West Coast Rally in Sparks NV

MrSeas

Howdy Jim,

Well......................I like Chili, I just might have to make this trip after all. :D Is there a limit on bowl size, do you provide asbestos TP? ;)

Dave

Dave:

I forgot, while we are eating chili, the smaller dutch oven is cooking up desert (maybe peach cobbler). If I really get motivated, I may throw some blue cheese garlic bread on the hot coals to go with the chili. And, cook up some elbow pasta to make chili-mac.

Did I mention that the person who eats the most has to do the dishes? :rolleyes:

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave:

I forgot, while we are eating chili, the smaller dutch oven is cooking up desert (maybe peach cobbler). If I really get motivated, I may throw some blue cheese garlic bread on the hot coals to go with the chili. And, cook up some elbow pasta to make chili-mac.

Did I mention that the person who eats the most has to do the dishes? :rolleyes:

Howdy Jim,

Well if your cookin, I can probably be talked into helping with the cleanup, my total lack of culinary skills is embarasing. A good friend of mine is really into the Dutch over cooking, he stacks them on top of each other, has a spacer made from old motorcycle sprockets to keep some distance between the stacked ovens, puts burning charcoal between the ovens and prepares some very good meals in this manner.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Scott and Chad:

Thanks for your efforts. I know that you are putting in a lot of time and effort on this project.

I volunteer to make my world famous (?? :) ) dutch oven chili. The chili is cooked in a dutch oven, over a wood fire (actually the coals after the fire burns down) and simmers for hours.

People will just need to come by my camp, bring a chair, a bowl, a spoon and the drink of their choice.

Jim

I will definitely be in line. Sounds great. :D

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

As an FYI, I posted a link to this forum topic on the Heavy Haulers BoF Facebook page to help get the information out to people who don't follow the forum regularly.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

We are still working on our summer schedule and were tentatively planning on hitting the west coast during this time frame. So I have it penciled in and will try to work it in.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I won't be able to make it that far west for a few more years. Hope the rally takes off and the Dutch Oven cooking remains a part of it. In the Small Iowa town of Fremont my parents attended the annual cook off held there in the summer. When my Dad passed away and I spent most of the summer helping Mom prepare the property for sale I went with her. Her description of getting a little sample of everything that was prepared lead me to think I would have to supplement my lunch after attending. BOY was I wrong. Yes the cups were very small, but the number of them more than enough. I was pleasantly stuffed by the end of the event. I would attend in a minute if I were in the area again.

I worked in Reno for three months many years ago. There are plenty of activities in the area and not all of them include gambling. I don't remember when the wild horse round up is but it was quite a sight to see north of Sparks. There is also Lake Tahoe and it's at it's lowest ever. Take advantage and take a look around at things that haven't been seen in eons and hopefully soon with be again covered with water and not seen for a good long time.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I'm only 60 miles from Sparks, if you want any "local" information just ask.

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

im 30 miles from sparks/reno at the moment and will be here for a while (parent has Alzheimer) and know the

area well. i was born there.

depending on what happens with the parent , will depend on whether i have time to show up but can always

help with local info for sure.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

JTR,

Might have to take ya up on that!

Any chance you might have some free time to come by and say Hi?

Scott

Sure, where are you located - Reno? We make trips to Reno periodically, actually there's a possibility that we'll be going there on Sunday.

Edit: Did you mean during the Rally? We will stop by for sure!

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

Great to have some locals in the group. I called the park yesterday and asked about truck parking and was told even if we as a group were a little longer than the sites they didn't have any issues with that. Most are 70ft pull thru's so I would only be a couple of feet over. :) Now just to convince the boss to take a few more days off of work.

Howdy All,

I just now made my reservation at the RV park, I'll be checking in the afternoon of June 15th, leaving the morning of June 22nd.

I have made contact with a local Uralista who knows the area well and has volunteered to act as tour guide so we will spend the first three days of my stay playing with our Ural's in the area around our camp ground, desert, forest, paved and un-paved roads. After three days of Ural-a-ling I should be pretty well worn out and need a few days to sit down, do some BSing along with chili eating and beer drinking to get rested up for the trip back home.

Looking forward to seeing you folks in June.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Awesome! More the merrier!

Scott

Howdy Scott,

The lady I talked to when I got my reservation didn't give me a price, just charged a 5 buck registration fee, told me she wouldn't have the price of the site until we had TEN reservations as it will take TEN confirmed reservations to get the rally discount. So we need at least three more campers to register to lock in the discount. Come on you slackers, join the party. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Scott,

The lady I talked to when I got my reservation didn't give me a price, just charged a 5 buck registration fee, told me she wouldn't have the price of the site until we had TEN reservations as it will take TEN confirmed reservations to get the rally discount. So we need at least three more campers to register to lock in the discount. Come on you slackers, join the party. :D

Dave

Dave:

I am glad to hear you are in.

I am one of the slackers. I just got to pick up the phone and call her. But, I will.

Jim

Dave:

I am glad to hear you are in.

I am one of the slackers. I just got to pick up the phone and call her. But, I will.

Jim

Howdy Jim,

Well...........................you better show up, ya got me all lathered up when you started talkin about making dutch oven chili. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I am staying at JGW in Redding, CA right now and I met up with someone here who was very intrigued by the HDT idea (not necessarily for himself, but in general). We are going to talk some more later, but I mentioned the rally to him and he may come to get more information.

event.png    

I'm glad we are getting some people committed. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing some different set ups.

event.png    

Turns out that we cannot have open fires. But, I will still cook up some chili. Not to worry, I have plan B and C in place.

Howdy Jim,

By plans "B" and "C", I sure hope your not talking about B3 units in a C ration carton. <_<:lol:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Jim,

By plans "B" and "C", I sure hope your not talking about B3 units in a C ration carton. <_<:lol:

Dave

Plan B is Denison canned chili cooked in the microwave, since we will have full hook ups (I think). Plan C is Denison chili cooked on the RV stove, inside the trailer.

I usually boon dock in the middle of the desert. So, I never run into a situation where I cannot have a campfire!

I suppose I could go to the military surplus store and buy some of those "meals in a box" (MRE's) with the chemical heater built into the box, for Plan D. LOL.

Plan B is Denison canned chili cooked in the microwave, since we will have full hook ups (I think). Plan C is Denison chili cooked on the RV stove, inside the trailer.

I usually boon dock in the middle of the desert. So, I never run into a situation where I cannot have a campfire!

I suppose I could go to the military surplus store and buy some of those "meals in a box" (MRE's) with the chemical heater built into the box, for Plan D. LOL.

Howdy Jim,

When it comes to chili in a can, the best I have found so far is "Nalley Jalapeno Hot". However, I have only found it to be sold up here in the Nor-Wet, I always have a bunch of it stored in the trailer, open a can, toss in a cut up hot sausage, throw it in the microwave for two minutes and it makes a good, quick, HOT meal. :)

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived