The Viet Nam Wall.......

Kirk W

We have visited both the one in Washington DC and the traveling one but whether you have been there or not, this site is well worth some time to explore it.

First click on a state. When it opens, scroll down to the city and the names will appear.

Then click on their names.It should show you a picture of the person, or at least their bio and medals.

The Wall

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks, Kirk, that's a great site. I've been to both memorials as well, and found several names of men I served with in 'Nam. A couple of names were a bit of a shock to me, since they both came home about the same time I did, but I didn't know they had returned for another tour.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

In spite of having many friends and family serve in Viet Nam I am thrilled to be able to say I know none of the names on the wall from either my or Dave's hometowns.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Kirk for providing this link. Regrettably 3 friends from my hometown are on the wall. Another is the younger brother of a friend I served with.

I have visited the permanent home of the traveling Wall in Truth or Consequences, NM. It's completely staffed by volunteers. Some day I plan to return.

edit: I discovered 30 men on the wall have the same last name as mine. That is mind staggering.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I was overwhelmed by the wall in D.C. and I was one who stayed stateside. It has to be even more powerful for those who went to Viet Nam. The young woman who designed that wall knew what she was about. An immersive experience. If you haven't been yet, I highly recommend going. Once. As the guys said above.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I was born and raised in Washington DC, left for Parris Island in 1968 went to Vietnam in 1969 came home late 1970, discharged and took a job at the Washington Navy Yard until Dec.18th 1983, resigned and went into the U S Secret Service Dec.19th 1983, retired Jan. 7th 2007, left DC Jan 8th 2007 for Florida, I could never gather enough nerve to visit the Vietnam memorial. I tried...

I hear you Larry. The silence there is deafening. Welcome to the forum.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I went a couple of times the summer I volunteer in that area and I'm glad. I had seen the traveling wall in Fla in 1999. I was there when they opened the WW11 memorial. I went to all of them I could including Korean. I don't know that it made me feel any better but I am still glad I went. If I had not got the volunteer gig I might have never had the chance. I kind of think in the future some big important memorials should be put in the center of the country so more people could have a shot at visiting them. May sound kind of stupid but it seems kind of reasonable to me.

I kind of think in the future some big important memorials should be put in the center of the country so more people could have a shot at visiting them. May sound kind of stupid but it seems kind of reasonable to me.

There's the Freedom Rock in Iowa. http://www.dailyyonder.com/freedom-rock-veterans-memorial-times-ten. Our visit to it was not as powerful as the wall but it was worth the stop. I wish I could go each year to see his current version in person.

Linda Sand

I have visited "The Wall" in Washington DC as well as most of the other war memorials there and a good many other monuments and battlefields around the country. All of them seem to have a way of touching my soul, but The Wall is most special to me because there are two names on the wall that are known to me, and probably also because it took place during my time in service. I have also been to the traveling Wall on three different occasions, the latest having been this summer in Hot Springs, SD.

12918_10203256088835839_6826237596267038

There are several other such memorials that mean a great deal as well. It does add impact to most people when they have someone they knew among those honored dead.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived