TST 507 or TST 510 Tire system

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions on the two different system. I have done a search and have not found the answer that I was looking for. My questions are mainly for the folks that have one of the two different systems. What model number would you use between the 507 or 510 ? If you could do it over which system would you go with ? The only thing that I can see that is different between the two systems are the replacement of batteries. It looks like the 507 system that the batteries should be replaced every 12 to 18 months of use vs the 510 system could be every 5 years. Also the 507 starter kit comes with 4 sensor vs the 510 starter kit that comes with 2 sensors. Is there anything that I am missing ? Does one system have an advantage over the other system ?

Thank you for all help with these questions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have the 507 system and would buy it again. Just did first battery change in 2 years and it ran about 22.00 for 10 sensors.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Personally, I use the 507 with the pass-through user replaceable batteries. Great RV Products is actually offering an extended year warranty (3 vs 2) through February if you are looking to buy either model. Either can be purchased with any number of sensors, or they can be purchased separately in pairs. There is no real cost break though. $50 per sensor separately or as part of a package.

Be aware.. factory serviced batteries will run you around $20 a pop. Granted.. it's only once every 5 years or so, but $20 buys a lot of user replaceables.

I had a 10-sensor 510 system, and it worked perfectly for me for about 6 years until the sensor batteries started to fail. When I inquired at TST about refurbishing the sensors, Dan Covington offered me the proverbial "deal I couldn't refuse..." to replace the 510 with a 507 user replaceable battery system. Now having used the 507 system for over a year, I can say that I'm not at all sorry about making the change. The 507 has performed flawlessly, and I'm just starting to get the first few low battery indications. Changing the batteries is a simple low cost process, and the batteries are readily available in many stores. I bought a 10-pack from Amazon for $7.40 including shipping.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I definitely agree that the 507 system is the way to go. The system will tell you when a battery is in need of replacing and knowig exactly which one makes the replacement simple. I take my sensors off of my trailer when parked since air pressure turns them on and put them back on the day before I plan to travel. That way if a battery is going to need replacing I will know it before hitting the road.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Hi Everyone,

I would like to say "Thank You" to the folks that answered my question. I was hoping some of the folks from the HDT section would put in some of their opinions.

The link to Great RV Products was a big help. Thank you Yarome.

Hoping to see some HDTers opinions,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have the "older" 510 version and just replaced all 10 of the sensors after 7+ years of use. I also was given the opportunity to upgrade to the newer 507 version but declined. I am at about 65' with my rig and the system works as advertised without using a repeater. I did some research before deciding to stay with my older system and and it seemed that the newer wheel sensors have a weaker signal to the monitor vrs the older style of sensor. Most folks with larger rigs needed to add a repeater to "see" the trailer sensors. I also liked the older style monitor and the placement of the operating buttons. User replaceable batteries and the "flow thru" option on the wheel sensors sure are nice on the 507 system. Either system works and TST has very good customer service which I really am happy with. As already mentioned by keeping the older system my "battery" costs for the wheel senors is more but I do get "new" sensors with the new batteries.

Just my observations.......

Scott

After 5 years, we to are still users of the 510 TST system. We had 6 on the truck & 6 on our 5th wheel. I stayed with this model because I like the monitor and definitely liked that I don't have to mess with changing batteries every year. We are 54' long, truck & 5th wheel, and with our 96 Dodge we never needed a repeater. When we bought our 2014 Ram, we did have to add the repeater because of all the new fangled electronics in the dash. It was causing intermittent dropping of sensors. Some people have not had this happen.

There is nothing wrong with the 507 system { I did use it for a year just to familiarize myself with it} but I just happen to prefer the 510 monitor. As stated above both systems work so it just comes down to a personal choice. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I have the "older" 510 version and just replaced all 10 of the sensors after 7+ years of use. I also was given the opportunity to upgrade to the newer 507 version but declined. I am at about 65' with my rig and the system works as advertised without using a repeater. I did some research before deciding to stay with my older system and and it seemed that the newer wheel sensors have a weaker signal to the monitor vrs the older style of sensor. Most folks with larger rigs needed to add a repeater to "see" the trailer sensors. I also liked the older style monitor and the placement of the operating buttons. User replaceable batteries and the "flow thru" option on the wheel sensors sure are nice on the 507 system. Either system works and TST has very good customer service which I really am happy with. As already mentioned by keeping the older system my "battery" costs for the wheel senors is more but I do get "new" sensors with the new batteries.

Just my observations.......

Scott

X2 except use 14 sensors and have not as yet needed to replace. :(

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

As a new user of tire pressure monitors, we bought the TST 510 from Dutch and Di recently. I figured for several years I won't have to chase batteries around.

I mounted the remote antenna in the top drivers side corner of the windshield and haven't experienced any dropouts. Max distance would be 45' or so.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I had a 10-sensor 510 system, and it worked perfectly for me for about 6 years until the sensor batteries started to fail. When I inquired at TST about refurbishing the sensors, Dan Covington offered me the proverbial "deal I couldn't refuse..." to replace the 510 with a 507 user replaceable battery system. Now having used the 507 system for over a year, I can say that I'm not at all sorry about making the change. The 507 has performed flawlessly, and I'm just starting to get the first few low battery indications. Changing the batteries is a simple low cost process, and the batteries are readily available in many stores. I bought a 10-pack from Amazon for $7.40 including shipping.

We also changed from a 510 to a 507 and I'm generally pleased with it, but I'm not fond of the flow-through sensors. Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong the airflow through the sensors is so anemic that it's easier to air up by removing them. I did need a repeater with the 507 but I wired it off the circuit that powers the ceiling-mounted CO sensor in the bedroom. The remote antenna is small enough that it easily slipped into the space between the roof and the detector.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We also changed from a 510 to a 507 and I'm generally pleased with it, but I'm not fond of the flow-through sensors. Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong the airflow through the sensors is so anemic that it's easier to air up by removing them. I did need a repeater with the 507 but I wired it off the circuit that powers the ceiling-mounted CO sensor in the bedroom. The remote antenna is small enough that it easily slipped into the space between the roof and the detector.

I opted for the standard non-flow-through sensors because the flow-throughs would stick out too far. Your experience makes me glad I did. I haven't needed a repeater with our 34' coach, but I have noticed the 507 monitor doesn't pick up the detached toad quite as far away as 510 system did.

Dutch

Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong the airflow through the sensors is so anemic that it's easier to air up by removing them.

It's not just you Docj. The flow through's ARE a little anemic, but for my 65 and 50 psi tires it's not all that bad when I crank my compressor psi reg up. I gots nuttin better ta do. :P I would hate to have to break out the little baby allen wrench out every time I wanted to top off a tire. I'm content with the flow-through and user changeable batteries. That was my biggest hang up with the 510. I hated the time it took to mail in the old sensor then try and stick around in one place long enough to get the new one in.

It's not just you Docj. The flow through's ARE a little anemic, but for my 65 and 50 psi tires it's not all that bad when I crank my compressor psi reg up. I gots nuttin better ta do. :P I would hate to have to break out the little baby allen wrench out every time I wanted to top off a tire. I'm content with the flow-through and user changeable batteries. That was my biggest hang up with the 510. I hated the time it took to mail in the old sensor then try and stick around in one place long enough to get the new one in.

The standard 507 sensors screw on and off using the same tool as the 510 sensors. If you're not too concerned with theft, you can even remove the free turning security shell, and screw them on and off just like ordinary valve stem caps.

Dutch

The standard 507 sensors screw on and off using the same tool as the 510 sensors. If you're not too concerned with theft, you can even remove the free turning security shell, and screw them on and off just like ordinary valve stem caps.

The sensors I have... the threads and collar with "security" screws on either side appear to be one solid piece. It doesn't have a turning security shell like the sensors I had with my 510. I could leave the screws off, but don't really want $400 worth of sensors growing legs. :P I'm okay with the slower fill though...

The screw collars are unique to the flow-through sensors. The standard non-flow-through 507 sensors are similar to the 510 sensors, and use the same "crow foot" tool for installation and removal.

Dutch

Archived