Anyone have a Garmin RV 760 LMT - installation question

defboater

Thanks again for your experience and advice. Does anyone have this model GPS? Would appreciate your thoughts and advice on which model GPS. This is our first GPS and need advice about installation in the truck.

Appreciate your advice!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

So how is this powered, does a GPS plug into the 9 volt plug in the dash? Do they come with an antenna and how would this be installed?

I think we're leaning toward the beanbag, where did you get it?

Thanks!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We have been using the Garmin 760 for almost a year and use a heavy base, we purchased from Wal-Mart if I remember correctly, and sit it on the trucks dash. It's easy to grab and make changes rather than using a suction cup. We used the same base on our previous Garmins. I will say we like it MUCH better that the complicated Ford nav system. It has several qualifiers (FHU, 50a, etc) for finding campgrounds and find that most of these qualifiers eliminate most all campgrounds that should not be eliminated so we do not use these qualifiers to see all the GGs. It's larger that previous Garmins and easier to see. We had one problem with an intermittent 1/4" wide blue line at the top of the maps so had it replaced under warranty. Well.....the replacement does the same thing and checking with a friend his does too. It really isn't a problem to us but just concerned it doesn't grow wider. We turned off many of the audio alerts but kept the school zone speed warning. We also turned off many of the visual icons for food, fuel etc. on the map. We like the Garmin 760. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We have used this GPS on one 800 mile trip so far, and we are pleased. Easy to see and use. When we first bought it I decided to test the low bridge warning when we were not towing. I created a route and deviated from the route as I knew there was low bridge in town. As soon as I turned on the street, I got the warning, So that was good.

We also use a heavy mount (Garmin Portable Friction Mount) and like it allot.

George and Ann Marie

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, 640W of Solar

2012 Ram 3500, DRW, Cummins, Big Horn, Q20, Retrax Pro

Retired US Army

I use the supplied suction cup mount, both in the Kenworth when we're traveling and in my pickup when we're not, and have found it to be more than adequate for the task. The only notable exception is that because of the weight of the device, you can't leave the device installed indefinitely without having to occasionally "re-stick" the suction cup.

As others have said, I've been extremely pleased with the device.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Major fan of the RV 760. Radio Shack has/had an outstanding bean bag base that the suction mount attached to. Unfortunately, I've heard RS is declaring bankruptcy so that avenue may be out but I'm sure there are others available elsewhere. We have stayed with the bean bag so the wife can easily access to do some trip planning while we're in motion without having to disconnect the unit. This also keeps it fully charged and ready for taking with in the toad.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

We bought the RV760LMT by Garmin last year and have been pleased so far as others here have said. We bought the bean-bag base (?portable friction mount same thing?) -- bought both on Amazon. We like being able to move so either pilot or co-pilot can view screen, and bean bag base does stay put where you set it on dash of MH. Screen is big enough for easy reading while in motion on the road. We also bought a universal hard-side storage case on Amazon and when parked at cg longer than overnight stop, or winter months not traveling, makes a safe way to protect RV760 screen etc from damage. We also downloaded Garmin Basecamp to laptop which we also use when planning routes, stops, etc prior to MH trip. Best wishes for safe travels :- )

Archived