Class A

Bob & Cindy

Hello,

We have just ordered an Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel

To pull it, we will order a 2016 F350 Diesel Dually when they become available.

We plan to move our domicile from Washington to Texas.

In reading here I see that if the GVWR is over 26000 we will need CDL's

5th wheel GVWR is 15700

Truck GVWR is 14000

total = 29700

Am I understanding this correctly?

What are the challenges in getting a class A

Does a class A have any costs associated with it? Insurance?

Thank You for your time,

Bob

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you and look forward to you joining the club as well as becoming Texans! For current information on the driver's license requirements in TX I suggest that you read through the Texas DPS license classifications information. You won't need the CDL license but a class A(non CDL) Since there are many others on the forum who have those and I do not, I'll leave it to them to give you the details, since my knowledge mostly comes from them, since my RV doesn't require one. :)

One other thing which I believe that you will find to be helpful is to download a copy of the free booklet, How to Become A Real Texan from the Escapees RV Club website.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

One thing I will say that I hope you never need to know. IF you have a CDL in Texas and you do get a ticket for some moving violations like speeding you will NOT be able to take a defensive driving to remediate the ticket. I don't know if that applies in other states.

Avoid getting the CDL (Commercial Drivers License) unless you are going to be driving a commercial vehicle, your RV will not require one, just as others have said the Class A licence.

Getting your Class A in Livingston seems like a decent idea as the folks there understand them and have a lot of experience. Getting one elsewhere, well the experience of the local office varies as will your experience with them.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree that Livingston can be a good place to do the license. Like anywhere it can depend on how knowledgeable, effective , and busy any location is. In case you don't pass everything the first time how easy will be to return to retake. Some of the smaller more rural offices will have more limited times for the driving portion if you have to do it but conversly it may still be way easier than somewhere like Dallas where they are often swamped.

Pay attention to getting your permanent copy in the mail. Only ever happened 1 time but I renewed in Livingston once and got the temp. paperwork to show with my old license with a corner cut off and for some reason my replacement was not issued and the temp. paperwork expired and I was already out of state. I had a CDL at that time and I was concerned that it might have gone to the wrong person and if they used it and got citations I was not aware of I could end up with a warrent for arrest. It was a headache getting it reissued from out of state and didn't find out until 6 or so months later when I came back to the state that it had not been reissued but never did find out why. I did find out that if it is returned from your mail address it is supposed to be destroyed immediatly and I don't know if they try to give you notice. Maybe they think you croaked.

Welcome! I think you'll find this Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator very useful. You enter actual weights, this online calculator does the rest to properly and safely match a 5er and truck.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks to all,

It's a load off our minds knowing a CDL isn't required. After all we are supposed to be having fun!

Bob

But I believe you will need to get a Class A non-CDL license. Be sure to read through the Texas DOT link Kirk provided.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

But I believe you will need to get a Class A non-CDL license. Be sure to read through the Texas DOT link Kirk provided.

That would influence my decision on what I buy, interesting.

YoungFulltimers.com is dedicated to informing non-retired RVers who live on the road. This news-focused online publication should appeal to fulltimers of all ages.

That would influence my decision on what I buy, interesting.

Why?

A Texas Class A non-CDL driver's license isn't difficult to get. It requires a written test plus a driving test. I passed both in a town that required parallel parking with the fifth wheel attached, so if *I* can pass the test after only a brief lesson in how to back up a fifth wheel (which I had never done up to that point), anyone can pass it!

On the other hand, if you have a motorhome with a GVWR of 26,001 or more, you'll need a Class B non-CDL driver's license (as long as anything you're pulling weighs less than 10,000#...if more, you'll need to get the Class A non-CDL license).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I agree with Linda, why let something as simple as a drivers license determine what you buy? Perhaps you are one of those people who over analyze and over think things. Don't ...life is not that complicated...just do it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 3 weeks later...

In a couple weeks I hope to be in Livingston making the move from Illinois to TX. I have been studying the CDL Driving Manual for both IL and TX. The manuals are similar and two years ago I took the Non CDL Class A in Illinois and it was similar to car but with a longer wider vehicle but no parallel parking in IL. The big thing is Safety dealing your vehicle type, I'm hoping TX has a similar abbreviated written and Road Test.

My Illinois Driving test hard part was turning around by pulling an alley and backing out with some blind sight lines. Like all driving test a clean vehicle helps with demonstrates safety lights & such. Be prepared to answer a few odd questions about your vehicle operation.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

ms60ocb, If you have the IL class A won't TX just accept it and issue your licence without any further tests?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The manuals are similar and two years ago I took the Non CDL Class A in Illinois and it was similar to car but with a longer wider vehicle but no parallel parking in IL.

Not all places in Texas require you to parallel park in order to get a non-CDL Class A or B driver's license...Livingston doesn't. However, we took our tests in Van Horn and they did require it (we were on our way to Livingston to take the tests, but there were tornadoes happening between us and Livingston, so we decided not to continue our trek across Texas).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Why is this in Class A?????

Its not, its in the Beginner area and I'm guessing the reference to Class A is a driver's license, not type of rig as he obviously has a 5'er. Perhaps a less than accurate topic title. More accurate would have been Class A Drivers License.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived