Water treatment

kerry

I don't have one, but here is a YouTube video of Jack Mayer describing the water system (including a whole house R/O unit) he had installed in his New Horizons 5th wheel. Maybe he will come along and talk about his experience with it now that he has been using it for a while.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We use a water softener, the RV Pro 10000. I like it as it is compact and fairly light even when full of water. It uses just 2# of regular table salt for charging so there is no need for hauling around the big bags of salt.

Edit: For filtration we just use a regular whole house type carbon filter for taste and sediment ahead of the softener.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Friends had a R/O system in their dpmh. It worked well and they liked it, but they did quite a bit of dry camping and didn't use it then because it required too much water. I suspect water softeners have a similar problem when dry camping. R/O and softener both take up more space than basic multistage filters, but than may not be a problem if you have the space to spare.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

R/O requires a lot of water to function properly. A softener would be much better if you plan to boondock much. We use an On-the-Go softener. There are a couple of brands that are functionally identical and I don't think one brand is any better than the other.

We typically recharge the unit about every two weeks. Since the softener sits at the water source all water is softened including filling the tank. When boondocking you still have soft water without wasting any.

Softening the incoming water also has the advantage of less calcium build up in your water lines.

we The only problem we have with water is the taste in different parts of the country. We just use a sedimate filter and a 1 micron carbon filter.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I do not use the RO system when boondocking. I bypass it. I do use the softener when bypassing the RO, to fill the tank up. RO is great, but not practical if hauling water for boondocking.

It does "waste" a considerable amount of water. But to me it is worth it. We average 20-25 gallons a day of water consumption, so I doubt that we are significantly damaging the environment, in comparison to ANY house. That includes washing clothes and our dishwasher.

HERE is a document that describes my system.

HERE is the video of the system. (for completeness - same one linked above).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Our coach came equipped with the Nature-Pure water purifyiing system:

http://generalecology.com/category/marine-rv/product/naturepure_qc_purifier_with_faucet

We've been extremely satisfied with the system which also filters water to ice-maker.

Good luck with your choice & travel safe.... :)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

We use a sediment/activated charcoal water filter and RVPro water softener by Watts. The water softener has little impact on Boodocking. It is used when filling the water storage tank in the MH and when hooked up to a water system.

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Archived