Interesting Dash Cam

Big5er

I never said you have to turn over camera data. And I never said GPS was accepted by the courts (or a cop sitting in his squad at the accident scene) for speed proof. I think somebody should re-read my earlier posts. Thank you.

And no one ever said that you did Bob. Maybe you need to re-read earlier posts? (Try Dave's post on the bottom of page two). But you did imply that you wouldn't want your video to show you doing 3 mph over the posted speed. You are welcome.

And if, in MN, driving 3 mph over the posted speed means that I suddenly lose the right of way, in a lane where my vehicle is already established, then I am betting I don't want to drive in MN. Would you please show me this law?

I know it has a shock sensor to lock in from 2 minutes prior to the event. Is that time adjustable? Like 30 seconds prior seems plenty long to me. Is it easy to trigger the lock manually after an event? My work (when I was working that is) had a camera system with a large button that was easy to push when I wanted to store an event. Those buttons on the Garmin look kind of small and none appears labeled "start" or "store" of "record" so I'm wondering how easy it is to trigger? I think a large easy one button push is important. I would also want to make sure that the same button doesn't stop record. So, say the shock triggers record and I reflexively push the record button to make sure I lock in the event. I don't want doing that to stop the record you know?
And since no one here has said they actually own one, have you considered reading the owners manual for the answers to these questions? www.garmin.com/us/support
It appears that the reason the buttons aren't clearly labeled is because, like so many other devices, in different screens the buttons do different things. And a quick read of page 1 says that when it is connected to an ignition switched plug, it turns on with the vehicle and starts recording immediately. To stop recording, do the opposite: turn off your truck. The manual also tells you which button to push to protect and save the current video.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if, in MN, driving 3 mph over the posted speed means that I suddenly lose the right of way, in a lane where my vehicle is already established, then I am betting I don't want to drive in MN. Would you please show me this law?

Minnesota statute 169.20 Subdivision 1 (d) The driver of any vehicle traveling at an unlawful speed shall forfeit any right-of-way which the driver might otherwise have hereunder.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

That section applies to "approaching an intersection". So, if you approach an intersection at an unlawful speed you will forfeit any right of way you had. Kinda strange, and probably extremely impossible to prove unless you blow through an intersection at something approaching warp speed. I'd be curious how they enforce it LOL

Oh well, really doesn't matter to me because you are 100% correct. I won't be coming to Minnesota anytime soon.

2014 smart Fortwo

Actually I haven't. It should be here soon. I had a cheap one but will replace it with the Garmin once it arrives. The Garmin will be "hard wired" in and permanently assigned to the truck. I will continue to use my GoPro for kayaking and other activities.

2014 smart Fortwo

Do you plug the SD or miniSD card from a dash cam into a pc and use the pc's supplied video software to view the files?

Thanks

That's how I do mine. I have a couple of the "less" expensive models that us both SD and miniSD and also use mini USB as well as HDMI. I prefer to just use the SD cards viewed on my computer.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got my Garmin Dash Cam 20 yesterday. I finally got a chance to play with it today and so far, I LIKE IT !!! :)

The video quality seems to be pretty good (to my standards anyway). It displays date, time, lat/lon and speed on the screen. You can turn off the internal mic and the buttons are large enough to see and feel. The power button is recessed in the side, along with the microSD card slot. You must press and hold the power off button to turn it off. It isn't a long "hold" but an accidental push won't do it. You can remove the microSC card and use the included adapter to put it straight into your computer or just use the included usb cable and plug the whole camera in. The video screen has an auto off feature so even though the camera is on and recording the screen is not lit up for others to see or to distract the driver. The video files are in .avi format so any windows computer is capable of playing them. The camera, when plugged into the computer, shows up as a removable device so it can be explored and read just like any other drive. If you plug it into anything other than a computer, it turns itself on and starts recording. Turning off the power (or unplugging it) turns it off. It has a selectable shut down delay if you choose to let it run for 1, 3 or 5 minutes after the power goes off. While it is recording you simply press the camera button and it will take a photo. Easy for those "Gee I wish I had a camera" moments or when you want to take a snap shot of what is left of that idiot that thought he could run across all 5 lanes of the interstate.

It comes with two mounts, one suction cup and one low profile stick-on. Tomorrow I plan to put it in my work truck and let it run all day. I will tell you how real moving video looks. It also comes with a 4g microSD card. It requires a Class 10 card and 32g is the largest they say it can accept. Best Buy has a variety of name brands for under $30 so I will get one tomorrow for the road test.

2014 smart Fortwo

In case anyone is interested:

I ran the Garmin Dash Cam 20 camera all day today in my work truck. Recording at 1080p, and using a 32g memory card, it recorded from 7:34 am till I got home at at 4:26 pm, so basically it will capture 9 full hours of video. Of course, I work a 10 hour shift so it won't quite get my whole day (maybe if I used a switched plug and let it turn off when I went for lunch and potty breaks). I also have the audio feature turned off, so that may increase the video size and that will have to figure in to the amount of video it it is capable of storing.

The video quality is actually very good. Watching the video on my 52" television it is full screen and the license plates of vehicles in front of my pickup are plainly visible and legible. Still photos are also very high quality.

Overall, I am impressed so far.

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks for doing the research on this camera for us, Big5er. Now that we know that it's a good product, you know what y'all can send all of us here on the HDT Forum as birthday gifts. ;) I'll be getting our address to you shortly, since my birthday is coming up.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Yes, please make some clips available.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes Phil, maybe some of our favorite Walmart parking lot types, like driving down the highway with the popouts extended or some such.

My guess is most of the time is a little boring, when I watch mine, real boring is what I want.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

ok, ok...I will run the camera again today and I will move the papers off the dash..you know, the ones that caused a mild reflection on every video from yesterday :) Then I will post a boring clip or two. Hopefully I will find one that doesn't show my fat posterior looking under a truck. :ph34r:

After this, it gets mounted in the Volvo, never to be removed again....hopefully :)

2014 smart Fortwo

Most dash cams are "set it and forget it". The main issue seems to be GPS speed & location capturing. Is it really necessary to capture speed & location and will that captured info hurt you more often than help you? Does the Garmin allow turning off the GPS feature?

While captured Speed & location might get you out of a speeding ticket in that rare instance that the Cop was wrong - In the real biggie accident it may act as evidence against you to show you were speeding. Seems like you have more to lose than gain by having that feature!

So, the main question is, if you could turn the GPS off - Would You?

Or, put another way, assuming you cannot disable GPS in the Garmin setup, The Garmin Dash Cam 10 is without GPS while the Garmin Dash Cam 20 is with GPS (and price is not an issue as there is ony ~$20 difference) - Which would you buy?

Personally, I would not use one with speed on it. Too much to lose in a big accident. JMO.

These are very expensive systems relative to the HD quality versions under $100. If you don't want the GPS data, are they really worth it?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I tried to export a file to a couple locations to upload for viewing. No go. Not supported by Windows Movie Maker and if I try something else it doesn't do anything. Maybe the next time I plug it in I will try to import my video into PICASA.

In the truck going with the flow of traffic should work in your favor even if it's above the posted speed limit as long as you are not the cause of the accident. If I get one for my motorcycle it will not have speed documentation, Just location and direction of travel I do like the view this camera has at least in the daylight. I have driven at night with it in the car but that has all been recorded over it seems.

Rod.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Your cellphone is going to peg your location in an accident too. Plus all the vehicle parts scattered around the area

might also be an indication of where the accident was. The ECM in the truck will have last speed / RPM info. All of this only

matters is someone gets hurt bad or killed. Remember why we want the camera, it is for those things we can not or

do not want to think of. Arguing about a traffic ticket is most often a bad investment.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Not having the speed indication stored is not going to assure that your speed can't be determined from the video.

I looked on outta the window and I started countin' phone poles, goin' by at the rate of four to the seventh power.

Well I put two and two together, and added twelve and carried five; come up with twenty-two thousand telephone poles an hour.

A good lawyer smelling that nice insurance money scent might well make the effort.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Not having the speed indication stored is not going to assure that your speed can't be determined from the video.

A good lawyer smelling that nice insurance money scent might well make the effort.

Sure but what's jn it for me to make it easy for him? I'll pass on GPS recording.

If I was in the smart car I would agree with what is being said about speed, but in the HDT, I will take it all day long. That is going to be the other guys first claim, that I was hauling ass in that big truck. Their claim will be that you were going too fast and that is why you hit them. If the fault is mine, then it is. I want that witness for when it isn't. Like I said, in the smart he might be right, in the HDT I'll gladly bring along a witness.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived