Is membership in the "Dark Side" manadatory when using an HDT?

noteven

Am a little shy to admit I still more than max out some of my equipment, eg... that poor old F250 outside the back door is sitting there with

3,500# of coal on it. Many times my poor trucks need a tilt down nose like the old supersonic transport so you can see over the hood.

:blink: Look for me in a Wallmart parking lot near you.

The important thing is to know what is safe and what is not, and to protect the public from danger at all cost.

Am reminded of the words of an old song. "When your love hits the ground, it can't fall any farther"

overloaded-vehicles-1086.jpg

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like the ' Empire ' is getting ready to strike back. Now what episode was that ? " The Empire Strikes Back ". Was that the first movie ?

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Careful Dave, the folks from the pet forum will all rush over here to criticize us for animal abuse for that picture. :lol:

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yeah, that chip again...that is you "psychologist" talking again ? I guess we are supposed to take the abuse because some think it is comedy ? Isn't that what the bully always says to their victim ? And where is your line ?

I (and many others) do not find this funny. We come here to associate, share and to learn...if I want abuse, there are other forums for that..

An quite frankly, someone has to stand up and say something and I have no problems about doing that...

If you want to dump on what others have bought, please us another forum...

Because I am to lazy to find out in other ways, do you have an HDT or a MDT?

My LGT and my Volvo 610 never post on the MDT forum for many reasons, the first is I don't own one, nor want one.

If you have a MDT and read this forum, good for you, but don't expect us to change, we are who we are!!

I do read the MDT forum, and find many interesting topics there, as well as other forums here, but don't flame them for there opinion, why don't you do the same.

That being said,

Have a great evening, as I am..

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Why do you come here and try telling others that they should go somewhere else? I have an idea. If YOU don't like it here, rather than telling us to find another place, why don't you?

I made a good friend in Kansas last year when I told him that the whining turbo on his LGT (that is "Little Girlie Truck") woke me up and that if he needed help pulling his 5er, I had a real truck and would be happy to help. He knew how to take a joke and after spending a week parked next to each other we have become good friends.

You, on the other hand, have no idea of what you are talking about. Did you ever see the movie, Good Morning Vietnam? Remember the line toward the end? When Robin Williams tells the Sergeant Major, "You're in more dire need of a ........"?

Well, if the shoe fits....

Thank you Phil, I feel the same way!!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

It sounds like the ' Empire ' is getting ready to strike back. Now what episode was that ? " The Empire Strikes Back ". Was that the first movie ?

That would be the "second" movie which was actually Episode 5...and that's why I love the "Dark Side".

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Phoenix,

Maybe I might be a bit off of this thread, if so please forgive me but...............by chance.........do you happen to know what tire shop your undocumented aliens photo HDT owner is using.......... every time I get loaded like he is in that photo......... my tires do not look that good...........

Smiles..........

Cheerz,

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Wow! This thread has been highly entertaining! A great chuckle and read for wife and me on a Sunday morning in bed ! Wish I would have met you guys years ago!

Been looking for a Dark Side decal for Ringo but the only one I've seen says: Come to the Dark Side- we have cookies!!!!!

Bill

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

Wow! This thread has been highly entertaining! A great chuckle and read for wife and me on a Sunday morning in bed ! Wish I would have met you guys years ago!

Been looking for a Dark Side decal for Ringo but the only one I've seen says: Come to the Dark Side- we have cookies!!!!!

Bill

Piedmontexpress, an ability to entertain ones spouse on Sunday morning, "in bed", no doubt in furtherance of marital bliss, is worthy of notice and calls for congratulations. Judging by the number of your posts and your SKP number you were not around this forum in its "formative years". A number of literary "gems" were produced back then which cemented our banishment to this side of the Force by those who were on the opposite bank and those who were barely in the padawan stage. Here's one of the early ones (I don't believe you can buy a pickup for $60K anymore) and if you can withhold your laughter for 6 days, it should provide more "material" for your Sunday morning bliss.

By the way, there are more of these "gems" around.

Fundamentalist religion, virgins, puberty and F-350s

Those of us who have become the veteran pullers who "graduated" to HDTs are often stymied by the recalcitrant attitudes and refusal to listen to reason, examples, statistics, specs, etc. Suffer no longer I have a "rational explanation".

I am known among my friends to be both an "amateur psychologist" and a comedian. I felt that combining those two skills could be the "ticket", which brings us to items in the title of the thread.

Those who wish to pull big rigs with pickups view that as a "fundamental right" based on lack of forbidding laws, Detroit's encouragement and superior skills honed by years of practice.

My "take" on fundamentalist religion is that it is comprised of strong core beliefs, constantly reinforced. That's why it's so difficult to "reprogram" those who have fallen into its grasp or were kidnapped by any cult. The high priests of Detroit through the megaphones of TV, reinforce this hour on the hour with glorious pictures of pickups falling out airplanes and stopping 30,000 pound behemoths, or with trucks racing towards precipice and stopping with inches to spare. No wonder the "believers" are willing to straps their kids to the seats of the F-250s and F-350s and take them onto New Jersey turnpike or the New York Thruway.

Heck, I believe that should the sales drop because of safety concerns, Detroit would promise 40 virgins to those who might arrive at that Big Campground in the Sky in their F-350 or Toyota Tundra.

Since I mentioned virgins it dovetails into the subjects of innocence and puberty. Pulling with pickups is in my opinion the puberty of RVing. Having myself pulled with three pickups over a period of 20 years I can only explain it as a case of arrested development.

During those 20 years I could vociferously argue about my abilities with a pickup, my great "skills" with a pickup and many other "theories". Not unlike the "discussions" (if you guys can remember that far back) with your fellow virgins of how it would be to be with the member of the opposite sex before one had the chance. Not having "experience" with more "capable partners" robs one of the necessary frame of reference for factual comparison. And those of you who are on second or third go around in the marital arena can attest that a relationship can be quite disappointing if the partner reveals lack of skills or abilities which you were expecting but which were never there from the beginning.

Having graduated to MDTs and HDTs has elevated my "experience" to a whole new plateau. These vehicles were truly capable "partners" to my RVing enjoyment, capable of doing their part, not requiring special care, or elevated skills.

I had the misfortune of pulling with a very nicely appointed pickup (again) for a year until the HDT was ready. It felt every day like that "error in judgment" made by some of us picking up a "trophy wife". The looks might be there but not much beyond that. And the stress of that "relationship", forget it!

So to conclude my thesis as an "amateur psychologist" and using marital comparison with which most of us are familiar, the situation is as follows: Those who pull with pickups just emerged from RV puberty and are in their first marriage. They feel that they chose "wisely" but the doubts are emerging. The partner is lacking, is financially irresponsible (demanding computer chips, engines upgrades, transmission upgrades, brakes, etc.), but you still want to keep her because she's good looking. And here come these nasty HDT guys acting like marriage counselors and telling you that your only solution is a divorce. After you consider what the divorce is going to cost, you realize that you are "stuck" while they relentlessly showcase their partners and tell you about the “superiority” of their partners!

It is particularly galling when they do it in front of your wife who is barely on board that this is the “best there is” and still not over the fact that you spent $60K ON A PICKUP!

Dang Henry, now you are really gonna rile up that other guy :) He's gonna tell you where to go again.

But you do have a way with a story. I can't think of anyone else that could (or would) compare the progression from LGT to HDT to marriage :D Thanks for the chuckle.

2014 smart Fortwo

<<Piedmontexpress, an ability to entertain ones spouse on Sunday morning, "in bed", no doubt in furtherance of marital bliss, is worthy of notice and calls for congratulations.>>

And I remember when on Sunday, if I was lucky, we would go take a "nap." Now, that means I'm going to fall asleep. :o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

No disrespect to the HDT truck folks but there are some of us that happen to like a MDT for several reasons. In our case it is easier to get larger dogs in a 4 door MDT, It fits in my garage with 10-0 high doors (barely but it does fit if I fold the mirrors up), Is still small enough to drive around as a daily driver on the road (fits in the same size area for parking as my F350 Dually). Most importantly, the wife refused to get a bigger truck. I have been married to her for 32 years and would like to stay married to her in the future....

Having said that, I also like the air suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats, air brakes, 22.5 inch tires and that nice little 13 liter, 450 HP, 1650 ft-lbs of torque Detroit Diesel out front with a nice Jake brake. The wife likes her push button auto Alison 4000 transmissions and all is well in the world. That is all is well until time to fill up the 190 gallon tanks with fuel......That hurts at times....

So here I am, stuck between the light and the dark side, A misbegotten, unwanted, bastard step child searching for a home......I hope to find one in a couple of weeks in TN.

Who knows, maybe my little truck might need to drag the back end of one of those 40 foot long, stretched out monstrosities sideways to let you turn it around in something less than a 40 acre field......:)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

So here I am, stuck between the light and the dark side, A misbegotten, unwanted, bastard step child searching for a home......I hope to find one in a couple of weeks in TN.

