Wills and Advanced Directives for fulltimers?

Velos

When we went full time in 2001 our first stop was Livingston, Texas for Driver Licenses, Wills and Advance Directives.

We had Carol Ann Richards(936) 327-5764102 Rainbow Dr Pmb 44Livingston, TX in the Escapee Park prepare the documents for us.

Fast forward 14 years we have had several changes that require we update the documents and in trying to contact the above phone number there is no answer. We had hoped to be able to update with her thru the mail instead of making special trip to Livingston. We did contact an attorney in Arizona where we are wintering to see if it could be done while we were here and he recommended we stick with our domicile state of Texas.

Has anyone else updated their wills etc since they went full time? Did you go to the original attorney or start over?

Does anyone know who may have taken over Carol Ann Richards clients?

In searching the forum I found recommendations for the following attorney's:

R. Malcolm Jones
415 N. Washington Ave.
Livingston, TX 77351
Polk County
Contact R. Malcolm Jones
(936) 327-2465

Shawn Loring, CEO at Generations Financial Services

McClendon and Loring, Attorneys at Law, PLLC,

146 Rainbow Dr # 4650
Livingston, TX 77399

And Googling "Livingston Attorneys" I found this list:

http://local.survivalinsight.com/Legal_Services_Livingston_TX-p1560004-Livingston_TX.html

We have had our wills and associated documents redone several times, a couple because we moved states and the laws were different enough that our previous will had areas that were iffy. The new lawyer was happy to use the old will as a template for the new wording and we got a pretty good deal since it saved them a good bit of time.

We also had an amendment (new version) done when circumstances changed and we had to rethink what we were hoping to do. After 15 years things changed again and we felt removing portions of the amendment document would be safe and would prevent some emotional pain when they were executed. It turned out we couldn't remove the wording with another amendment, the original and first amendment had to remain intact. The only solution was a new set of paperwork completely replacing the original, that also required re-titling everything with the new trust name.

We used the same lawyer to do the amendment but different lawyers for all the other work.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Shawn Loring, CEO at Generations Financial Services

McClendon and Loring, Attorneys at Law, PLLC,

146 Rainbow Dr # 4650
Livingston, TX 77399

If it were me, I would start by contacting Shawn as he is very involved with Escapees and I believe is also related to Carol Anne. I'm not sure if he does wills but he writes for the Escapee magazine regularly and has posted an email address there for advice. If you check the recent issues of the magazine. sloring@generationsfinancialservices.com

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If it were me, I would start by contacting Shawn as he is very involved with Escapees and I believe is also related to Carol Anne. I'm not sure if he does wills but he writes for the Escapee magazine regularly and has posted an email address there for advice. If you check the recent issues of the magazine. sloring@generationsfinancialservices.com

Thanks Kirk! much appreciated.

We had Malcolm Jones update our wills etc that had originally been written in a different state.

He was thorough and reasonable and I would recommend him.

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

We have had our wills and associated documents redone several times, a couple because we moved states and the laws were different enough that our previous will had areas that were iffy. The new lawyer was happy to use the old will as a template for the new wording and we got a pretty good deal since it saved them a good bit of time.

We also had an amendment (new version) done when circumstances changed and we had to rethink what we were hoping to do. After 15 years things changed again and we felt removing portions of the amendment document would be safe and would prevent some emotional pain when they were executed. It turned out we couldn't remove the wording with another amendment, the original and first amendment had to remain intact. The only solution was a new set of paperwork completely replacing the original, that also required re-titling everything with the new trust name.

We used the same lawyer to do the amendment but different lawyers for all the other work.

Thanks for the suggestion Stan. Using our original as a template will save all a lot of work.

• 1 month later...

Your will shold be written and signed in the State you are a legal resident of. Since I didn't need much I used the Dave Ramsey recommended do it yourself package. It was pretty easy... except for getting it signed, witness and notarized. I was fortunate to have it done on base at MacDill in Tampa, but they made it clear they would not stand behind the will, just that they witnessed my signature. In Florida, lawyers want to do the signing in conference with the beneficiaries present (has to do with know you are actually of sound mind). the exception to this is if your lawyer is a close personal friend and can attest to your being of sound mind.I went to the city and county clerks and called several notaries in Collier and Lee counties but none would do wills (for the reasons I mentioned above). So depending on your State, do your research before you purchase a do it yourself will--it could be more hassle than it is worth.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Archived