Advice on RV Router and AT&T Shockwave modem

jaamsk

I am looking for some general input as well as offering some warnings to others in my situation.

I am currently using a Cradlepoint 1000 cellular router with an AT&T Shockwave modem. That router is no longer being supported by Cradlepoint with security firmware upgrades. It also lacks any bandwidth management which I would like to keep tabs on my 5gb data cap.

In looking around I determined that as far as another Cradlepoint router, that is still supported by firmware upgrades and not prohibitively expensive I'm looking at the mbr1200? But I've been reading lots about poor Cradlepoint support and charging for firmware after just a year. I also saw good things written about both the Pepwave Surf Soho and the Wifi Ranger. As I am not looking at utilizing wifi much I opted for the Surf Soho. Ordered it up after confirming my AT&T Shockwave modem was on the support list. Got it and long story short never got the router to recognize my modem. So no internet connection.. I worked with tech support at the 3g store for over a week doing numerous configuration tweaks but no go. I was asked to download and try loading some "older" firmware but this particular router would not validate any firmware file. It also stopped opening a web admin page and became completely unusable. So it got returned as defective. I reordered from a different vendor (for a variety of reasons I'll not go into) believing that I had received a bad unit. But my second unit was not much better. It came with firmware several versions back, and did load my modem showing my modem could work with Pepwave product. But when I uploaded newer firmware, same problem. Modem was detected, went through a long connecting process and then failed to connect. I could load the older firmware and everything worked, but I wanted to use the new firmware as it offered some security fixes and feature enhancements. I was purchasing a new router to keep it up to date. So the second Surf Soho unit is about to be returned too.

In both cases I received good technical support, including remote involvement by Peplink. But in the end nothing was solved. I even provided the details of my Sierra Wireless (Shockwave) USB 308 modem including firmware version, thinking someone at Peplink must be able to check their own test modem that would be used to confirm their product actually works with the models they list as being supported. But I got nothing back to indicate they had done this. So I have no idea why my modem which works with their older firmware and with my Cradlepoint router doesn't work with their newest firmware. I've run a firmware check with both AT&T communication software as well as a Sierra Wireless program and both have no newer firmware updates to offer?

So I am curious if there is anyone else using an AT&T Shockwave modem and what router are you using with it?

From looking around the only other option in my consideration is the Wifiranger Go2 router. It looks like a good unit. I am concerned though that I may get this router and again have it not work. After checking with the customer service department I would be out my shipping both ways if it doesn't work and that would be close to $35 from my figuring. A bit more than I'd like to gamble.

If anyone is using the GO2 Router with this modem I'd love a quick mention of your experience so I could proceed with a bit more confidence. If anyone knows of another router they know works with this modem I'd appreciate that info too.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on this.

Jim

The AT&T USB Shockwave modem (Model USB308) which is manufactured by Sierra Wireless is specifically listed on the WiFiRanger website as being supported. https://www.wifiranger.com/support/supported-aircards Therefore, you have no risk with respect to purchasing a Go2 router since WFR has committed that the modem will work with its products and is prepared to provide assistance if you were to become a customer.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

mptjelgin: The problem is the MBR95 is no longer supported. But they are good routers and I keep mine as a spare in case my Pepwave Surf SOHO breaks. (I am not using a Shockwave, so the SOHO works for me).

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for your responses.

mptjelgin - I have looked at the mbr95 as well. Just doesn't seem like a good investment as its already unsupported. Good to know it works with a Shockwave.

docj - I appreciate the info on Wifiranger support. It's interesting to me that I got much the same response from Peplink before I purchased the Surf Soho. But in the end when the Shockwave did not work I had only the option for to return the router which ran into out of pocket shipping costs. I might try the Go2 if I can find an arrangement with a refund including shipping costs for an incompatible modem.

Jim

I might try the Go2 if I can find an arrangement with a refund including shipping costs for an incompatible modem.

Jim

Well, since it is listed as being supported I would think that would be your answer. .....It should work. Other supported modems do.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

mptjelgin: The problem is the MBR95 is no longer supported. But they are good routers and I keep mine as a spare in case my Pepwave Surf SOHO breaks. (I am not using a Shockwave, so the SOHO works for me).

Why do you say that the MBR95 is unsupported? It is certainly listed on the Cradlepoint web site as a supported router.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

mptjelgin - I have looked at the mbr95 as well. Just doesn't seem like a good investment as its already unsupported. Good to know it works with a Shockwave.

docj - I appreciate the info on Wifiranger support. It's interesting to me that I got much the same response from Peplink before I purchased the Surf Soho. But in the end when the Shockwave did not work I had only the option for to return the router which ran into out of pocket shipping costs. I might try the Go2 if I can find an arrangement with a refund including shipping costs for an incompatible modem

Well, since it is listed as being supported I would think that would be your answer. .....It should work. Other supported modems do.

I can assure you that modem will work or we'll give you a full refund including shipping. My experience with modems and the newer WFR firmware is that even unlisted modems worked just fine.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Why do you say that the MBR95 is unsupported? It is certainly listed on the Cradlepoint web site as a supported router.

It is not getting updated, but is still being sold. The last firmware update was last April and other models, including the 1200B, are getting newer firmware.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Hi Jimbo,

Here is my input on the problems you're having. USB modems can be a lot more problematic with routers than a lot of the newer fully embedded routing solutions. Devices like the Surf SOHO accept a wide array of USB devices but sometimes have issues with various USB modems. For example - The new ATT Beam is notorious for high power draw and we don't recommend using it with any of our routing platforms.

Because you already have the Shockwave and a standard 2FF SIM here's what I'd recommend. Bypass the USB modem completely and look at a fully embedded solution like the Pepwave Max BR1 Universal or the Cradlepoint IBR600LPE-AT series. Both of these devices completely bypass the USB modem, you simply insert the SIM directly into the device and have a hassle free 24/7 connection. The big difference is these devices are embedded instead of programmed around a 3rd party device so they have greater control and are a lot more reliable.

If you want to give one of these a shot just PM me or reference this thread for the 3Gstore support department. As long as your Surf SOHO wasn't purchased a while ago (> 30 days) I'll authorize a return for you on it with a waived restock on an embedded routing platform like the BR1 or 600 series etc. I think you'll be a lot happier and end up with a higher quality product that is hassle free. These are the typical solutions we supply for Police, Ambulance, Fire Trucks etc and are hardened units. They do cost a bit more than USB but if you're looking for a plug and play solution it's the route I recommend going.

Mobile_Matt

I wish that your post had happened a few days sooner, as I just ordered a Cradlepoint MBR95. I believe that I would rather have a Verizon version of the IBR600. The order has not shipped, and I would like to change it. I just sent you PM.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Hi Jimbo,

Here is my input on the problems you're having. USB modems can be a lot more problematic with routers than a lot of the newer fully embedded routing solutions. Devices like the Surf SOHO accept a wide array of USB devices but sometimes have issues with various USB modems. For example - The new ATT Beam is notorious for high power draw and we don't recommend using it with any of our routing platforms.

Because you already have the Shockwave and a standard 2FF SIM here's what I'd recommend. Bypass the USB modem completely and look at a fully embedded solution like the Pepwave Max BR1 Universal or the Cradlepoint IBR600LPE-AT series. Both of these devices completely bypass the USB modem, you simply insert the SIM directly into the device and have a hassle free 24/7 connection. The big difference is these devices are embedded instead of programmed around a 3rd party device so they have greater control and are a lot more reliable.

If you want to give one of these a shot just PM me or reference this thread for the 3Gstore support department. As long as your Surf SOHO wasn't purchased a while ago (> 30 days) I'll authorize a return for you on it with a waived restock on an embedded routing platform like the BR1 or 600 series etc. I think you'll be a lot happier and end up with a higher quality product that is hassle free. These are the typical solutions we supply for Police, Ambulance, Fire Trucks etc and are hardened units. They do cost a bit more than USB but if you're looking for a plug and play solution it's the route I recommend going.

That's an interesting possibility. But it lookslike the Cradlepoint is alreadyend of life March 1. I have alreadyreturned my peplink Surf Soho so I will continue research.

Thanks.

That's an interesting possibility. But it lookslike the Cradlepoint is alreadyend of life March 1. I have alreadyreturned my peplink Surf Soho so I will continue research.

Thanks.

About 3 months ago Cradlepoint launched their new LPE series using a new chipset. This chip on the embedded units adds additional bands like Verizon XLTE etc and the ability to do a carrier flash, which means one embedded router can be reflashed to use on any cellular provider. Because the older LE-VZ or LP-AT series don't have those additional bands they're just going away on March because the new units replace them.

Mobile_Matt

I wish that your post had happened a few days sooner, as I just ordered a Cradlepoint MBR95. I believe that I would rather have a Verizon version of the IBR600. The order has not shipped, and I would like to change it. I just sent you PM.

I've got a note on your invoice to hold the order so you can discuss the other units with us. Feel free to give us a call today or I can have someone reach out to you if that works better for you.

I've got a note on your invoice to hold the order so you can discuss the other units with us. Feel free to give us a call today or I can have someone reach out to you if that works better for you.

Thanks, I have changed my order to one of the new LPE units.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Archived