David,

I guarantee you will feel like family after coming to the ECR. Heck we even allow Canadians :). Besides your M2-112 is realy an HDT in sheep's clothing.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

No disrespect to the HDT truck folks but there are some of us that happen to like a MDT for several reasons. In our case it is easier to get larger dogs in a 4 door MDT, It fits in my garage with 10-0 high doors (barely but it does fit if I fold the mirrors up), Is still small enough to drive around as a daily driver on the road (fits in the same size area for parking as my F350 Dually). Most importantly, the wife refused to get a bigger truck. I have been married to her for 32 years and would like to stay married to her in the future....

Having said that, I also like the air suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats, air brakes, 22.5 inch tires and that nice little 13 liter, 450 HP, 1650 ft-lbs of torque Detroit Diesel out front with a nice Jake brake. The wife likes her push button auto Alison 4000 transmissions and all is well in the world. That is all is well until time to fill up the 190 gallon tanks with fuel......That hurts at times....

Who knows, maybe my little truck might need to drag the back end of one of those 40 foot long, stretched out monstrosities sideways to let you turn it around in something less than a 40 acre field...... :)

The FORCE comes in all sizes and shapes.

2222209680096176628VuWJYm_ph.jpg

grinning%2520dog.jpg

An M2-112 is a VERY nice truck. From a "truck perspective" it is the same class 7 tractor as my 780 is singled out. Only real difference is that it has 4 doors instead of a sleeper.

A purpose built M2 like that has all the good characteristics of a line haul tractor. Well, all that I can think that are important to our application. You just get to decide if a sleeper is important to you or not.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

An M2-112 is a VERY nice truck. From a "truck perspective" it is the same class 7 tractor as my 780 is singled out. Only real difference is that it has 4 doors instead of a sleeper.

A purpose built M2 like that has all the good characteristics of a line haul tractor. Well, all that I can think that are important to our application. You just get to decide if a sleeper is important to you or not.

Jack,

The sleeper is one thing the wife was puzzled about. Why sleep back there when we are towing a perfectly good, sleep number bed to take a nap on... Never mind a chance to stretch our legs, exercise the dogs and let them do their business. With us usually taking our time, it doesn't make a difference if we have a few extra stops thrown in. The area where the back seat used to be is a dog playground where they have plenty of room to lay around or play.

I will admit is kind of fun to sneak up on a unsuspecting driver that thinks I have a little engine under the hood and give them a surprise....

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

The sleeper works great when you put the trailer in the shop overnight. It also works well for that "oh gee we got here too early to pull into a sleeping campground" or when she gets a headache and wants to lie down and you want to keep driving. It also works great for that quick 1 hr cat nap in a rest area.

I have used my sleeper for all of those reasons.. I had no issues getting my 80 lb lab/chow into my two door cab (petloader.com) and I have a dining table while you have a bench seat.

It sounds like we have the same HP, I just have bigger fuel tanks. Everyone has their own reasoning for wanting/getting what they have

2014 smart Fortwo

Hey all, stop and acknowledge the differences. Allison transmission and weight, it doesn't weight the same as a HDT. I have not seen a line haul truck with an Allison. Anyone else?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I would have prefered a truck like the M2, but a decent one was too much money to invest for occasional use (at least 3X what I have in the Volvo). Plus, in Ohio or Indiana, the two states I have to option of using as home base, require I convert to "motorhome" status for a truck over 29k#.

So, the sleeper was cheaper and easier. YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The sleeper works great when you put the trailer in the shop overnight. It also works well for that "oh gee we got here too early to pull into a sleeping campground" or when she gets a headache and wants to lie down and you want to keep driving. It also works great for that quick 1 hr cat nap in a rest area.

I have used my sleeper for all of those reasons.. I had no issues getting my 80 lb lab/chow into my two door cab (petloader.com) and I have a dining table while you have a bench seat.

It sounds like we have the same HP, I just have bigger fuel tanks. Everyone has their own reasoning for wanting/getting what they have

LOL..If she gets a headache, I don't want to be in the same state much less in the same cab. There are times when a sleeper would be nice but we pulled the rear seat out and the dogs have a HUGE area to roll around in. Like I said, I would have prefered a class 8 but getting divorced to have what I wanted was MUCH more expensive than buying the M2.so I came home with the size of the MDT and the running gear and air systems of a HDT. This one has all the DEF and DPF crap which is the reason for the low fuel capacity. One side has that HUGE combo exhaust unit that that takes up most of the passenger side. I have a DEF and 120 gallon left tank and the DPF unit and a 70 gallon tank on the other side.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

• 2 months later...

Archived