what to do when you do not have sewer

I am now and i think forever here in Asheville, North Carolina. I lived in Gatlinburg for 15 yrs..so i love the Blueridge and Smokies. Now here is my question and hope maybe someone can help. I have been lving in my motorhome for 7 months in Tucson AZ..glad that inferno is over. I I then lived in Ocala , Florida for 4 months...not for me. So here i am...in Asheville.

After staying in a Motorhome park here in Asheville with sewer, electricity, water..etc etc. for one year, i have had a friend who owns over 5 acres to come and stay in her property...someone after living there for 3 yrs has left. Here is my problem ..this would be my very first time staying in a space without sewer..just electric and water. What to do...i will be staying in a beautiful wooded creekside area..and all is nearby. I am surrounded by the Blueridge Mountains which i love to hike.

So what do i do to dispose of my black and grey water. Someone told me to call a ''honey wagon'' service...yes sounds so sweet..but why honey. I did see them here at the park. Pretty soon this campground will be a circus..and i have already been through all that..dogs running loose..no leash or pickup..it truly upsets me..i do not want to step on my dogs poop or anyone elses dog poop.

The coming and going of campers is not that mind boggling to me..after all it is a campground.

But i have not yet had to come up with disposing my grey and black...i have been pampered with everywhere i have stayed. But i am so tempted to take the offer i have little time to make a decision.

PLEASE..let me know what you guys do when you are without the hookup for sewer...i am a bit lost on the subject.

Thank you!

Mia

You will need to find a way to dispose of your waste in a manner that is acceptable to the land owners and the county regulations. Tying into the septic system on the property could be one way and the other is to have a service come and empty your sewer tank. If you are not too far from a location that offers the service for a fee you might just drive there when needed and pay to dump. It would be good exercise for your vehicle is you are planning on remaining in one place for a long time. There are issues with remaining in one place for an extended time using a "Holding tank". I stay for 6+ months in one area before moving and always use the ice technique to ensure I have as little build up as possible. I have also stayed in a water and electric only spot for the last 18 month except when I was traveling from one spot to the other. I did build my own Macerator device and it works very well for the other RV's on the property. I have too low an outlet for it to really work for me where I am currently parked. It will work in the future. I also purchased a large container that allows my neighbors to empty their smaller black tanks more often and when I call for the Honey Wagon that tank is emptied also. Again you will have to check with the property owner and the local codes for your actual responsibilities. Recently I saw a news report of a group of 30 RV's parked nearby that were not in a RV park. I didn't see the outcome of the investigation into how long they have been there or if any were forced to leave. Good luck with your situation.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You will need to find a way to dispose of your waste in a manner that is acceptable to the land owners and the county regulations. Tying into the septic system on the property could be one way and the other is to have a service come and empty your sewer tank. If you are not too far from a location that offers the service for a fee you might just drive there when needed and pay to dump. It would be good exercise for your vehicle is you are planning on remaining in one place for a long time. There are issues with remaining in one place for an extended time using a "Holding tank". I stay for 6+ months in one area before moving and always use the ice technique to ensure I have as little build up as possible. I have also stayed in a water and electric only spot for the last 18 month except when I was traveling from one spot to the other. I did build my own Macerator device and it works very well for the other RV's on the property. I have too low an outlet for it to really work for me where I am currently parked. It will work in the future. I also purchased a large container that allows my neighbors to empty their smaller black tanks more often and when I call for the Honey Wagon that tank is emptied also. Again you will have to check with the property owner and the local codes for your actual responsibilities. Recently I saw a news report of a group of 30 RV's parked nearby that were not in a RV park. I didn't see the outcome of the investigation into how long they have been there or if any were forced to leave. Good luck with your situation.

Rod

THANK YOU..Rod....may i ask what is the ''Ice Technique'' you use. I actually will be the only rv on my friends property..i want to do what is correct ..for the property and my friend..she does not have a clue what the girl she calls the ''hippie'' did for 3 yrs while she stayed on her place. I will try and see if i can get a ''honey wagon'' there.....as for local codes..that is something to inquire. My friend who has lived there since she was a child seems to be ok with what i decide..she knows i will do the correct thing for the beautiful place and her and of course moi.

The home was built on that property in the 1930's looks like a lodge made of local stones..the property is full of trees and a creek runs through it..peaceful..so i am so lucky to be able to do this....but..i like my bath and toilet..when i need it. I do not want to go to her door or intrude to use it..even though she has offer me the option...i want to be able to do the correct thing in my a situation.

As i said..do not know how to make it happen. First time without sewer..so spoiled!...i may have to say No..because i do not want to deal with the mess....THANK YOU!

Aside from building a septic system, I think your only option is to have it pumped.

We lived in a rural area in Oregon for a couple years where it was common place to have a gazillion trailers on your property. Those trailers never moved. The would make these 'make-shift' septic tanks out of 55 gallons drums. PLEASE don't do that! The city reinforcement was non-existent and the County was way under staffed so no one checked.

They make little septic systems for dog waste disposal where you use enzymes. Maybe a composting toilet.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

someone after living there for 3 yrs has left.

So someone lived there for 3 years. What did they do for sewage?

Is there a septic tank on site. If so, will they set up a sewer connection for you or make an opening for you to dump into. Maybe even get a "blue boy" to haul your black & gray water to the dump opening.

Since you are on private property, why not set up a long 5/8" or 3/4" garden hose for your gray water and let it drain a 100' or so from your RV. Just move your hose 10' or 20' each time you dump.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

You could install a composting toilet like this one (which is for RVs): http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Head-Composting-Toilet-Standard/dp/B003EX7LV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426116671&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+composting+toilet

Here is a good explanation of what it is: http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/composting-toilet

And how to install one:

They (The Wynns) say that it's great. Disposal is just take the liquid out and make a tree happy every 3 days and every 2 or 3 weeks throw the compost away and add more. I'm thinking seriously about doing this myself.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

So someone lived there for 3 years. What did they do for sewage?

Is there a septic tank on site. If so, will they set up a sewer connection for you or make an opening for you to dump into. Maybe even get a "blue boy" to haul your black & gray water to the dump opening.

Since you are on private property, why not set up a long 5/8" or 3/4" garden hose for your gray water and let it drain a 100' or so from your RV. Just move your hose 10' or 20' each time you dump.

AL...yes a young girl lived there in a small c class..my friend calls her ''the hippie'' ..i asked my friend what and how did she do about dumping her black and grey water..she told me.''.i truly do not know''.

The young girl worked at a bed and breakfast here..my friend thinks she bathe and did whatever while at the inn.....i can not imagine she used that as her only form of dumping for 3 yrs.

The property someone told me today is over 20 acres..so maybe my very busy friend truly was far from knowing what that young girl did. Your suggestion using a garden hose for gray..is super!..i think she is on septic...so i will see where it is...Thank you again!....Please tell me what is a ''blue boy''...you have given me wonderful ideas that may work, Thank you again!

Today i found a number for the ''honey wagon'' so i can ask if they would go and service in that area, and just for one rv.

Is her house phsically near wear you will park? If so is her house on a sewer sytem or a septic tank system?

bigjim...not right close..is it sewer or septic..i will find out...the electricity will be coming from her lodge..so is the water...so i need to be close..not right near but close to it....is there a reason you ask if it is a sewer or septic?

It's amazing that she let someone stay on her property for 3 years and never wondered where the sewage was dumped. You need to discuss this thoroughly with your friend. Also, I would advise that you not park in the same spot where the 3-year person stayed. Yuk!!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I agree that the first thing to do is to find out what the previous occupant of the site did about waste water. There are tanks available that can be used to haul the contents of those tanks to a dump station, but they aren't a good answer unless the dump station is nearby. Here is a link to some of them.

41GPeyxJm2L._AA160_.jpg41TMTdNeRWL._AA160_.jpg51vwSJ9VSZL._AA160_.jpg

As you can see, these are intended to be towed behind your vehicle at low speed for short distances. It is unlikely that you will find a pump-out service that would be inexpensive or practicle for your new location.

A possible answer if there is an access point to the owner's sewer or septic (it really doesn't matter which) is to use a macerator pump that can pump the contents of your tanks a longer distance to some access point. For this to work you will need to have some sort of access point into the local sewer disposal system, whatever they use.

41BkfjUg6sL._AA160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I was leading up to what has been suggested by accessing the existing sewer or septic tank if possible by using something like the macerator in Kirk's post. If you are not reasonbly close to one or the other it won't be conveinent. I would not really even want to release grey water too much in and in someplaces that is illegal. I hope you can make this work and think you are definatly going about it correctly. As far as the grey water it depends on how much and your surrounding. When I was a kid we used minmal water for dishes and bathing using basins and dishpans then carried the water out and dumped it in different locations. This was in east TX not far from Livingston and didn't create any issues especially in the dry season.

THANK YOU..Rod....may i ask what is the ''Ice Technique'' you use. I actually will be the only rv on my friends property..i want to do what is correct ..for the property and my friend..she does not have a clue what the girl she calls the ''hippie'' did for 3 yrs while she stayed on her place. I will try and see if i can get a ''honey wagon'' there.....as for local codes..that is something to inquire. My friend who has lived there since she was a child seems to be ok with what i decide..she knows i will do the correct thing for the beautiful place and her and of course moi.

The home was built on that property in the 1930's looks like a lodge made of local stones..the property is full of trees and a creek runs through it..peaceful..so i am so lucky to be able to do this....but..i like my bath and toilet..when i need it. I do not want to go to her door or intrude to use it..even though she has offer me the option...i want to be able to do the correct thing in my a situation.

As i said..do not know how to make it happen. First time without sewer..so spoiled!...i may have to say No..because i do not want to deal with the mess....THANK YOU!

When I move I make sure I do a good flush of the black tank and throw in 10 to 20 lbs of ice right before heading out on the first leg of the trip. That sloshes around and breaks up anything that remained in the tank after the flush. I again toss in at least 10 lbs a few miles before I arrive at my next dump location. Usually cannot do a flush there as it most often is at a Rest Area in Iowa and there isn't the ability to hook a hose up easily and sometimes there will be someone waiting to dump their tanks when I finish.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

...Please tell me what is a ''blue boy''...you have given me wonderful ideas that may work, Thank you again!

Today i found a number for the ''honey wagon'' so i can ask if they would go and service in that area, and just for one rv.

Here is a link to a "blue boy" at Amazon.com. It is a tank on wheels used to haul your black & gray water to a dump, so you don't have to move your RV to the dump. If you decide to get one, keep in mind if you go to the 35 gallon size, it gets pretty heavy. If you fill it to about 30 gallons it would weigh about 300 pounds. While it is on wheels, pulling 300 pounds may be difficult. If you keep the size down to about 18 gallons it would be much easier on you.

If you drain your gray water on the ground, you should only have to dump your black water about once a week.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I almost always use the shower and bathroom at RV parks and not the ones in my fiver. There are times that I must use the bathroom

in the fiver but I try to keep it to a minimum and therefore don't have to dump black tank often. My better half used to always use the shower in the

fiver and didn't like using bathrooms at RV parks until we traveled with two of our ten grandkids and when it was her shower time there was no hot water.

She went to the shower room at the RV park and found it so clean and no end of hot water, so now she also uses the bathroom and showers at the RV parks

all of the time. She like me keeps her flip flops on in the shower. Asheville is a very nice place and it is nice there in the summer, early fall and late spring but I wouldn't like to be there during the winter.

The friends that I have spend the summer there but they head to southern Florida in the winter. Good Luck

bigjim...not right close..is it sewer or septic..i will find out...the electricity will be coming from her lodge..so is the water...so i need to be close..not right near but close to it....is there a reason you ask if it is a sewer or septic?

"Not right close" doesn't give us a measurement of how close, or far, you might be. It will help you a lot if you pace it off, or pull a tape measure and let us know how far it really is. Is there already a water line and an electric line coming from her lodge, or are you going to have to set up a water hose and get extensions for your power cord?

The more info you give, the better the suggestions will be to help you.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Here in the Florida Keys there is a service that provides low profile 300 gallon tanks that sit on the ground. They come and pump them out at whatever frequency you desire. If you could discharge your grey water onto the ground, you could make a 300 gallon tank last a very long time for black water. I have no idea if this service is offered elsewhere in the US.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

"Not right close" doesn't give us a measurement of how close, or far, you might be. It will help you a lot if you pace it off, or pull a tape measure and let us know how far it really is. Is there already a water line and an electric line coming from her lodge, or are you going to have to set up a water hose and get extensions for your power cord?

The more info you give, the better the suggestions will be to

HERO,

THANK You for your response...the lodge is is about 100 ft or more from the where my motorhome will sit........Do you know what type of extension cable would be required for our 50 amp service ....no to water line..just a garden hose..as for the electric line...i would have to buy one long enough and strong enough coming from a 220 volt service in her home...Thank you again..MIA

I agree that the first thing to do is to find out what the previous occupant of the site did about waste water. There are tanks available that can be used to haul the contents of those tanks to a dump station, but they aren't a good answer unless the dump station is nearby. Here is a link to some of them.

41GPeyxJm2L._AA160_.jpg41TMTdNeRWL._AA160_.jpg51vwSJ9VSZL._AA160_.jpg

As you can see, these are intended to be towed behind your vehicle at low speed for short distances. It is unlikely that you will find a pump-out service that would be inexpensive or practicle for your new location.

A possible answer if there is an access point to the owner's sewer or septic (it really doesn't matter which) is to use a macerator pump that can pump the contents of your tanks a longer distance to some access point. For this to work you will need to have some sort of access point into the local sewer disposal system, whatever they use.

41BkfjUg6sL._AA160_.jpg

KIRK...I will have my motorhome about 120 feet from the lodge...i need to buy a electrical extension hookup connect for my 50 amp service to her home...and i also have to get a water house for 100 plus feet....DO you have any suggestions on what would be a wise choice in purchasing both..and is there a problem with her having a 220 volt connection..or plug in...also i think i have found someone to do the black water removal...i hope!

Your solution for the holding tanks is to use what Kirk posted, and that is the Macerator Pump and connect it with at least a 3/4 hose. It can sometimes be run up to a couple hundred feet (depending on uphill or downhill run), and will do a great job with dumping your holding tanks. It sounds like your friend is on a septic system and not a city sewer system and you should ask how large of a system she has. If she has ever had it pumped, or inspected, the size of tanks may be available. County records may also have that info if it was required when installed.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Is there already an RV receptacle for your RV plug? Where did the other person hookup her electricity?

For your water supply, just get a long enough hose to run from her system to yours (you can hook hoses together in order to reach) and my only suggestion for this would be to cover your hose run with a lot of leaves or a light covering of dirt so that you won't have hot water in your line when you are wanting cold water.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

HERO,

THANK You for your response...the lodge is is about 100 ft or more from the where my motorhome will sit........Do you know what type of extension cable would be required for our 50 amp service ....no to water line..just a garden hose..as for the electric line...i would have to buy one long enough and strong enough coming from a 220 volt service in her home...Thank you again..MIA

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=116771&hl=

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

Archived