Interesting Dash Cam

Big5er

Also if the camera is recording, the rate of speed the camera is recording, compared with the time it takes an object to cross the screen can be used to compute the vehicle speed. Kinda like the old days of having the police sitting on an overpass timing you from line to line.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure there are ways to figure out speed. All kinds of ways. But in the real world you just aren't going to be having a cop by the side of the road watching your video and timing it and counting poles and then going out to measure how far apart the poles are and doing the math. But, if your video has an indication of the speed you can bet the cop is going to look at that. I stand by my post #35. And my comments go hand in hand with that "Windshield Witness" page mentioned by TXiceman in post #68.

1Rod, I opened my files up in "Windows Live Movie Maker" and with a bit of fooling around figured out how to edit the clips and save them as .wmv's. I don't know if "Live" is different than "Windows Movie Maker."

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Sure there are ways to figure out speed. All kinds of ways. But in the real world you just aren't going to be having a cop by the side of the road watching your video and timing it and counting poles and then going out to measure how far apart the poles are and doing the math. But, if your video has an indication of the speed you can bet the cop is going to look at that. I stand by my post #35. And my comments go hand in hand with that "Windshield Witness" page mentioned by TXiceman in post #68.

1Rod, I opened my files up in "Windows Live Movie Maker" and with a bit of fooling around figured out how to edit the clips and save them as .wmv's. I don't know if "Live" is different than "Windows Movie Maker."

X2

One solution don't speed, could not resist. :P:)

But you are right Bob, and I am betting that most of us do not speed, in our HDT's (notice I didn't say in our smart cars, etc), which makes me wonder about everyone's aversion to having a witness to that fact.

I'm an accident investigator, an accident reconstructionist and am trained in post crash commercial vehicle inspection. In an accident severe enough to utilize my skills, they will determine your speed one way or another. It's that plain old accident, not the one where people die, but the one where you get your butt sued off that I will thankful for that gps camera. The accident where no one used my skills to determine your speed and there you sit in court, with no expert testimony about your speed. You and that attorney that you are paying by the hour trying to convince the jury that you "know" you weren't speeding while that crying con man and his wife swear that they and their children will forever be scarred and in pain because of your negligence. Their attorney will be bringing up your lack of experience, your lack of training on driving a "commercial" truck (if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...), your lack of a cdl (everyone else driving your kind of truck MUST have one), all in an effort to show 12 people that have never even seen an HDT RV that you were reckless in the operations of your "RV". How you, an outsider to their peaceful neighborhood, caused so much damage with that huge, grossly inappropriately sized, behemoth of a truck that you are not qualified to drive, while hauling ass at an inappropriate speed on their beautiful and peaceful roads, terrifying their citizens. You may be able to show skills, training, etc, but to people unskilled in accident investigation, the disproportionate damage will be begging them to believe you were speeding and nothing you say will dissuade them from that belief, because at the time of that relatively minor crash (as far as crashes go) no one bothered to calculate your speed. No matter if the other guy pulled out ahead of you, if YOU were not speeding, then their poor innocent neighbor wouldn't have gotten hit. That accident report will have no mention of your speed, because at the scene your speed was too difficult to determine and basically unnecessary for such a routine accident. The officer asked you and the other driver how fast you were each going. Both parties will deny speeding while blaming the other driver. When the civil trial comes along, two or five years later, and you sit there trying to be honest, listening to their lies you will be kicking yourself in the ass for not documenting the whole thing a lot better and not being able to PROVE your side of the story.

Yeah, I like my Garmin. Heaven forbid, but if necessary, my attorney will like my Garmin too. You can like your camera too, that is fine. You have your reasons, and I have mine. I am happy with mine logic, and I am sure you are happy with yours.

My last crash was my fault....no doubt about it. It was a relatively minor accident....in a school zone. Thanks to the dash cam in that county ride, I have a beautiful video reminder of the day I screwed up. I also have a beautiful video showing me driving along at 14 mph in that 20 mph school zone before I hit the brakes. GPS isn't fast enough to show impact speed, it takes 4-6 seconds, at least, to catch up, but it still proves that I wasn't speeding, that I did hit the brakes and the official guestimate is that I hit the other guy at less than 5 mph. I put a dimple in that Silverado's pretty chrome bumper, and a blemish on the rubber/plastic molding on my brush guard. I'll take that witness with me to court all day long.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Three accidents (of statute) in over 5 decades of driving. One I caused, no doubt, distracted. The other two I was s a"victim". The "causees" lied through their teeth, one had a lawyer that lied through his teeth, the cop that "supposedly witnessed it" lied through his teeth, the "causee" was a 300 pound woman and she performed for the crowd being loaded on the stretcher (that alone would be good for million hits on youtube). The other time I was broadsided. The stupid insurance companies paid these two morons, it's easier to give couple crooks few bucks and raise yours and everyone's rates than to make things right. A dash cam would have been nice.

If I got one for the HDT, I would mount it on the side through the passenger window, that's where most "entertainment" occurs watching morons trying to merge with a 70 foot rig. Do I speed up? Do I slow down? Can I force him to move over one lane? If I run out of on ramp I can always continue on the grass for a while, that will move him over!

Phil, you make an interesting point about not speeding in the truck. I'm almost always below the limits, and if I'm not it is because I'm coasting to go down to the "new" limit and may of not reached it yet. So maybe I'll change my mind about the speed thing in the truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

45 years of accident free driving, then two weeks ago I get hit from behind while turning in to my farm drive. $3500 damage to my truck, and a totalled Pontiac G6. She didn't even touch her brakes.........

Sad part is, I was on my way to trade in that truck...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

rickeieio, that sux... :wacko:

Jack, I drive the HDT sort of like you, 60-65 is about my max on the interstate, the others can go around. I get my best fuel mileage there and the best handling. I don't like the way that air ride front axle feels at 70 anyway and since that hurts my mileage, it's just another reason not to go that fast. In town, with lights and corners and even more idiots on the road? Hell no. I am driving with my head in a constant spin, this mirror, that mirror, look left, look right, don't forget straight ahead. I am way to busy driving slow to speed. The other guy is going to want to convince somebody that you were exceeding the speed limit at some factor of warp speed. Using your scenario I'll even take a GPS witness that shows I am speeding just past the sign, but in the process of slowing. My lawyer would even like that more than having nothing: "see, my client is slowing, aware of his speed, and the speed limit, when Mr. Moron, who obviously wasn't paying attention, suddenly pulled out in front. See how my clients speed drops rapidly when he sees Mr. Moron? My client WAS obviously paying attention, not only to his own vehicle and speed but also his surroundings and other vehicles...blah blah safe blah blah moron is a liar".

Hey, if your insurance wants to settle, then you can't change that, but when the moron sees big truck and big trailer and refuse$ the $ettlement, what are you gonna do?

Now that hundred mile an hour gocart they call a smart? :ph34r: Shoot, I drive mine like I stole it.

EDIT: If you have been driving along the same road for a while it can also show your driving style to that jury. 20 minutes on the same road (or similar) and not speeding there. And that history is the one YOU saved for that possible court appearance.

OH and BTW: The speed is too small to see on playback ON the Garmin. You need to watch it on something larger. At the scene, just show it on the Gramin. Cop is not gonna get a warrant for your video on "just a wreck". But he saw it, will document what he saw.

2014 smart Fortwo

Like it is so well put in many of the previous comments, I have video records of events around me to add value to my words.

I do not lie, many don't, but there are still who will / can / do. It is less important for people like me who have little worth taking,

but it can become real important for those that have a bit put away. Henry, it is a good idea to stick one on the port side window

so you can know what the vehicle looked like before he ran under your back wheels. The G1W or similar for the ~$50~total cost

is a stick it and forget it solution, maybe on the sleeper window instead of the door so it's out of the way. ;)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

G1W's work fine. I have them pointing to the front, right and left. When I'm having a bad day and need a "laugh" I'll down load one of the SD cards and watch it on a "Big" screen....works every time. Just cheap insurance and piece of mind!

Scott

Scott, you want a break from regular laughter to hysterical convulsions, turn one of those pups around on yourself for a while. LOL

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

I run a Canon Vixia HF21 in 1080p @60 fps on a home built suction cup mount. Battery life is about 3 hours, 64g memory with a card slot for more. I use a separate Track stick for GPS data that includes speed, elevation, and a bunch of other data that maps up on google earth when downloaded. I prefer to have the video and data on separate devices. At some point I'll switch to an action cam, probably between a 4k gopro or a 4k Sony. I want to see a second gen Sony 4k action cam before I decide, but that will be a while since the latest just came out in Jan 15.

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com

Phil, you make an interesting point about not speeding in the truck. I'm almost always below the limits, and if I'm not it is because I'm coasting to go down to the "new" limit and may of not reached it yet. So maybe I'll change my mind about the speed thing in the truck.

There are good reasons on both sides. As cheap and small as they are, i think I'll mount 2 - one with gps and one without side by side. That way i can present whichever is most advantageous.

rickeieio, that sux... :wacko:

Jack, I drive the HDT sort of like you, 60-65 is about my max on the interstate, the others can go around. I get my best fuel mileage there and the best handling. I don't like the way that air ride front axle feels at 70 anyway and since that hurts my mileage, it's just another reason not to go that fast. In town, with lights and corners and even more idiots on the road? Hell no. I am driving with my head in a constant spin, this mirror, that mirror, look left, look right, don't forget straight ahead. I am way to busy driving slow to speed. The other guy is going to want to convince somebody that you were exceeding the speed limit at some factor of warp speed. Using your scenario I'll even take a GPS witness that shows I am speeding just past the sign, but in the process of slowing. My lawyer would even like that more than having nothing: "see, my client is slowing, aware of his speed, and the speed limit, when Mr. Moron, who obviously wasn't paying attention, suddenly pulled out in front. See how my clients speed drops rapidly when he sees Mr. Moron? My client WAS obviously paying attention, not only to his own vehicle and speed but also his surroundings and other vehicles...blah blah safe blah blah moron is a liar".

Hey, if your insurance wants to settle, then you can't change that, but when the moron sees big truck and big trailer and refuse$ the $ettlement, what are you gonna do?

Now that hundred mile an hour gocart they call a smart? :ph34r: Shoot, I drive mine like I stole it.

EDIT: If you have been driving along the same road for a while it can also show your driving style to that jury. 20 minutes on the same road (or similar) and not speeding there. And that history is the one YOU saved for that possible court appearance.

OH and BTW: The speed is too small to see on playback ON the Garmin. You need to watch it on something larger. At the scene, just show it on the Gramin. Cop is not gonna get a warrant for your video on "just a wreck". But he saw it, will document what he saw.

X2 but don't have a dash cam yet but will get one. I wish I could integrate a hitch cam in the dash cam caused I need to get both and be nice to have it all inclusive. :) I have a feeling very few here speed in the HDT but yea the Smart car lookout!!!! ;)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

X2 but don't have a dash cam yet but will get one. I wish I could integrate a hitch cam in the dash cam caused I need to get both and be nice to have it all inclusive. :) I have a feeling very few here speed in the HDT but yea the Smart car lookout!!!! ;)

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/camera-systems/d-series-camera-system-model-rvs-2770-dvr.html

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I mounted the Garmin about a week ago and I installed a 12v, switched, plug in the overhead CB cabinet today. Everything up there has constant power so I just ran a single wire up there. Now the Garmin will turn itself on and off. I had other things I "planned" to get done today but got called out for a little spill. Tanker driver didn't want to wait in traffic to get around a little wreck, so he tried to turn onto a little residential road. He didn't make it and rolled his tanker over onto the side. Of course the roll over causes a little leak, so they called the world (and me) out. I couldn't understand the issue, he was only hauling 6700 gallons of toluene. Of course they drilled holes in his tanker and pumped the stuff into another tanker and all was right in the world again. Too bad I didn't take the Garmin with me.

635645435858606161-overturned-tanker-cha

I'm thinking that the trucks frame is a little twisted but there are a few folks here that might think they can un-twist it :lol:

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm wondering what was in that drivers mind thinking he could make that turn......apparently nothing....

That is, unless I'm seeing the picture incorrectly.

This is the stuff that Danielle dealt with for a living. Driver training was apparently not too good here. I'd show her the picture, but that would just remind her of things, and the next leg of our trip to CO I would be subject to more safety "tips". :) Not that they are not appreciated....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My DW was never in the safety business but I am reminded of it all the time. :) We took our air brake training course and licencing testing together and she makes sure the the pre-trip is up to her standards. :) Not that it is not appreciated....

Phil....any luck with the clips?

Rick, I smooth forgot. I will try to get some this weekend and post them. :wacko:

Jack, you're seeing it right. That isn't a 90, its well past that. But the funny thing was that the driver with the empty tank pulled up from the same direction, swung wide and pulled right in beside the rolled one. I looked at their safety director and asked "why couldn't the other one do it like that?" He just sorta glared at me for a minute.

2014 smart Fortwo

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter helped me move my motorcycle today and she followed me with my Garmin traffic camera in the car. It was 9:30 am and we were heading east and I have to say I am not impressed with how visible I am from behind. I have on a HI VIS vest but all I can see is a dark silhouette. You cannot see a tail light at all. The brake light is visible but not as much as I would like. If anyone knows how to upload video from a Garmin camera I will upload a few shots. I can view it but can't seem to send it anywhere to view outside the Garmin program. Phil have you had any luck moving. I think I read something about you changing the file type. I tried that but still cannot see the video. Can see there is data, but not the actual photo or video.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived