kenworth t2000 hood adjustment

rhb

Hi All, I own a 2005 t2000 and my hood is out of adjustment. The hood doesn't come up to the firewall (2" short). I've removed the lower chin fiberglass to gain access to the adjusting bolts. I've loosened the mount bolts and tried to push the hood back to close the distance to firewall to no avail. It appears to be too short. I've looked on line and found the hoods come in several lengths from 57 to 62 inches long. The truck has been repainted white but the original color was maroon including the hood. I'm thinking it is the original hood but have no proof. Any ideas as to how to move hood to the rear? Thanks Ron

Loosen the bolts on the cab air bags a little, get going about 30 mph and slam on the brakes. Jump out and check the gap. Just like the shampoo bottle says "rinse and repeat as necessary". :D

:) Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Jump out and check the gap.

Clearly, you haven't read the 2014 Darwin Awards:

Nominee No. 2: [Kalamazoo Gazette]:

James Burns, 34, (a mechanic) of Alamo, MI, was killed in March as he was trying to repair what police describe as a "farm-type truck." Burns got a friend to drive the truck on a highway while Burns hung underneath so that he could ascertain the source of a troubling noise. Burns' clothes caught on something, however, and the other man found Burns "wrapped in the drive shaft."

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I have a 2006 t600 so I'm not sure if the hood adjustments are the same but here is what I did to adjust. I loosened the hinge bolts and the guide post on the firewall. I manipulated the hood until I got it where I wanted then re tightened the hinge bolts. After the hinge bolts were tightened I adjusted the guide post and re tightened them. It sounds like you may be getting hung up on the rear guide posts. Try loosening those and reattempt. This may not be the cause but I just thought it is an Avenue to look into. Hope this helps.

It needs to be hung halfway open so the torsion bar is centered. It probably needs to have the cylinders unhooked too. The pricks will need adjusting as above as well. But be careful- it is a good way to die or cause some expensive carnage. Or both. She's heavy.

Scrap, what are the "pricks" ?

It needs to be hung halfway open so the torsion bar is centered. It probably needs to have the cylinders unhooked too. The pricks will need adjusting as above as well. But be careful- it is a good way to die or cause some expensive carnage. Or both. She's heavy.

I would assume that he's referring to the two guides on the rear corners of the hood. They do look as if they could match his description.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Scrap, what are the "pricks" ?

I would assume that he's referring to the two guides on the rear corners of the hood. They do look as if they could match his description.

Phil, thanks for the clarification. I was afraid Scrap was talking about.........well, nevermind :lol::lol:

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I sort of have the same issue with my 385 and was told it's common to have the rubber bushing on the hood pivots to deteriorate over time and cause this issue. Mine seems to come and go. I'll pay more attention and see if the gap remains the same as the cab bags air up.

Archived