Bleach %?

butch&fonda

Never really paid any attention to the percentage, couple ounces of bleach in a pint sprayer.

We didn't start out cleaning faucets, that changed after we watched a dog walking from spigot to spigot licking them to see if he could get a taste of water.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Never really paid any attention to the percentage, couple ounces of bleach in a pint sprayer.

I think you can get by with a teaspoon of bleach per quart of water, but I'd err on the side of a couple of ounces.

However, you have to clean the surface with soap & water before using bleach -- otherwise, you won't disinfect. Also, diluted bleach is only good for a day.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

However, you have to clean the surface with soap & water before using bleach -- otherwise, you won't disinfect. Also, diluted bleach is only good for a day.

Why bother diluting the bleach? Just spray full strength and the bottle will last a long time. A couple squirts into hose cleans that also.

Problem I have is the bleach rots the spring in most sprayers - anyone know of a sprayer that will hold up to long term exposure to full strength bleach?

Why bother diluting the bleach? Just spray full strength and the bottle will last a long time. A couple squirts into hose cleans that also.

Problem I have is the bleach rots the spring in most sprayers - anyone know of a sprayer that will hold up to long term exposure to full strength bleach?

That's why using diluted bleach is a good idea.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I am familiar with the corrosive nature of bleach, even to stainless steel. That's why I was looking for dilution rates. I was not aware of the short self life of the mixture though.

I've seen too many photos and videos as well as a few personal observations of what people do with spigots and sewer hoses, to not have some concerns about it.

Maybe alcohol would be a better solution.

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

Maybe alcohol would be a better solution.

Alcohol? Most definitely. I prefer Crown Royal but will settle for others.

Seriously, Clorox publishes dilution recommendations. From their professional web section: For resistant organisms and surfaces that are highly soiled, the CDC recommends a 1:10 dilution of 5.25% – 6.15% bleach (5250 ppm – 6150 ppm sodium hypochlorite solution). Source: https://www.cloroxprofessional.com/industry/health/knowledge-expertise/facts-about-bleach

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

What percentage bleach to water, do you folks use, to disinfect and sanitize the water spigots before hooking your hose to fill your tanks?

Thanks in advance,

Butch

All you ever wanted to know about disinfecting drinking water. To make is simple for me, I use 1 tsp bleach in 1 G water. Keep in mind there is a minimum 30 minute waiting time to insure complete disinfection. The higher the concentration the less wait time though.

That said, I do not bother disinfecting the water hydrant. IMO, needless over-sterilization is the cause of superbugs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just use vinegar or a solution of any of the 'oxy' cleaners. Or a Lysol wipe.

And we wonder why more 'superbugs' are proliferating?

IMO, needless over-sterilization is the cause of superbugs.

Superbugs (bacteria resistant to antibiotics) are created by overuse or misuse of antibiotics in humans & animals, not from disinfection or sterilization.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I have always used a small squeeze bottle with denatured alcohol in it as it doesn't degrade over time and works very well. I choose the squeeze bottles as those were what we used to carry solvents and such in our tool boxes when I was making service calls and they last well and don't have springs to fail.

31UK2UkSYlL._AA160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We keep a spray bottle of Lysol Brand II I.C. hospital grade disinfectant spray in the wet bay to spritz the water spigot before hooking up.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have always used a small squeeze bottle with denatured alcohol in it as it doesn't degrade over time and works very well. I choose the squeeze bottles as those were what we used to carry solvents and such in our tool boxes when I was making service calls and they last well and don't have springs to fail.

31UK2UkSYlL._AA160_.jpg

Kirk - Great idea. Can squirt bleach into tank, hose or onto spigot to disinfect and doesn't degrade with age, leakproof and small to store!

Lack of sanitizing is the number one reason for premature pump

failure and poor performance over time.
Lack of sanitizing will cause scale buildup on the diaphragm and valves, causing
low flow and leak back [occasional pump cycling with no faucets open or
tank filling up when hooked up to city water].

From the Shurflow 4048 RV By-pass pump installation and operation manual.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Good timing on this topic. Today saw person walking dog with very long leash. You guessed it, the dog lifted his leg on a water spigot. the owner just kept on walking like nothing was wrong. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

From the Shurflow 4048 RV By-pass pump installation and operation manual.

Sanitization has nothing to do with scale build up. Scale is formed from Calcium & Magnesium ions in water reacting with carbon dioxide dissolved in water. Bleach does not remove scale unless you are scrubbing very hard. Vinegar flush works to lower pH so Ca and Mg ions stay in solution and don't form scale.

I hate to tell you people, but animals (and not a few humans) piddle in fresh water reservoirs all of the time. That's why the water is treated and it leaves the water treatment plant with a residual chlorine level that is checked at the end of the line to make sure that any problems are taken care of along the way.

Washing the spigot with water from the tap will remove all surface matter and if it is a public water supply will have a chlorine content that ensures it is safe to drink. That's why you run the water first - to make sure you've moved water through the spigot and are ready to go.

I'm always amazed at how people will get riled up over something like this and then turn around and talk about all of the great tasting fresh fruit they've eaten out in the field or at a farmer's market right in the stalls.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks again, to one and all. For those of you that see no need in cleaning the spigot, that's fine by me, especially if your experience proves it to be unnecessary. I will not be the one to argue and try to convince you otherwise.

I now have enough information to proceed in the manner that I prefer.

Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

Barb,

Not all public water systems chlorinate their water - only when necessary. Here where I live the public water system is from an artesian spring and needs absolutely no treatment. Only when the water district has been doing some maintenance on their lines do they need to add chlorine. We have some of the BEST water in the world here. They bottle it and ship it all over the country. It is called Earth-2-0. I always tell people I see buying it that I use it for flushing my toilet! They do add a few minerals and (I think) electrolytes when they bottle it.

So bottom line is do not rely on the water company to always add chlorine.

I usually spray the spigot before connecting but I also think that the over sanitation of everything leads to a weakened immune system. I am sure many of us remember dropping down on our bellies and drinking out of a mountain creek or river when we were young. Was giardia in the water then - I suspect so but our immune systems were much better and fought it off. Same with many other "germs". The more we sanitize, the more sensitive we become when one of the "bugs" gets through.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Nine years fulltiming - Turn spigot on and run water out to make sure we have pressure. Hook up and use.

Barb

40 years of camping, never bothered, and to my knowledge none of the family ever got any kind a yuck from the water. Just hook and go. I think we get sort of anal about this kind of stuff. Relax and enjoy!

Only time we ever worried about it was when we spent a month in Mexico. Then we added bleach to the water tank and lived off that water instead of the spigot.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

If you feel better about doing it sure can't hurt. Anything can go wrong anywhere. Witness the recall on some BLUEBELL ice cream being recalled after some deaths from some product. I need look that up to get the details as I just heard it on the news last night and I may eat more than my share of BlueBell.

Archived