Getting FT heebie-jeebies!

I think I need a little 'pep' talk. The house is going on the market Sunday. Today we put a deposit on a used 5th wheel and still don't have our tow vehicle. I'm hoping that will be solved at the Ford dealer tomorrow. I'm still trying to figure out Internet and TV for the road. My husband is freaking out because he wants auto leveling jacks and the dealer the 5er is at now, is pushing hard for their electric and he wants hydraulic. We've been selling a lot of our things now. Tonight he sold about 80% of his tools so he's having withdrawals and anxiety.

Tell me it will get better! Do all pre FTers go through this?

Thanks,

Christine

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

I know what you are feeling. We sold everything that didn't fit into a 12' cargo trailer, including two houses. I wasn't sure about selling the tools either.

We have lived in our MH since the first of Sept, 2014 and have been houseless since 12/26/14. It is liberating! It is new and exciting, but I expect to enjoy the lifestyle for many years to come.

As Kirk said, a jump into the unknown. Don't worry. You will anyway but as you get comfortable with your new life it will subside. We're coming up on our fifth year and still enjoy every minute and although I planned for ten years before, when the time came I had my worries.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

IIRC , a bit of apprehension was there for a couple minutes . I do know the FT 'switch' was welcome , as it still is about 4 years later .

The folks we co-hosted with last Summer had a TT with electric levelers . They told us they could 'feel' the dog run across the room , not to mention each other walking .

They bought a different trailer that had manual levelers . Problem solved .

Goes around , comes around .

i remember what you are going though, but I can assure you that just a few short months down the road you will have that moment of "decompression". You will be sitting under the awning with no cast in stone plans for tomorrow... look over at each other and laugh... WHY didn't we do this sooner! :D

We started full-timing in Dec. 2013. Was hard getting rid of all the excess household items and a lot of my handyman stuff. Kept quite a few tools but streamlined them down a little. It works.....you just have to adjust.

Also.....we have electric jacks and have never had any problems.......once the rear jacks are down.....it makes no difference if they are electric or hydraulic.

87ecf2fa36fc1b1.jpg

Selling tools was hard for my husband but he did it. As a matter of fact, he sold some he "shouldn't have". Nothing major but he had to buy some when we got on the road and he needed something he didn't have. You just need to get to a peaceful place with all of this. You will have great times, see wonderful things, meet wonderful people and have a simpler life. If you have sold something you find you really need, you grumble a bit and buy it again.

Shirley & Neil
F350 and 2015 Open Range Light 318RLS
Winston, 2008 Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Nellie, 2010 Scottish Terrier

We planned to fulltime for 20 years and did so for 11 years from 2001 to 2012 but health issues lead us to part time and we spend about 7 mo's a year on the road. It was quite a paradigm shift even though we had been planning and preparing for many years. After working for almost 30 years it was so different not having to be any place but choosing to be somewhere. We started in a 30ft fiver so really DOWNSIZED and it did take a little getting use to but we are always outside since we can follow the sun so our backyard is always HUGE. We have met a lot of great friends on the road, and are most thankful for the friend that referred us to the Escapees RV Club when he heard about our desire to eventually go fulltime. With so many like minded travelers here we have received great advice and learned much over the years from the experiences of others on the SKP forum.

You mentioned levelers. Our fiver is a 2003 and in 2004 we had Big Foot Levelers installed after market in Tucson, AZ. The installer, Major Wingfield, is now in Yuma, http://familymotorcoachrvmarketplace.com/Listing/Company/Towing__Transport/Jacks__Levelers/1174028 . The only problem we have ever had with them was when our batteries were low. DH bless his heart tries to get blood out of a turnip sometimes and instead of replacing the coach batteries on schedule a couple times put it off and there wasn't enough umph to run the levelers. But a quick trip to Costco (we just happened to be near one both times it happened) for new and we were good to go. The tech at Big Foot home office has always been very helpful with any questions we had. If you are on the east coast their is an installer in Florida, can't remember where just remember when we were in Sarasota FL a fellow R Vwith the same fiver as ours drove somewhere a couple hours away had them installed and returned the next day also very happy with his new levelers.

Hang in there Gypsy. When feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I looked at your previous posts, and it seems you and your husband have made informed and rational decisions on the road to this new lifestyle. Right now, though, you are in the middle of the logistical, practical, and emotional nightmare of closing a very big door (sale of home, shedding of cherished belongings) and opening one that leads into a cavernous unknown--no matter how educated you get ahead of time, you really don't know what it's going to be like until you get out there. Trust yourselves and your instincts. Breathe. And dig back in. Meanwhile, you sure are lucky you found this forum that has so many experts on it, especially for all those technical questions! Enjoy! (And when you are freaking out, lean on each other and your support network and know that this too soon will pass.)

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

Thanks everyone!!! I read all your comments to my husband this morning and we laughed.

Your encouragement helps. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you when we begin our new life!

I'm with you Gypsy, we are on the two year plan to retire and go full-time and the list of things to accomplish is almost overwhelming. I like your idea of putting everything you want to use in the 5er in a utility trailer. We have stuff to go in storage, now stuff in utility trailer and stuff to sell or give away. Our biggest issue is that we need to sell the s&b before we can buy 5er and TV since we want to pay cash and don't want to be stuck with a house that didn't sell before we have to start making payments on the new stuff waiting for the s&b to sell. Darn economy in CA has just started back up so I can get my money back on what I paid for the house, I lost over $100,000 on the house over the last few years. I figure that in two years the housing prices will get back where they were and perhaps a bit more and we can 'hit the road' out of CA before the bullet train boondoggle causes taxes to go up even further.

I'm with you Gypsy, we are on the two year plan to retire and go full-time and the list of things to accomplish is almost overwhelming. I like your idea of putting everything you want to use in the 5er in a utility trailer. We have stuff to go in storage, now stuff in utility trailer and stuff to sell or give away. Our biggest issue is that we need to sell the s&b before we can buy 5er and TV since we want to pay cash and don't want to be stuck with a house that didn't sell before we have to start making payments on the new stuff waiting for the s&b to sell. Darn economy in CA has just started back up so I can get my money back on what I paid for the house, I lost over $100,000 on the house over the last few years. I figure that in two years the housing prices will get back where they were and perhaps a bit more and we can 'hit the road' out of CA before the bullet train boondoggle causes taxes to go up even further.

Ah yes....the bullet train. We left Acton, CA about 3 years ago and that was just starting to be an issue. We tried a couple towns in Oregon then Idaho and still just don't feel 'home' anywhere. That's another reason to RV it. When we sell the house in Idaho, I'm not sure I'd ever want a house again, at least not a big one. Too much work, too much stuff, etc. Plus we've been working on the house and not really enjoying life. I figure my birthdays have yet to start counting backwards so I'd better get to living before I'm a toothless gray hair wrinkled mess siting on the porch peeing in my Depends!

Gypsy, this is why I love this forum, and thanks for expressing your fears. I'm already spazzing and we have a year yet, but the reality is starting to hit, and we're second guessing, yet we know this is the right thing to do and we're anxious to go. My problem is getting over the guilt I have because 2/3 of our furniture was made by my dad and I need to know it is staying in our family. I don't really care about the rest....just that. I hope the rest goes smoothly for you, but it sounds like you're on your way and I'm kind of jealous! Good luck on the house and hope it goes quickly for you too! I'm sure you're really excited even though the unexpected fear is there.

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

Are you really stuck on a Ford? That would be my last choice for what its worth. The best combo is GM's Duramax, Allison combo. Then a Dodge with the Cummins engine then a Ford. That is me from my personal experience. Whatever truck you end up buying make sure it is more truck than you need and that it has good engine braking.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Yea, we bought a Ford. We can't afford the initial outlay for a diesel nor the continued diesel fuel costs plus the increased cost of maintenance. We had a Ford diesel before. We bought the F250 4x4, gas motor with 4.30 gears. It also has a Firestone air bag towing system on it, plus a Programmer (that I've used on many previous vehicles). I checked and checked and rechecked and it will tow what we need. Dodge wouldn't deal and I'm not a Chevy fan. Kindof made it easy. The truck is being built and we won't have it for 8-12 weeks.

Trammell Crow
There is as much risk in doing nothing as in doing something.

The step you are about to take is huge—no denying that. But life on the other side is AMAZING! Sure, you'll encounter difficulties but working them out as a team strengthens your bond.

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

I gave my tools to my son...I retained visitation rights !

Hi All

We did the same thing with those things we really did not want to sell or give to Goodwill.

We visit them and enjoy them with our kids and grandkids.

At first we had a large storage unit, then a medium one and finally a small one when we finally got rid of everything many years ago and you know we do not really miss all that "stuff".

Dave O

Do all fulltimers go through this? Uh no, we were so fed up and stressed out that when I read an article in Trailer Life in 2005 about workamping, my DH was on board immediately. It took us about 9 months to get out of our jobs, sell the house and hit the road. That was on March 9, 2006, all we felt was relief when we pulled away from the first new house we ever owned, now sold. We were not old enough for any retirement income. It's been great. Try not to think about all the stuff you are getting rid of, think of all the great experiences you are going to have. Our idea was to spend more quality time with family all over the US instead of those hurried vacations. We've been able to spend 9 months helping the daughter with newborn triplets, staying 3 summers in MT when DH's 47 year old sister passed away from cancer and visiting my elderly father twice a year for more than a few days. We volunteered as park hosts for the majority of the year for the first 3 years, then volunteered only the winters. We've met people from all over the world, made new friends and would not change a thing. Look forward. Yes, there are going to be bumps in the road, a flat tire on a 2 lane highway with practically no shoulder in the middle of NV with no cel service, almost running out of fuel because you were distracted by an argument, almost turning over the 5'r because the navigator (me) went down a questionable road. We are grateful for our life and hope to have many more years on the road.

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

The anxiety will pass, just give some time. You are going through a lot of change right now and this is normal. It took us many months to come to the conclusion that all our stuff was just that, stuff and the emotional attachment has faded. We did keep a subset of our stuff and it's in storage. From time to time we kinda of miss our things, but not enough to move back to a S&B home. We have also noticed that when we visit a friend at their home we do get a bit home sick for a few minutes then realize how great our lives are now. We have everything we need in our coach including space and we're good with that.

When we first went FT we agreed to give it a year and then decide what to do at that time. At the one year mark we made a few adjustments on how we were doing things and continue to do so all the time. One of the greatest things about full timing is that you can change your routine and location when ever you want. We have also found that we plan much farther ahead then we ever imagined. The plans are set in Jello, but we kinda make our travel plans about a year or more in advance. And even when we have planned way ahead we have changed plans as circumstances change. Life is Good and you will get to feeling that very soon. Now, take a deep breath and relax.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

I had thought my biggest problem would be selling my condo, so I put it up for sale three months before I retired and planned to leave. It sold within five day, and then I started to panic about having a place to live. It all worked out, even moving in 99 degree temperature and a really, really grumpy son helping me with the move.

That was almost three years ago. Today, it is warm and sunny. I sat on a beach and then on a boardwalk in Florida watching some lizards watching me. I am headed out to buy some fresh-squeezed OJ, and do more exploring. Last night I got involved in planning my travels next summer and fall to New England and the Canadian Maritimes.

Life is good and I continue to love this life! All the stress will pass.

Archived