account with the likes of Comcast, because, as you found out, when you cancel servic, in most cases, you will lose your e-mail account as well.

One other thing that works for me.

I have one g-mail account that I use exclusively for business matters. Things like banking, insurance, etc

Then a Yahoo account I use for social purposes only.

Then another I use if I have to register to use a free site. This is the account that attracts most of the spam. My "business" account attracts almost none.

Enjoy your travels.

Gmail seems to work best for most, or if you are creating your own domain name you can use you@yoururl.com. Sometimes hotmail account clients don't receive our auto search set up emails we've personally found when sending stuff to some folks who've requested the info.

Also if you have had your email address for a long time as it is and afraid of missing some emails, you could ask them if you can pay a small amount to retain that email address until you are confident everyone that matters has your new gmail address then sever the ties We pay $7 a month for a business email address we have over 20 years with a major telecom company here. 10 years ago we moved into an area which that company can't service us for our internet needs. Our replies have always since come out of our new address since the move, but ironically we had a client from 18 years ago contact us throug that old address within the past 6 months and do several thousand dollars of business with us. Before you give up your current email address just make sure you won't be affected negatively by doing so!

Thanks folks who have responded! I was in a panic of ignorance. Since I am moving out the house it seems I have to give up that email account, had it since '97. I asked if I could keep it, but the rep said since I'm leaving CO to eventually domicile in FL I'd have to create new there (Comcast/Bellsouth). I feel so much better now. I think there is so much on my plate with this big change I just had a brain "fade". Ed ed, funny thing, I was planning on having a small Alfred E. sticker on the fiver. Sometimes lose track of the What Me Worry mantra though. :)

One more thing - do you know if your existing email content can be transferred to gmail or yahoo?

Thanks again for the help.

Cox Cable will happily sell you their ISP services with no connection. You get e-mail, storage AV tools and the like for under $10 per month. If you don't get everything forwarded for a while it can be simple to just keep your old account active until you are ready to close it. Other ISPs may offer the same thing if you can get a sales person that cares to actually look it up.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

+1 for gmail. I've used it for years even though I admin several email servers for clients (and have a bluehost account). The spam filtering is great (and free - which may not be the case at all of them) and there is a ton of storage.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

. Ed ed, funny thing, I was planning on having a small Alfred E. sticker on the fiver. Sometimes lose track of the What Me Worry mantra though. :)

That's me, alright. Not smart enough to know what I should be worrying about.

One more thing - do you know if your existing email content can be transferred to gmail or yahoo?

I really doubt it. Totally incompatible systems.

If you have something important, set up your new account then send yourself the old e-mails you want to save.

Transferring your contacts is another issue. When I got away from Comcast the best I could do was to print out my Comcast contacts then manually enter them into either Yahoo or G -mail. Then you can import the Yahoo/G-mail contacts from one platform to the other. That way you only have to type in the contacts once.

Enjoy your travels

Ed

other free options - outlook.com. or live.com

You can also get your own domain name and attach that to some of these accounts (may cost some money monthly fee) or get your own hosting service with email and attach those domains and use that as your email.

But this is not necessarily as simple as just using one of the free email services

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Although I have several email addresses - yahoo, live, CompuServe - I use an email client that resides on my computer (Thunderbird, it's free) and download all of my emails to it. I keep that backed up weekly.

I use Mailwasher to prescreen and delete the junk. Thunderbird can be set up to download from several addresses.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Thanks folks who have responded! I was in a panic of ignorance. Since I am moving out the house it seems I have to give up that email account, had it since '97. I asked if I could keep it, but the rep said since I'm leaving CO to eventually domicile in FL I'd have to create new there (Comcast/Bellsouth). I feel so much better now. I think there is so much on my plate with this big change I just had a brain "fade". Ed ed, funny thing, I was planning on having a small Alfred E. sticker on the fiver. Sometimes lose track of the What Me Worry mantra though. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Are we twins??? LOL!! Cause I'm going through the same emotions! Too funny!

I use Gmail. I've tried Yahoo, Hotmail, Fastmail and something else I forgot, but Gmail seems to really cover all the bases plus features and usability. You can usually transfer your contacts over from another email account.

Hang in there!!!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Thanks again everyone! It was so great to get these answers! I actually googled How to Cancel Comcast, knowing what I was in for. It is hard to pry myself from their grip, fees, etc.! But I was looking forward to it. Since I had a gmail account already, I think I was forced to get one when I got an android a few years ago, I went in there, and was able to import most of my (numerous & old) emails. (Also googled how to do that.) It seems to have brought in all of the inbox, but not my other folders or sent. I can re-send those to myself. Maybe I will go with another email later, but at least your advice got me out of the email panic. Now if I could get my house of 22 years emptied and on the market! Soon! Begin fulltime 4/1. Happy travels to all of you, and many thanks!!!

Well done! I was going to suggest that if you use IMAP or POP with Thunderbird or Outlook you can bring all your email onto one machine and then export them up to Gmail. The issue is always the folders which usually either have to be completely redone or at least somewhat redone.

For many years everyone used POP email but with all the storage available on the servers now you can safely use IMAP; this can also protect you from having a failure of your own computer's storage.

So you're all set. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

as for your contacts send an email to yourself, with some of the contact Cc. This is especially helpful if you cannot download.

But I have found most contacts can be Exported as a CVS file.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

For $6.99 a month, you can get a 1&1 MyWebsite package which includes a free domain name and 200 email accounts. I have been using them for over 8 years. Even if you don't create a website, it's still a pretty good price for someone that needs several email accounts and their own domain name. Like ed ed, you can use one of your email accounts only when you are required to provide an email address to register. Then, when spam gets to be too much, you can delete that account and create another.

http://www.1and1.com

Archived