taking a break from the road

luckyfasteddie

We house sat one time for a cousin of mine while he and his wife were out of the country. Would not consider doing this with a stranger or anyone who wanted my RV in exchange.

We did this as a favor to them. We were not looking for this arrangement.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Sorry, no. I am so happy with this lifestyle that anything that even resembles (housesitting,) my old lifestyle is NOT attractive.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

We are in fact doing just that. We had talked about getting a park model in a park in Mesa for the winter when we have to get off the road and this past fall found one at a very good price, so we are now 2 stage fulltimers - stationary in the PM for the winter (PMs are still classified as RVs) and mobile for the spring, summer & fall.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It would be a lot less expensive for me to allow the company I work for to provide my housing. The apartments were usually very nice with all the amenities. In the early days of my travel nursing it was probably the best for me. Now I wouldn't think of it. My clothes are always where they are supposed to be, I know who slept in my bed last, My refrigerator has what I need in it most of the time and every thing I really need is some where close by. If you are "renting" or exchanging your home for someone else s you will have to go through all those things that I call MOVING and I hate Moving. I like to travel but hate moving. I travel from place to place but don't move there.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The author's of this book, http://www.amazon.com/RVers-Bible-Everything-Choosing-Enjoying/dp/0684822679/, would buy a used RV, live in it until tired of traveling, then buy or rent a place while selling the RV, until tired of sitting still, then get another RV, repeat. I thought they were odd when I read the book years ago, and still do. But to each his or her own.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

Still, I would not let anyone use my RV. This is my home and I really don't like staying in someone else's home either.

So, no, I would not swap. I might consider house sitting on a property with full hook ups where I could keep my coach and stay in it.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Guess I did not make my self clear . Lets say one party has a house in an area with lots do do and the other party has an RV both are looking for a change for a while so they swap units .

Insurance and liability issues quickly come to mind.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I have heard of folks who exchanged use of RVs with someone from Europe or some other part of the world, but that exchange still puts both parties in an RV. I can think of no reason to make an exchange to a house in any location that we could visit without leaving the RV. I think that you don't realize that people who are fulltimers consider the RV to be their house. Moving into a house would be a great deal of work with nothing significant to be gained in doing so, while incurring a great deal of risk by loaning a very expensive RV to someone who probably has no RV experience.

I think that your question has left most of us who live, or have lived in an RV puzzled about what motivation we would have to do this? It would b of no benefit to the RV owner at all.

By the way, let me apologize for our having failed to welcome you to the Escapee forums. We usually are a very friendly bunch and we love to have new folks join it! Welcome!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since we are long timers and have a S&B In Ohio we can take a break anytime we wish to. In general we spend the 6 winter months in a warm climates and the summer months based at our S&B.We do our travel in the summer months so we have the best of both worlds.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived