A KIND OF POLE QUESTION TO FULL TIMERS ONLY!

ThePals

I guess what I was looking for were folks a little more senior like Dutch and Di.

Most of you have been on the road for awhile and for the younger if in a year it isn't you.... like BrianT said, what is the back out plan.

Back out plans are harder and harder in my opinion the older you are.

We are similar to Dutch in Di that we have a big age gap. I being 58 and hubby being 75. Health is in good condition. If anything we are probably a little out of shape as I have had in the last 3 years 2 knee very successful knee replacements and hubby having one.

But there is always the reservation at this age (and yes I know, at any age, no one knows tomorrow). We wanted to do this years ago but various things sat in the way or prolonged it. We had at one point given up on it because our youngest son had just gotten a job and it was gonna take a few years for him to make his way back out the door. He had been in Florida working when he needed to come back and live with us. Our house was way to small for 3 of us to dance together for 2-3 years, so we decided to buy a bigger house and figured in 3 years we could sell it and see what we wanted to do then. Well as it goes....living for your kids is always the part where you can get kicked in the teeth, thought I love them to the moon and back. We bought a 2400sf 5 bedroom house (why that big, cause anything smaller was not cheaper, it was this house because we liked the area, the models but mostly the price, The man really wanted out, I think he was nearing falling default on it) Anyhow, we bought it and EVERYONE, realtor, appraiser, mortgage broker, even our accountant said in 2-3 years you can sell it no problem and make money. Great, it fits the plan.....WELL, not so much.....see son got offered a big promo within the company and of course took it. Which as the saying goes, YOU CAN'T TELL KIDS ANYTHING! So now that he was making bigger bucks, he and a friend decided to get their own place.

So we bought this in July of 2014 and here we are. So we have to wait some to at least be able to sell and break even. Thus why we are looking at getting our MH in a year or 18 months. Which will make us around 60 and 77.

Leads me to another question that maybe someone has a thought on. I have found that asking around at lenders....most of them to finance an RV want you to have either investments or a home. That kind of puts one in a round corner. I don't need to sell the house for the money to put down on the MH but I don't want to have to make payments on both. If I buy the MH when we are ready and put the house up for sale.....just because most think so, how do I know how long it will take to sell it. We have some reserves we can use to make payments on both if we had to but I don't know if it would carry us far enough.

Did anyone else kind of find themselves in this situation and what did you do, if I may ask.

We don't have enough to pay for the RV cash and I don't know if it would work if we waited till we had a as close to sure shot buyer as once can get and before the house closes buy the MH? Would/Could that work.

Sorry for the ramble guys, I tend to think people won't understand me and give more information that is needed. I am also a little on the stressed side right now cause tomorrow morning I am having a EDG scope done and never had one so I am a little anxious....but ready escapes forum takes my mind off of it alot because it lets me read other peoples goods and dream for now!

Thanks all....... your help is so appreciated and helpful. Don't stop now!! lol

1. 71

2. 70

3. Yes, Yes and Yes again

4. Class A motor home (see signature)

5. We are full time volunteers, building churches and working at Christian Conference centers and camps. So we move as necessary except we spend January thru March in Leesburg, FL

Hope this helps. We love our lifestyle working for our God.

Alabama/Tennessee Campers On Mission

2002 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
2006 Honda CR-V, Air Force One, Blue OX tow bar

1) 74

2) 72

3) Probably not. Not going to stop till we have to hang up the keys, But it would be hard to start from scratch at our age.

4) Living in our Motorhome and we have been living in a MH since 1996 (sold Sticks&bricks) and been totally traveling since 2002.

5) Move around.

Dave O

We are somewhere in the middle of all that. As you can see there are thousands and thousands of ways to do it. They difference between us and the many people that we run across, is that WE like the people that have answered TOOK THE STEP.

We run across many people, that, when we tell them what we do, say, "OH! I would really love to do that, BUT........"

I guess you can say that we all conquered the BUT.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

While I'm not a full timer, I call my self a "Long Timer" since I usually do trips over 3 months; the last was 305 days.

I'm 70, and travel solo. While I have had extensive tent camping experience, I didn't purchase my travel trailer until I was 65. Finally, I prefer to move around. The longest I've stayed anywhere was a month along the Colorado River in Arizona during the winter. Usually I spend a couple of days at a location, exploring things to photograph, etc.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

1 60

2 58

3 yes, would start right now, started in 2003 full timing.

4 2-5th wheels, one truck, Mobile Suite, (doesn't move much), Jayco 27 ft, (used as a travel rig)

5 both, mainly stay south in winter, (mostly Arizona own two lots there), use travel rig to go North in summer months

Have RVed(visited) all 48 lower States. all Canadian Provinces, Alaska, some of Mexico, many places want to return to, so are moving more this coming year(2015) Moved less as the cost of living increased, but out look now is better and have decided to travel again.

1) 74

2) 72

3) Probably not. Not going to stop till we have to hang up the keys, But it would be hard to start from scratch at our age.

4) Living in our Motorhome and we have been living in a MH since 1996 (sold Sticks&bricks) and been totally traveling since 2002.

5) Move around.

Dave O

Dave just curious as to why you feel it would be hard to start from scratch at your age? Maybe we would have the same obstacles, not that I am looking for any but I am trying to have all my t-s crossed and i-s dotted. So I am compiling all the info. Cause as I had said before DH will be 76 or 77 by the time we make the move.

Sure appreciate any help.

1. I turn 70 in June.

2. N/A. Currently single.

3. Just moved out of my house and bought my first RV, so my answer is obviously a resounding: "Yes!".

4. MH

5. Moving: exploring the Pacific NW, Alaska (again!), the Yukon and NW Territories (again!) and this year: Newfoundland & Labrador. Woo-hoo!

BTW, loved Kirk's optimistic and "right on" post. Well said, Kirk!

1: 71

2: 63 plus her twin sister who by some strange coincidence is also 63.

3: We started full timing 7 months ago. Never RVed before - just up and sold everything and hit the road cold turkey. Real nice to be free of the house and 50 billion possesions that we really didn't need.

"If it don't fit in the RV, we don't need it, even if we need it!"

4: 43' 5th wheel

5: We are exploring all over North America (US and Canada) as the mood and weather takes us. Canadian Maritime provinces and Quebec this Spring and Summer. South and warm in winter tho'.

Archived