5th wheel vs motorhome

SWharton

The removable hitches do free up the bed when not towing, but I would be surprized if they do much if anything to allow permanently mounted/secured tool boxes or storage compartments in the truck bed and still tow a 5er. Removing the tool boxes and finding a place to carry them might also be as much of a pain as removing the hitch to put them back in. I think this might be why a considerable number of traveling construction workers tow travel trailers with a pickup or full size 250/2500/350/3500 van.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on another forum where this MH owner bragged that his kids were free to roam around and even his wife could go to the bathroom while in motion..I gather this was a major plus for his wife in the purchasing process.. i gather he also rids his motorcycle w/o a helmet..

It is amazing how small of a hole in the windshield will allow a human body through...and they do not look pretty afterwards..

Dough heads like these should have to go to an accident or two... and it is no wonder first responders get PTD..

Some days, I just have to shake my head...

I am on another forum where this MH owner bragged that his kids were free to roam around and even his wife could go to the bathroom while in motion.

There are fifth wheel owners who let the kids ride in the trailer unsupervised too! Might be that all of those dangerous RV's should be banned! It never ceases to amaze me how this sort of story always comes as support for not buying a motorhome, usually by a fifth wheel owner. As though you have to let children run about while moving if you buy one.....

We have traveled many times with grandchildren who much prefer the motorhome because they are able to sit, seat belted properly, at a table where they can play a board game, color, read, or even watch a movie on TV in safety while underway. If they or one of us wish to use the bathroom, we can pull over, use the facilities, get a drink, and be back properly belted into our seats in a very short stop on any exit ramp or parking spot. And we do it without getting wet even in pouring rain! You do not have to live dangerously when using a motorized RV, any more than you must if pulling some type of trailer.

There are just as many stupid people in fifth wheel trailers as in any other type of RV. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are fifth wheel owners who let the kids ride in the trailer unsupervised too! Might be that all of those dangerous RV's should be banned! It never ceases to amaze me how this sort of story always comes as support for not buying a motorhome, usually by a fifth wheel owner. As though you have to let children run about while moving if you buy one.....

We have traveled many times with grandchildren who much prefer the motorhome because they are able to sit, seat belted properly, at a table where they can play a board game, color, read, or even watch a movie on TV in safety while underway. If they or one of us wish to use the bathroom, we can pull over, use the facilities, get a drink, and be back properly belted into our seats in a very short stop on any exit ramp or parking spot. And we do it without getting wet even in pouring rain! You do not have to live dangerously when using a motorized RV, any more than you must if pulling some type of trailer.

There are just as many stupid people in fifth wheel trailers as in any other type of RV. :)

So these people are not only stupid, they are committing a crime as well ? That is illegal in many states and provinces.

Who said anything about banning a certain type of rig ??

I have absolutely no problem with nor most thinking adults would have issues with owning a MH so "the kids are able to sit, seat belted properly, at a table where they can play a board game, color, read, or even watch a movie on TV in safety while underway".

But I would put money on it that that is not what happens...the driver is not going to pull over every time johnny or sally wants to go to the head... while I am putting money down, I bet that the incidence of this happens way more in a MH than a 5th...

I was a first responder.. I repeat, for those that think like this should have to work at one or two accidents ..

I will accept the moniker about being anal about safety..

Ian

For us it was a matter of how we would use the Rv. I was in favor of the MH as I drove big busses after retirement and IMO they were much easier to maneuver. Wife and her tape measure found that the was more storage room in a 40 foot 5th wheel than a 40 foot MH. IMO the idea of a MH sitting for long periods of time was not a good use of resources. We stayed in warm places for 6 months at a time.

They both have advantages but IMO the determining factor is how you intend to travel and use the unit.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Ian, back in the early 90's when we owned a motorhome we were those stupid people. The only seat-belts in the rig were the front seats. The passenger side was a double so at least a total of 3 people could be belted. We took a 5,000 mile trip with 4 adults and 6 kids and always moved about the MH. Looking back I wonder WTF were we thinking? We were obviously lucky because nothing happened but If I were to do it again it would be done right.

No seat-belts in my 5th wheel. Letting people or pets ride in the 5th wheel while it's underway whether with or against the law is pretty dam stupid to me.

You can never be to Anal about safety.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

We're in that small group that is thinking about going from a DP to a TT.

David... Sue and I had a 29' Alpenlite 5th wheel and the ability to put anything in the bed of the pickup while towing was really problematic. For one thing, the aerodynamics of towing a 5er can create a suction in the pickup bed and we had all sorts of things fly out on the road.

Our choices, when we decided to work towards snow-birding, were a Foretravel motor home or a 26-to-30 foot travel trailer. Since we already had a 21' Streamline TT (vintage 1970s) we knew we would need something larger. But the Streamline trailers are such well-built little vehicles that we felt that one of those would be acceptable (if not perfect).

A high-canopy on our pickup truck gives us a lot of protected storage (although it could be arranged better); far more storage than our old 5er. We also would get excellent fuel economy with a Streamline TT (we certainly get that with the 21-footer).

There are Streamline trailers all around the US in various states of preservations. But they were very well made and if they were taken care of at all they make excellent mobile habitats. They have usable bathrooms and showers, usually twin beds (which Sue and I would prefer, frankly), Coleman furnaces, hot water heat, decent galley arrangements and acceptable living areas. We have towed our 21-footer up and down the Pacific coast with zero issues and much comfort.

Good luck in your searching. Hate to lose you from the FT group but you sound like you've found something you enjoy. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

OP: The only time we walked in the motorhome while under way was when one of us had to use the bathroom or to get a drink out of the refrigerator. This was only done when we saw a straight road ahead of us with little or no traffic. Even then, it's difficult to walk a straight line. We would never let people roam freely around during a drive - especially children.

RE: Cooking. We have used the crockpot which was setting in the sink. We've had BBQ ribs waiting for us at the end of the day. I really don't think people really cook a meal on the stovetop while driving. I've never heard of it being done. Cold items from the refrigerator or snacks from the pantry - yes. I've never seen an article written in Motorhome magazine stating that people cook and walk around freely.

We full-timed 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel but we never did like driving the truck around siteseeing. Friends got us interested in Jeeping so we switched to a 40' motorhome and Jeep and had wonderful times for the next 10 years. Space-wise: both were adequate. Driving: the motorhome was tops. Setup: We found the motorhome to be a LOT easier. Except for a 5-month winter stay we traveled extensively, including Alaska and also stayed put for a few months occasionally to volunteer. The motorhome worked well for us.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I think a motorhome works better if you are more in a travel mode and spend less time staying in one place. A big advantage is being able to unhook and be on your way in less than five minutes.

And you don't HAVE to have a toad if you full time in a motorhome. I have full-timed in a 32' Class C for almost three years with no toad, although it does mean more planning and having slight limitations in where you can shop and eat out. I use my electric bike for short exploring trips and do my shopping between campgrounds. And since I am the driver and travel solo, obviously I do not walk around while on the road! But it is easy to pull off into a parking lot or rest area to use the bathroom and get a snack from the refrigerator.

You can RV and even full-time in almost anything. The key is your lifestyle and preferences.

A motor home can tow your car... or a boat for fishing... or another trailer for your mother-in-law... or a trailer full of ATVs. In many states (including where I live) you cannot tow anything behind a 5th wheel.

But the big reason I like my motor home is being able to talk to the DW in a normal voice without wind noise and engine noise interfering. And we don't have the dogs right behind us enjoying the view right over our shoulders.

And I love the view from the driver's seat... often I look down into the cabs of 18-wheelers but I never have a van blocking my view of the road ahead. Nor do bridge railings block the sight of tumbling water.

The seats are big, move in all directions to help alleviate fatigue and I have terrific foot room.

I've RVed in campers (two), travel trailers (2), fifth wheels trailer (1), a class B high-top van (1), a small class A diesel (Winnebago Le Sharo) and our current class A diesel pusher. I have opinions, no doubt about it, but they are based on my experiences.

WDR

Ham Radio

Thought I posted, but don't see it now..

Being (71) years old and having owned/towed just about everything possible I would summarize it this way:
Young, energetic with family and anxious for adventure............. 5th Wheel

Older, retired, and content to relax more and enjoy the sites........Motor Home

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

I have dealt with the same issue and ended up with a fiver. What the first poster stated regarding walking around in a moving MH is right on but it would be nice to go to the bathroom

while moving if you had to. We ended up with the fiver because we tend to stay in one place for longer periods of time and I liked the idea of only one motor, in my pickup.

With a MH you must tow an auto for when you are parked if you want to get around. If I moved around a lot and didn't always unhook the auto, parking in a pull thru, it would make more sense

for me to have a MH. Good Luck

We had to spend 5 days living in our motor home next to a repair facility over New Year 2015. We had 30-amp power but no water or dump (or another facility) but at least we did not have to stay in a motel; which would have been difficult with two dogs and a cat. We managed ok and even did some touring around in the toad (a Jeep Wrangler).

Luckily, we have a motor home. Companies are accustomed to motor home owners having to live in their vehicle while it's being repaired.

The same cannot be said for cars and trucks serviced at car and truck dealerships. They seldom will let you live on their lot ("insurance, you know") and even if they will they won't have anything other than an extension cord to give you electrical power.

So where do you sleep if your towing vehicle is in the shop having its engine worked on? And more importantly, how do you get there?

If you have a motor home you probably have a toad so even if you cannot live in the RV at the shop while it's out of service, at least you can get to a motel; and to the motel of your choice, even (as opposed to whatever motel is within walking distance of the shop).

We never had to face that issue but I think I would be tempted to rent a truck from U-Haul to tow my travel trailer to a local RV park. I'm not sure how I'd get a fifth wheel anywhere, though. Rental pickup trucks with a 5th wheel hitch are a lot less common than a truck with a receiver hitch.

One more thing to think about.

WDR

Ham Radio

WDR, we have Good Sam Emergency Road Service, others have CoachNet. When we had truck problems a few years ago Good Sam had the rig towed to a Ford dealer where they dropped the truck off. They then used a dually to tow the fifth wheel to a campground we selected so we had FHUs. They paid for all this. We do live in our home if the truck is in the shop, the dealer picked us up at the campground after the truck was repaired. We could also have rented a car if needed. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

In most every area, at least one recovery company will have a wrecker capable of moving a 5th wheel. Simply not an issue.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You guys are very creative in creating "situations" to justify your choices.

I can create an argument for anything. And even an argument that makes sense. The bottom line is what was said some time ago - it is personal preference that typically drives the decision.

One thing that always amuses me is the MH owners that believe that a MH is so much easier to set up than a 5er. How is that again? I've owned both....both are about the same, depending on how they are optioned/configured. About the only difference is that I have to unlatch the hitch on the 5er....which literally takes 30 seconds....OK, maybe a minute if you count lowering the front legs. Less time - I'll point out - than unhooking a car from a MH. Again - personal preference rules.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You guys are very creative in creating "situations" to justify your choices.

I can create an argument for anything. And even an argument that makes sense. The bottom line is what was said some time ago - it is personal preference that typically drives the decision.

One thing that always amuses me is the MH owners that believe that a MH is so much easier to set up than a 5er. How is that again? I've owned both....both are about the same, depending on how they are optioned/configured. About the only difference is that I have to unlatch the hitch on the 5er....which literally takes 30 seconds....OK, maybe a minute if you count lowering the front legs. Less time - I'll point out - than unhooking a car from a MH. Again - personal preference rules.... :)

As always ... good points..

I only would add that your comment does not apply when pulling into a campsite in the middle of a rain storm :)

I had to do this more than three times last year..and sure was glad I had my motor home instead of my previous 5th wheel.

Just pull in, level up (from inside) ... fire up the generator, and relax until weather gets better...

Fix dinner, watch TV, or whatever.....Wala...

After the weather cleared, hooked up the outside electricity, water and plumbing...

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Ha ha Jack you are right.

I talked to one guy today who is all worried about what if his motor fails on his Dutch Star and his toad at the same time. I asked him how many he's ever heard of that happening. Good grief. Seems like people invent things to worry about.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Hubby and I had the same discussion. He wanted a motorhome because set up was easier and quicker plus we could have towed our existing vehicle. He also liked the idea of being able to just get up and go to the bathroom. BUT....when we started looking at them, the kitchen space was just way too small for me since we're full timing it. There was just no way I could work in that little space and the very little storage space. Compared to 5th wheels, there seemed to be more 'livable' storage and comfort and a more 'apartment' feel. PLUS, the price for a decent one was more than we could afford.

In the end, we are trading in our existing truck and bought a 5th wheel. Hoping to set out as soon as the house sells!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

The galley in our DP is much bigger than the galley in our 32' sailboat... where the DW cooked for 5 years. And not much bigger than our SnB, actualy.

Besides... it's not that big a job cooking for a guy who actually likes frozen chicken pot pies. :P

WDR

Ham Radio

...They then used a dually to tow the fifth wheel to a campground we selected so we had FHUs.

I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with this term.

What is/are a FHU?

And thumbs up for the two Chicken Pot Pie comments above. Love 'em!!

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Archived