Best Penetrating Oil - Test Results

Skip Tamm sent this to me and asked me to post it. I posted it here instead of the HDT forum since I thought it generally applicable. Interesting results and consistent with what I have seen in other tests.

“Machinist’s Workshop” recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for “break out “torque” on rusted nuts and bolts. A subjective test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” bolt. Average torque load to loosen nut:

No Oil used ……………………516 foot pounds
WD-40 ………………… ……..238 foot pounds
PB Blaster …………………….214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ………………….127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil …………………….106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix…………………. 53 foot pounds

The ATF/Acetone mix is a “home brew” mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this “home brew” released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.

ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a50/50 mix. ATF = Any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid.

This version of the story was in one of the Military Vehicle Club newsletters.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

How do they produce "scientifically rusted" nuts/bolts? Did they make up say 200 and test 50 for the "no oil" to set a baseline & look for deviations?

Then how many did they do for each product to minimize the effect of baseline variations? Like everything - the devil is in the details.

Bottom line - if they threw a bunch in a bucket of saltwater until they looked rusted and did one bolt each - the results are meaningless.

I am part of the antique and classic car scene. When we are taking apart a sixty year old car it can get pretty difficult. So a good test for the above products is tested very well and the results are pretty much as posted.

Thanks for this Jack

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

After years of working on cars in the rust belt, the best I have found is beeswax. You simply warm the part with a propane torch, doesn't have to be hot, and melt some beeswax onto the rusted fitting. I was skeptical at first but it is amazing how well it works.

Rich

Hey, I'm just posting info I found interesting. I've read several "tests" that reached the same conclusion - several by people that were skeptical of the ATF/Acetone mix. But if you don't believe it then keep doing what you do now....I know I'll keep using my liquid wrench...because I have it.

It is valid to be concerned about flammability. But consider how flammable some of these other products are.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Thanks for the info Jack. I am surprised that Fluid Film is not on the list. I was given a can of it and was super impressed on how well it worked on rusted up bolts. WD40 works good for fast cleaning of a gun but other than that pretty worthless. IMHO

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Hey, I'm just posting info I found interesting. I've read several "tests" that reached the same conclusion - several by people that were skeptical of the ATF/Acetone mix. But if you don't believe it then keep doing what you do now....I know I'll keep using my liquid wrench...because I have it.

It is valid to be concerned about flammability. But consider how flammable some of these other products are.

I wasn't suggesting that you were advocating any of the substances. I am sorry if you felt I was somehow concerned about one of "your" recommendations. I appreciate you posting the study results. I was only expressing my reservations with the "winner" of the study as for me and me only I have always viewed acetone as a substance a bit too volatile for my tastes.

"I have always viewed acetone as a substance a bit too volatile for my tastes."

Don't get near methylene chloride (also called Dichloromethane or DCM), since it is more volatile than acetone. It will also put insects to sleep instantly, which I found useful as an ignorant youth dealing with wasp nests.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I seem to always find a use for acetone and if my can is empty I just borrow a splash of the wife's nail polish remover that is acetone with something flowery added to mask the smell. Mixing up a few drops of trans fluid and acetone for a nut really sounds good compared to having to keep one of the other good options available as rarely as I need something.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Mariner - an interesting experiment. Please report back. But if it is that stubborn then it likely will not come off. You will have to cut it off, or heat it.

www.jackdanmayer.com

For really rusted bolts I use an acetylene torch and get it red hot , spray it with a penetrating oil of choice, let it cool a bit and apply wrench.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Thanks for the info Jack. I am surprised that Fluid Film is not on the list. I was given a can of it and was super impressed on how well it worked on rusted up bolts. WD40 works good for fast cleaning of a gun but other than that pretty worthless. IMHO

Does a great job cleaning up grease and road tar. . . Don't like it for much else.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

The Acetone and ATF works wonders in the marine world. Acetone will wick into the smallest micron size cracks and break the bond. The ATF then lubricates the metal surfaces decreasing the friction letting the 2 parts move against each other.

Acetone vapor is heavier than air, so don't let it trap in a low area. A small bottle/can like the size of a PVC glue can will last awhile if you seal it when not using it. The ATF will remain but the Acetone may evaporate out, but you can add back to it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I personally have used and still do Kroil successfully. WD40 for removing decals and such. PB Blaster I have some as well. So I have tried and have on hand a lot of stuff. I will use the ATF and acetone next when I have a need for such. Of course torch or nut spliter always works if they can be used and not destroy something else unintentionally in the process. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Nut splitters work but dont buy them from Harbor Freight...lol. The splitter has to be harder than the nut you are trying to remove. I have one that is only good for a paper weight.

kroil was the lubricant of choice for the fitters working on the turbines at the power stations in my area that I worked at, it was very expensive down here in oz for a 44 gallon drum and I think the power stations were

one of the few places that had it and still do as they are owned and run by the state government and the

procuring officers couldn't give a stuff about the price and just ordered it.

we even had the the alumina refinery in the area ring the power station hierarchy wanting to buy 20litres

of it because they desperately needed some and didn't want to spring for a 44gallon drum full

It is excellent stuff and worked well on those big bolts that held the turbines together

I will have to give the atf and acetone a go sometime.

mick

Thanks for posting the results Jack. I'll mix up a couple ounces for that really stubborn gas tank drain plug I can't remove from my 1932 Chevrolet. Ya'know, on a different website some guy actually suggested heating it with a torch! Yikes! I was born dumb, but I think I've improved since then.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived