New Class A & wife wants a satellite TV on the road?

We just bought a new Class A Thor Hurricane 34E and the wife wants a satellite TV setup so the

grandkids can watch TV. Is this even possible and what kind of $$ am I looking at spending?

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

If you're thinking of a system that lets them watch TV while under way, you'll need a rooftop dish like Winegard's RT4000T RoadTrip Mission in-motion dome. You'll also need a satellite receiver for the satellite service provider you select, along with a subscription to a programming package. The costs for those vary of course, depending on which service and plan you select.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Its not only possible, its common place. the vast majority of motorhomes have some type of SAT TV system. most are wired so you can connect to either a cable feed provided at some campgrounds, or a SAT antenna. you have some choices to make:

in motion viewing or just stationary viewing

roof mounted antenna or tripod/ground antenna

dome antenna (SD only) or HD capable

DirecTV or Dish as provider

install & connect yourself or hire an installer

the overall cost will vary based on your selections. the one time cost for equipment & installation will be approx. $1000 - 1500, and the recurring monthly programing fee will be around the $50-100 range depending on which channel package and any premium chans

We just bought a new Class A Thor Hurricane 34E and the wife wants a satellite TV setup so the

grandkids can watch TV. Is this even possible and what kind of $$ am I looking at spending?

Jim

If you have to ask. You may not be able to afford it. :)

But the good news is. It will cost you less then the deprecation you had just driving off the dealer lot. :(

Congrats on the new MH. Enjoy it.

If you are Full Time get a Trav'ler on the roof with DirecTV.

If you are part time get a Trav'ler on the roof for Dish network.

Let the Grand kids watch DVD's going down the road in both cases. Or encourage them to watch the scenery going by outside.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If you do not have satellite TV at home where you can take the receiver from your house and put it in the RV when you're traveling, go with Dish since they have a pay-as-you-go service (DirecTV doesn't) so you only have to pay for the months that you are using the service.

I, too, agree with installation of the Trav'ler...just push a button and the dish finds all three satellites by itself. However, if you want the Grandkids to be able to watch TV while going down the road, then as previously mentioned, you'll need an in-motion dome. A dome has issues if you have more than one TV you want to watch at the same time or you have a DVR and you want to watch one program and record another (since a dome *sees* only one satellite at a time, not all three at once). But if the only reason you're getting satellite is for the Grandkids, a dome will probably suffice.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

WHy not let the kids play board games or watch prerecorded shows. With the in-motion, you will loose signal on bridges, tunnels and tree lined roads. You are looking at a lot of money to entertain the grand-kids on the rare occasion.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Hello Phil,

If you are interested in motion TV, I took down 2 weeks ago my TracStar SV360 in motion satellite dish from my Prevost bus, because I could not fit in to my garage. I have huge bus H3-45 Prevost and with the dish on top I was 13'9".
If you are interested I can send you more details,

Alek

Hopefully its not to watch TV while driving as your motorhome will not allow the TV to come on with the engine running....at least mine won't. I suppose you could plug the TV into another inverter supplied outlet with a cord but its not really a good idea...there is a reason for this feature called driver distractions.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Hopefully its not to watch TV while driving as your motorhome will not allow the TV to come on with the engine running....at least mine won't.

I think that's only if the TV can be seen by the driver...???

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

If you have to ask. You may not be able to afford it. :)

But the good news is. It will cost you less then the deprecation you had just driving off the dealer lot. :(

Congrats on the new MH. Enjoy it.

If you are Full Time get a Trav'ler on the roof with DirecTV.

If you are part time get a Trav'ler on the roof for Dish network.

Let the Grand kids watch DVD's going down the road in both cases. Or encourage them to watch the scenery going by outside.

First 2 sentences are very rude and uncalled for. Biker, you have no idea the OP financial status.

First 2 sentences are very rude and uncalled for. Biker, you have no idea the OP financial status.

Second sentences I posted were very true, no matter what the OP financial status is.

It is a true fact with any new or nearly new RV. There will be a lot of deprecation.

Saying is like, "If you have to ask a motorcycle rider why they ride. Then you wouldn't understand" :D

In the almost 13 years I have owned my present MH it has depreciated over 60K.

My new toad deprecated 12K when I drove it off the dealers lot. Or over 19K plus from the sticker price.

I'm sorry if you think I was rude and offended the OP. By using a saying that is used a lot.

But Phaeton10 You must of missed my smiley face at the end of the first sentence. Maybe you have icons turned off in your preference. :)

369070033.jpg

Second sentences I posted were very true, no matter what the OP financial status is.

It is a true fact with any new or nearly new RV. There will be a lot of deprecation.

Saying is like, "If you have to ask a motorcycle rider why they ride. Then you wouldn't understand" :D

In the almost 13 years I have owned my present MH it has depreciated over 60K.

My new toad deprecated 12K when I drove it off the dealers lot. Or over 19K plus from the sticker price.

I'm sorry if you think I was rude and offended the OP. By using a saying that is used a lot.

But Phaeton10 You must of missed my smiley face at the end of the first sentence. Maybe you have icons turned off in your preference. :)

No, I have my icons on, it's just that you have made a statement to some one who has just purchased a MH and you post negative comments to him/her without knowing them. Sure we all know as soon as you drive something off the lot you are loosing money. But let the OP enjoy his/her MH with out bringing in the negatives.

But let the OP enjoy his/her MH with out bringing in the negatives

Hummmm!

That was part of the 3rd sentence I posted. :rolleyes:

Get over it. And post something that will help the OP.

As there is no "Moderator" under your picture.

For you to be criticizing other poster that are trying to help the OP make a choice.

On how much more money to spend to make his other half Happy. :D

369070033.jpg

Thank you for all the feedback. And yes I know I'm taking a hit on the depreciation on a new rig, but the used

rigs price wise were more $$$ than we are paying for this new one. And the difference in pricing between CO

where we live and Texas where we bought was quite a lot of $$$.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

If you are near Reno,I just replaced my old Wineguard AS-2003 automatic dish with a Wineguard Travler dish that you can have and it's easy to install.It will work on DTV or DISH but it"s not HD

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

Archived