Transfer Switch

A year ago I replaced our IOTA 50amp transfer switch with a Progressive Dynamics 50amp switch which just quit today. Is there a better brand of automatic transfer switch out there in RV land that won't fail in a year? We do use generator power regularly so the switch is used when we're working.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

With the Progressive switch, you are using the relays whether you are on the generator or the shore power.

My Progressive switch is several years old. My Esco switch is 7 years old.

If you burned one out in one year, you probably need to do some more investigation of your electrical system beyond just replacing the transfer switch.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Also check with Progressive. They are suppose to have excellent customer service. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Here's an update.....

Last night I changed the generator input line plug, L-30 14 to the normal 30 amp RV plug and had limited power thru the transfer switch. This morning I removed the transfer switch and spliced the shore power input cable to the cable going to the main breaker panel. The Progressive industries 50amp EMC showed it was passing power thru but it wasn't reaching the panel. Time to remove the breaker panel cover and start probing there. After some careful wire probing and meter reading, I discovered that the main 50 amp dual breaker was only passing current on only 1 side, leaving the other side dead. Change the breaker, and all is good.

Never had a main breaker go bad, but it is. By the way its a Square D brand. Maybe made in China.

On the upside, I need to give kudo's to the Progressive Industries team. Last night when I called the after hours line I evidently got the owner. He didn't say so, but today on a return call, David the tech I spoke with informed me of that. Everyone was very helpful and David put me on the path to checking breakers which let me find the bad main.

Now back to our normal week events....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

When I checked with a sales person for Progressive Industries he told me that Progressive Dynamics was in fact a different company. However, he also said BOTH companies have excellent customer service. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Archived