Sign in to follow this  
Jan Hogan

Alll of you in your mid 60's just wondering

Now that you are in your mid 60's do you eat less for your your dinner meals? I feel we no longer need to eat meat and potatoes every night but getting my DH on board is very hard. Have you cut back? If so what has been successful for you? Thanks in advance! Jan

I think throughout our 60's we found that we were eating smaller portions for dinner. Now in our early 70's, meals that we used eat in one sitting at a favorite restaurant are often cut in half, with one half brought home for the next evening's dinner. The remaining half is plenty for us.

Yes we have cut back. Often we will have a late lunch and skip dinner except for a few snacks in the evening.

Also here in the US the portion sizes are so large that we do the same as Dutch and take about half of the food home.

Edited by Jimalberta

At home, we eat smaller portions of mostly the same meals we've enjoyed for years along with new recipes we test from time to time. We have added more fish to our diet though.

funny how all the posts in reply that were here last night have disappeared. They were all the posts that said something similar to -- don't cut out meat and potatoes, just reduce the portion sizes.

We have reduced our portion sizes and on the rare occasion we go out to eat we often split one meal. At home we eat the same stuff, just less. We often eat salads with some protein (tuna, chicken, veggie burger etc.) for dinner. Lunch is a sandwich using "sandwich thins" bread which has less carbs & calories.

We now eat a late breakfast and early supper - two meals a day and smaller portions.

John

That's what we do too, brunch & 5ish dinner.

Barb

We've been eating smaller dinner portions for years even though we still have a light breakfast and lunch too. We have always split our meals when eating out. We like the same food and aren't huge fans of leftovers so it is easier to split. That said-----this doesn't apply to LOBSTER!! :P . I love it, Dutch doesn't so he can order whatever he wants and I eat until I am totally full and still bring some home for the next night. Good thing I don't crave it that often. Hugs, Di

Really depends on how much exercise you get and overall metabolism of each individual. I am 5 feet tall and 115 lbs and pretty active; the DH is 6 ft and 225. I eat about the same amount that he does. I do keep our red meat to a minimum and serve lots of veggies that aren't potatoes - I roast or grill them for extra flavor. Actually, eating several small meals throughout the day 3 meals plus 3 snacks) kicks up your metabolic rate and actually burns calories faster. But, three moderate portion-sized meals with a good balance of white meats, fish, and veggies as well as a mile or two brisk walk or run 3 times or more a week will keep you in tip top shape.