OT: Tools

SuiteSuccess

The value of a Snap-On box really shines when you have one mounted in your service truck. The beating a box takes while on the road is amazing and those conditions are a true test of their quality.

BTW...beautiful boxes.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I'm a former Snap On tool snob from back in the days before Matco and the Mac tool truck wasn't dependable, Snappy was dependable and would advance you tools on the friendly payment plan when my other options were cash at Sears or the auto parts store. Back in the early 70's when OI started paying the bills with wrenches I developed a $25 a week habit that stayed with me for many years almost to the point of addiction. I finally broke the habit by becoming a Snap on dealer for several years until the thrill of 16 hour days got old and I wen back to a regular job. Now depending on the job at hand sometimes even harbor freight is ok for one time or light duty use and their are lots of other options for tools that are not depended on to be everyday bread and butter money makers.

Today if I were to be in the market for a new toolbox it would probably be either a Stanley Vidmar or a Lista double wide cabinet with a pallet jack under it for mobility, custom drawer size and layout would naturally be part of the package.

I'm still partial to the way a Snap on tool feels in my hand but can't justify the cost for the majority of my tool needs/purchases these days, when it comes to chisels, punches, drift pins and prydrivers Craftsman still makes some pretty tuff iron. I prefer Milwaukee electric tools Fluke meters and IR air tools when it comes to other tools it's mostly what I perceive to be what my local suppliers have the best support for

I have had a yearning for one of these for several years. Even went to look at them twice while at the HDT Rally in Hutch. My first "Craftsman" didn't last too long with the ride in the side box of the truck. I bought a replacement Craftsman box at a Sears Clearance center in Denver a few years ago and it is holding up riding inside the truck, but it doesn't have the socket and wrench specific storage as the Montezuma. Anyone have one of these?l_1f654d64c407c7837ddccc5498816f5eLA400R

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Montezuma makes a great box for a service truck and can hold a surprising amount of tools in the space they take up. I have several buddies with mobile service trucks that swear by them. They are a little pricey but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

In a fixed shop setting, as shorts noted above, a Vidmar or Lista setup would be nice as well but for traditional tool storage, I would still prefer a Snap-on cabinet.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

If you guys really want to see tool setups to drool over, head over to the forums on The Garage Journal. There's also a forum just for tools made in the US, and one for deals on tools.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

If you guys really want to see tool setups to drool over, head over to the forums on The Garage Journal. There's also a forum just for tools made in the US, and one for deals on tools.

David, gotta say it again. You find the coolest sites!!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I should have posted a warning with that one--the first time I found it, years ago, I was on there for several hours. And that was just one thread, about one guy's garage in Utah!

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Carl, I have a set of Craftsman tools including 6 and 12 point sockets, ratchets, open end, and box end wrenches. They were given to me Christmas of 1959 by my parents. The only issue in 56 years has been with the ratchets. Their replacements are not equal to the originals. I have a set of newer (1996?) Craftsman tools that include a set of gold plated sockets representing the first issue to the last. I also own SK Wayne, Snap On, Kolbalt and Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight). I have yet to break a Pittsburgh socket or wrench - the ratchets are not too great. I have a set of Whitworth tools as well as much of what my Dad had in WWII when he was working on airplanes. As far as I am concerned the best tools are the ones you do not loan or let your kids take out to work on their bikes, go-carts and cars. Ironically, I cannot attest to the durability and quality of loaner tools as they never stay with me long enough to reach a conclusion..

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

You can also try he garage gazette

You can also try the Garage Gazette at http://www.thegaragegazette.com/ for some other "old school" guys. I used to be active a lot on both sites until things starting getting stupid from so many new people getting on and "selective" moderation that was starting to get way to obvious.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived