Oil analysis

tyates007

Just did an oil analysis on the 99 Volvo d12 motor. For the first time since I have owned it there is glycol in the oil. There is no specified amount. Oil has probably 8000 miles on it and has not been changed since last spring. I have not had to add any coolant and am not building pressure in system like a head gasket. I'm thinking maybe an injector cup? Any ideas or what to look for would be appreciated.

Can an oil analysis be wrong? Not suggesting just wondering if it is 100% accurate . Would hate to spend lots of $ and then find no issue.

But on the other side ignore it and cost a rebuild. :wacko:

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

Are you losing coolant? Some of the oil additives on the market have high potassium levels which can throw an oil analysis. Before I got too worried, I'd send a second OS to another lab and compare results. A second test may warrant a cooling system pressure test.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Thx for the replies. Not losing coolant. Had a pressure test done and system did not leak down. Think a second is a good idea. This is the first one from this particular lab. Had both engine and transmission tested. Transmission tested positive for glycol as well, go figure. I'll get a second test.

For sure do another test. I've had false positives like that before. ESPECIALLY at Speedco. To the point I don't waste the $15 there anymore. Try again and see what you get. And thanks for reminding me to pull a sample.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It's fairly common for std 10 speeds to have a oil cooler, but many are fairly small surface Air / Oil unit coolers often mounted between the frame rails above the drive-line aft of the trans.

We had some marine coolant oil samples some years ago that were traced to oil spout that was used to top-off the oil but on fairly occasions used to top-off coolant as well. It seems that once coolant gets introduced into a spout or funnel that may also be used for oil it may look clean but coolant seems able to cling in trace amounts just enough to trigger a coolant alarm in a oil sample.

The bummer in our case was, that coolant once in our oil, was pretty hard to get out of the engine without a oil change......

The common "problem" related to your samples that we also had coolant in both of the marine gear-set on that tug so that helped point the finger to outside contamination.

Obviously a closed loop marine system is not what we deal with in trucks but outside contamination could be a common factor.

It appears that fairly small amounts of coolant likely trigger alarms in oil samples but the amount of coolant in the oil can vary due to many sample factors we were told.

The good news we did not have to torch-up a few tons of steel decking and then pull a big diesel out of a deep, dark hole in the bilges of the old tug......

Maybe something to consider.....

Best regards,

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived