Big decision. Going to the Dark Side

whatsnext

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spec'ed my truck at 236" WB to make room for the new wider Smart Cars coming out. This was a suggestion from Gregg and Jack.

I thought about the 230" WB and felt it would be enough but we also plan on having a genset on the truck built in to the bed (by Herrin). It will be tight but should fit as my fuel tanks are spec'd to be no further back than the fairings.

For my 780, the factory would not install sink & the bunk heater. We are going to see if we need it and hope to use a small space heater when needed.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I spec'ed my truck at 236" WB to make room for the new wider Smart Cars coming out. This was a suggestion from Gregg and Jack.

Rick-

I am wondering if 230" WB is fine. Many others are at 230" and have enough room.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I have added the current build sheet to my first post.

When I click on the link provided I get a generic Google Drive page, not your shared build sheet.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Rick-

I am wondering if 230" WB is fine. Many others are at 230" and have enough room.

I don't know if you can future proof everything but Gregg said it would be better for the phoenix hydraulic bed and the dual position mounts for the chocks which is designed for the wider Smart Car. We are happy with our car but you never know when a new one will end up on the deck. ;) Also, I think Gregg is building his mid WB trucks to 236" to account for the wider SC's. I don't get why they won't put in the heater and sink.

Send them this picture and ask them why since they have done it before. I don't think you have talked to the right person yet. :)

IMG_0920.JPG

I thought about the 230" WB and felt it would be enough but we also plan on having a genset on the truck built in to the bed (by Herrin). It will be tight but should fit as my fuel tanks are spec'd to be no further back than the fairings.

For my 780, the factory would not install sink & the bunk heater. We are going to see if we need it and hope to use a small space heater when needed.

I installed a 7kw generator forward of the 100 gallon fuel tank passengers side. 229 wb.

There is plenty of room for a ramp loading smart bed at 230" - it just depends on how much overhang you want. I'd add a foot overall to mine, but still use a 230" wb. Just more overhang. In Rick's case with the loader it really needs the 236" for best location of components.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack....if you move the hitch back a foot that would give the clearance required for the new SC. The spec that David has will work but he will have to consider the frame length. To get the same clearance as I have 236" WB with 80" overhang he will have to spec 230" with 86" overhang.

When I click on the link provided I get a generic Google Drive page, not your shared build sheet.

Hmmmm. It worked last night....I'll take a look at it and try again.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

So how are you guys all billed on your RV beds? Are they by job? T&M? Is design billed hourly? I assume Volvo does something similar, but a custom frame layout is one of KW's more popular options nowadays. Your bodybuilder/final stage mfgr gets a 3D dxf when your truck is configured. Then you get three days to put everything exactly where you want it. The idea is that they can put their 3D model together with a 3D of your truck and nobody gets any surprises. It does add a couple hours of design time, but seems to almost always pays for itself in a T&M situation as just moving a simple DEF hose in the way isn't cheap, half the time cuts into your brand new coolant, and is usually pretty restrictive in where it can go. It ought to help with the wheelbase decision too. I know I've messed up wheelbase 3 times now and it friggen sucks. One was so bad I had to sell it and build another.... :( Anyways, it helps to guard yourself against those nasty price change orders since everybody compared their stuff at the beginning. Also available is custom frame drilling where you can get your bed mounts, hitch mounts, generator box mounts, etc already punched in your rail. When combined with a custom frame dxf, well, you can't miss. It usually pays for itself in labor savings (if T&M), and added bonus is the corrosion protection from primed, e-coated, and final painted holes. Anyways, those options plus the body builder options we discussed in Rick's order thread would be worth looking into. Specing a truck is a lot of work!

Did they indicate whether the trailer portion of the TPMS will work with a non-PLC trailer? I think the rear axle antenna will still pick up trailer tires in that case but I'm not sure. I've been meaning to play with that.

Scrap....The only thing Gregg asked me to do was spec a 236" WB for the hydraulic bed, a 80" overhang on the frame. ($600.00 charge) The fuel tanks as far forward as we could get them for storage boxes and hydraulic loader. Had to spec 13,200 front axle because of tank placement and WB. I talked to Bendix engineers and asked them if we could put the senders in the trailer tires but they said it wouldn't work. So, I have the TST 507 for the trailer and the Bendix for the truck. The dealer made some major mistakes that had to be fixed and some that I have to live with. I was very close to re-ordering the truck. He also didn't get the price he quoted me up front for the truck.

Another recent Dark Side Spec improvement -

I have been working this past week on another build-spec for a prospective customer. We have completed some arm-wrestling with the Volvo engineers, and we just got permission to install the Meritor RS23-160 23,000 lb capacity rear axle in conjunction with super-singles! Prior to Feb 15th, they would refuse to go with anything other than duals, as the weight capacity of the tires wouldn't handle what the axle could.

Gregg and Kerry Shields

www.RVHaulers.ca

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

'Pull Your Trailer, Don't Let your Trailer Pull You!'

Very good, Gregg!!

That is a "cool" look. Would not want to drive it in snow, though.....Of course, I DO NOT drive in snow....except when visiting you in winter.....or leaving your place in winter.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Volvo had approved super singles for me as well but I had decided for safety that it was not a good choice for singles. Michelin does not recommend it due to "rapid loss of pressure" scenarios. They do look sooooo cool!

Also have to be concerned with load carrying capacity of the super singles.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

I really like the looks of the SS but to many factors to stay with the duals. Even on the road if you needed a replacement the standard 22.5" size can be found everywhere. The fact that we get into mud/snow/gravel/wet grass/hills RV'ing the more aggressive 22.5 tire pattern and air locker was a must have. I wonder how those SS's are on wet pavement with relatively light loads?

I wonder how those SS's are on wet pavement with relatively light loads?

I have yet to talk to a driver that says "They are ok". Every driver I have talked to either loves them and says that are fine on wet roads or they hate them and say that they suck. Maybe someday I will find an impartial opinion.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil........I'll bet that the guys you are talking to were SS's on tandems? With 500/1850 going to a single axle with SS's I think it would even be more interesting. :)

That is what I was thinking, Rick....Traction Control or not.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

I also cannot open the file......the share permissions are not set right, I would guess.

www.jackdanmayer.com

email me if you have trouble and I'll help you out....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived