single forward/mid/back

drumtwister

Yes please do. Seems like its rare to find a 14k front axle. So you happy with the 630. What year? Likes/dislikes. Which engine do ya have? Mpg?

Hi Drum,

My WB is 218" and as I said I', singled short. I did not shorten the frame rails because at the time this was happening I was very new and green at this and I was not sure exactly what was going to happen so I left them alone and built a wooden bed to start traveling. When I got the Smart there was lots of room between the hitch and the sleeper and I could not see changing it then so we just had the bed built to the length of the original frame and called it good. It turned out fine and gave extra room for bigger boxes behind the axle. My boxes were originally sized to fit my golf clubs and everything else was just gravy. The rear boxes have a tunnel between them so the Smart ramps are stored inside.

We have been happy with the 630. It is a 2004 and had 684,000 miles when we bought it. It now has 745,000 and was an everyday driver for the first 2 1/2 years. We have the 12 liter engine and the Freedomline transmission. We have had not trouble with the trans (except losing a voltage doubler) and only normal things with the engine (starter, Exhaust manifold(broken a bolt and warped the manifold)). We are getting 8.2 MPG.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Jim,

If you go to a dealer or call the national help line with your VIN they should be able to send you a build sheet on your truck.

Or try emailing this guy at Volvo. He sent mine. Build sheet is nice info to have in your files. Has all the particulars.

ryan.sweetser@volvo.com

THANKS - great tidbit of info. I will email him.

We are still tandem as well. In the beginning, I couldn't decide what length I wanted, and so just procrastinated. It's worked out fine for us, but we don't full-time, and storage isn't an issue. With the few miles we average, fuel savings would never pay the cost to single.

Plus, I still have the option to return to commercial if need be. 14 bolts and the bed comes off, slip the old commercial fifth plate on and pay $50 to re-title as truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Our truck is tandem. We carry a RZR and a Subaru Forester. The toolboxes and 100 gallon fresh and waste water add more weight. We can overload a single axle. The 4 extra tires is the only significant draw back we can find. We don't drive enough miles that a little better fuel economy would make much of a difference. We are usually out west and both axles are air lockers for a little more traction for the back roads.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We are looking at a configuration that is really close to overloading a single rear axle - which then limits future options for a more giant trailer etc. We are kind of thinking our annual distance driven might not amount to enough fuel savings vs cost to single / modify a tandem drive ...

I do read the odd post where HDT / 5th wheel trailer people get turned away from campgrounds because they have a "big heavy truck" with 11,500 lbs on the steer axle and low weights on the drives while a 14,800lb front and tandem rear coach checks in and scuffs its way into a site... but that isn't too much of a concern where we go either I don't think...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Geeze how much pin weight and what else are you putting on the truck bed

sketching out a 10 to 12 ft insulated van with a hot tub, 40ft toyhauler 5th wheel on the hitch. The tub will hold 4.7 cubic meters of water = 4700 litres = 4700 kg = 10,400lbs +/-.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Here is a early sheet on a VNL730. We changed the WB to 236" and OH to 80". My ET hitch is mounted at the end of the rails.

VNL%2520730%2520Dimensions.jpg

I'm curious....where did you get this pic and dimensions? Was is part of you ordering process?

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

sketching out a 10 to 12 ft insulated van with a hot tub, 40ft toyhauler 5th wheel on the hitch. The tub will hold 4.7 cubic meters of water = 4700 litres = 4700 kg = 10,400lbs +/-.

You would not be running with water in the tub, so I would assume you would not count that.

My singled truck is pretty heavy - my rear axle is about maxed out. I have a large drom, large side boxes, etc. all full of heavy tools. I carry a smart with full fuel on it. I tend to run my truck with near full fuel. ANd I have around 7,000 lbs pin weight. I'm surprised you are exceeding a single axle, since a small van body is not all that heavy. But if in doubt I'd for sure stay tandem. There is no real issue with it. The few campgrounds that might question it would question the truck in any configuration, IMO. That has happened to me ONE TIME in 13 years fulltime with the tractor.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived