Wire Cable Size From Jackalopee to RV Plug

QLStar

There seems to be several options available for the cable for the RV Plug. There is 14/6 or 2/10, 1/12/4/14 and a couple of other option that I have found on the internet. Of course you can purchase the same wire that is on the tractor now as well. What do you all use or recommend?

2007 Volvo VNL 670, Cummins ISX 450. Auto, APU. "PoTater"

2013 Landmark San Antonio, 41'

idahopotater@gmail.com

The brake wire (Blue) and the Ground (White) should be #10. The +12v (Black) can be larger #10/#12 to help current flow to the trailer. The rest #14 is fine.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The place where I live sells 7-wire cable by the foot. It is 1-10 ga (white) and 6-12's.

97775_primary.jpg

I have also seen cable that is 1-10, 1-12 and 5 -14's. I'm sure there is some bigger out there but those are the most common 7-wire cables I have seen.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Here's what you need to make truck, Jackalopee andRV "happy" http://www.waytekwire.com/products?pSearch=WT702

With that cable I assume the 12ga blue is sufficient for the brake controller. If that is the case then I will source some here locally. Thanks for the input. I found a great place to mount the Jackalopee and want to get started on the wiring. Any preference for the truck side RV Plug Connector?

2007 Volvo VNL 670, Cummins ISX 450. Auto, APU. "PoTater"

2013 Landmark San Antonio, 41'

idahopotater@gmail.com

This cable seems to be designed for the RV industry with blue being the heavier gauge wire for brakes. 12 gauge is sufficient, although 10 would have been better to reduce voltage drop.

Remember that in most applications the brake controller is not trying to lock the brakes up with the maximum current. The brake magnets are 3 ohms each therefore each can pull maximum current of 4 amps in a 12 Volt automotive system. Therefore, 2 axles are 16 amps max and 3 axles are 24 amps max. Rough rule of thumb is, you need 12 gauge for 20 amps and 10 gauge for 30 amps. I doubt there is an electric brake controller out there that is capable of producing (and controlling) more than 15-18 amps of current (if they claim otherwise they are lying), so 12 gauge is OK.

Truck side connector http://www.waytekwire.com/item/35675/TRAILER-CONNECTOR-7-WAY-PLUG/

Archived