Equal-i-zer Hitch bar receiver failure

wedgar

Was getting ready to head south today, and brought my travel trailer from my camp ground to my house to packup and noticed that my left torsion bar was not attached to the hitch and the trailer tongue. It was attached when I hooked the trailer up to the truck at the campground earlier today.

The Equal-i-zer unit was installed by the dealer this past October.

I'm attaching a photo of the failed hitch receiver.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm just glad I found it before heading out.

post-44438-0-09633600-1422493245_thumb.jpg

That is something. Not me but I'm waiting to hear if anyone else has. I hope you didn't have any other damage.

I checked and did not see any other damage. Just was out on Equal-i-zer's site to see if I could get any other information and didn't see anything related to it.

Thanks!

- Bill

Wedgar - At one time several years ago I used an Equal-i-zer hitch just like yours and experienced some cracking. I think it was in the same area as your break, but not positive. I took photographs and communicated with Equal-i-zer. The sent me two new sockets at no charge. I'm thinking that if they are subject to cracking under stress then add cold temperatures and you have what is called embrittlement cracking. I would definitely give the dealer and manufacturer a call. Let us know the outcome .

Good Luck

Don

Wedgar - At one time several years ago I used an Equal-i-zer hitch just like yours and experienced some cracking. I think it was in the same area as your break, but not positive. I took photographs and communicated with Equal-i-zer. The sent me two new sockets at no charge. I'm thinking that if they are subject to cracking under stress then add cold temperatures and you have what is called embrittlement cracking. I would definitely give the dealer and manufacturer a call. Let us know the outcome .

Good Luck

Don

Don,

Thanks for your comments!

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do so I can head south before the snow flies some more. :)

Will update this when I get more feedback.

- Bill

I've been using an Equal-i-zer for about 10 years. I've had a few problems with the hitch over the years but never this problem. I have found that the company is very good about standing behind the product with free replacement parts for any failures. Please let us know what they have to say about this part failure.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

I've been using an Equal-i-zer for about 10 years. I've had a few problems with the hitch over the years but never this problem. I have found that the company is very good about standing behind the product with free replacement parts for any failures. Please let us know what they have to say about this part failure.

---ron

Ron,

Thanks for your comments! Good to know you've had excellent experience with the hitch. I was impressed with Equil-i-zer's information before I bought my RV and hitch.

- Bill

Yes, I have had this problem! It could be the trailer ball. They call for a specific ball (one they sell). If the shank on the ball is too long, that broken part you see contacts it as you make a tight turn. Something has to give and it's not going to be the shank. Look in there and see how far down the shank extends. Rather than get a new ball, I placed a lock washer under the ball to raise it up about 3/16".

Was getting ready to head south today, and brought my travel trailer from my camp ground to my house to packup and noticed that my left torsion bar was not attached to the hitch and the trailer tongue. It was attached when I hooked the trailer up to the truck at the campground earlier today.

The Equal-i-zer unit was installed by the dealer this past October.

I'm attaching a photo of the failed hitch receiver.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm just glad I found it before heading out.

attachicon.gifBad-Receiver.jpg

Update:

Camping World called Equal-i-zer and Equal-i-zer authorized a warranty replacement of the sockets and the missing spring bar.

I have the repaired hitch back and look forward to staying my journey tomorrow.

Many thanks for the comments - they were extremely helpful and timely!

Bill

Yes, I have had this problem! It could be the trailer ball. They call for a specific ball (one they sell). If the shank on the ball is too long, that broken part you see contacts it as you make a tight turn. Something has to give and it's not going to be the shank. Look in there and see how far down the shank extends. Rather than get a new ball, I placed a lock washer under the ball to raise it up about 3/16".

I will have to check this out on my hitch.

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived