WFR "Safe Surf" - what is it?

My new Phantom software has the capability to run Safe Surf. In fact, I am running it now, and see no difference in Internet performance. That is a good start; but what is it exactly? The only explanation I see on the WFR web site says the following:

"Safe Surf encrypts all data through secure servers to eliminate dangers from man-in-middle attacks at public networks".

Does that mean everything I do gets encrypted through my Go2, gets sent on to WiFi Ranger servers, where it is decrypted before being sent on to the final address? How, exactly, does that improve my security? Do they employ filters of where the signal goes?

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

My new Phantom software has the capability to run Safe Surf. In fact, I am running it now, and see no difference in Internet performance. That is a good start; but what is it exactly? The only explanation I see on the WFR web site says the following:

"Safe Surf encrypts all data through secure servers to eliminate dangers from man-in-middle attacks at public networks".

Does that mean everything I do gets encrypted through my Go2, gets sent on to WiFi Ranger servers, where it is decrypted before being sent on to the final address? How, exactly, does that improve my security? Do they employ filters of where the signal goes?

== John

SafeSurf creates an encrypted tunnel from the in field WiFiRanger, to the WFR cloud servers, and then exits onto the Internet there, and does this regardless of the Internet connection type. The advantage is a couple things. First, a lot of connections at RV Parks, and WiFi hot spots are not "Encrypted" meaning they do not use WPA2 or even flawed WEP security, for the wireless signal, but an OPEN signal. While the WFR in non Safe Surf mode still adds a layer of protection, once the data enters the wifi signal, or park router, a clever network engineer could grab packets of data and unravel them. The Safe Surf option, insures that even if there was some clever engineer, "in the middle" of the network connection, they would not be able to discern the data, because it is encrypted all the way to the WFR cloud servers. This is regardless of type of data as well, meaning even mail, chat, or any other type is encrypted. Second, Safe Surf makes your WFR appear to be located at WFRs primary cloud location in Meridian Idaho. This has some interesting options for using some services that want to know where you are, and cloaks that location. Finally, Safe Surf encrypts all traffic to/from the WFR, not just browsers. Even if you are doing banking with a secure https:/ session, your mail, chat, and other applications may be moving data in an insecure mode if the signal is OPEN. SafeSurf solves this.

Also, much to the common thought, any browser that enters the https:// mode, and shows a Lock, is secure for that browser session, regardless of the type of internet connection. I've been amazed at how many people erroneously think that somehow the MiFi or phone hotspot connection is more secure for banking. This is not true if the bank uses a https:/ connection. (all do) Once that browser is in that mode, you are encrypted from browser to the bank, or online site (amazon) or where ever while the session is active.

You can think of Safe Surf as creating an https:// connection for every type of data, on every system behind the WFR, while it is engaged.

2008 DynaMax Ultra Sport 45 (WFRMax)
450HP Mercedes, Allison 6 Auto, Cat GenSet
WiFiRanger GoG (775205), WFRMobile, WFRXtreme

Wow, great explanation. Thanks Lone Ranger even though I wasn't the OP.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived