The best computer security advice you'll get

RV_

Many times I see consumer computer security articles and I cringe and expect more of the passwords and anti virus/malware/adware/spamware/ransomware/threatware/underware assertions that just don't seem to get it.

This article covers it all well and in a relatively short, concise article. If you know it all you can skip this but if you think you could use some really great advice you can understand, this is a must read.

Excerpt:

"The world is awash in bad security advice that distracts from addressing the real threats. Here's what you really need to know

I couldn't put my finger on what was nagging at me the last few months. When I finally sorted it out, it was the realization that most computer security advice is an absolute waste of time -- and most of what isn't is barely useful.

Even I'm guilty. Statements I've spouted in the past, like using long and complex passwords or hardening your computer system, don't really deliver much value. Disable weak password hashes? That was good advice 15 years ago. Use an up-to-date antivirus program? If that worked, we would have solved the problem decades ago.

When I look at the data of how people and computers are compromised, those previous recommendations didn't effectively address the attack vectors that make malicious hackers so successful. Instead of giving you dozens to hundreds of truly ineffective recommendations, I'm going to give you a few basic defenses that really work.

Forget every past computer security advice you've ever read -- even from me. This is the real deal. Everything else is wasted cycles."

He goes on to cover all you ever wanted to know about keeping your digital intercourse with the world safer, but were afraid to ask!

Where? Here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2871131/security/the-best-computer-security-advice-youll-get.html?phint=newt%3Dinfoworld_enterprise_data_explosion&phint=idg_eid%3D6aa01e18b29f7b6f9149f611f8eac228#tk.IFWNLE__2015-01-26

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Good article. It is aimed at organizations, but there are ideas there that should stimulate thinking in any internet user.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Having multiple emails was omitted.

One email for friends.

One for forums and online activity.

One for financials.

One for general contacts; the pharmacist, the auto dealership, Camping World, etc. - all of which one does not know how good their security is.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

It can be fun to have a dedicated address for anyone you deal with to send e-mail to, as soon as they leak it to the world you'll start getting spam on it and can yell at them for the leak. Then dump it to your spam folder and assign them a new address, I just add a suffix of -01 to first time leakers and bump it as needed.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived