MASA - Medical Air Service Association

Another interesting footnote, at last night's presentation, there were approx 70 people who attended, some were there just for the free dinner but when the crowd was asked who their were already members, more than half raised their hands. We sat next to a member who simply said, "it was the best investment he ever made". I finished reading over the fine print..nothing jumps out at me. I suppose, when I get back home, I could photo copy the agreement and send that? Let me know if that would help(after all your an asset now, a whole 50.00 to me Woo Hoo!!!! ) just kidding :D

I did find a note about flights, it could be private or common carriers. I do know something that was emphasized, that being Skymed's "critical" condition to cause an event whereas MASA is "serious" medical condition to trigger an event. I'm sure its not for everybody but from my stand point, it relieves some of the "what If's" when something bad happens( this is from medical transport, to pet transport, getting your RV back home....etc etc).

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

Not that I have anything specific to say about either company, but I get my back up when a term like "underwriters" is used as a pejorative. Any company that is in the insurance business (and that's what this is regardless of whether technically it is or it isn't) has to use underwriters of some form to determine whether or not a claim is payable. Telling a group of relatively unsophisticated snowbirds that its competitor is "bad" because it employs "underwriters" is a way of using loaded words to create mental judgements without crossing the line to libel. IMHO it is a shady business practice. Combining that with not providing detailed terms and conditions until after you sign creates a very negative mental judgement on my part.

I'll continue to research this and I intend to call SkyMed to ask why they think they are superior to MASA, but so far I have found nothing about either company to make me think one provides a better service than the other. IMHO providing a "lifetime" option to a group of snowbirds whose average age is probably 65-70 is a meaningless differentiation with respect to a company that offers a 5 year plan. The statistical likelihood of any of its clients using its plans for much more than 5 years is low enough that it's not a costly proposition to take the chance.

I'm not buying from either of these outfits until I better understand what I would get for my money.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Yep, I'd agree with you on most points but I will say I have little tolerance for a Company, whether it be a car dealership or an Insurance Company, who tells me I'm only going to get that Great Price if I sign up today. High Pressure as in "Time Share" deals just don't float my boat and my experience so far is that "SkyMed" is the one who uses this tactic! Do your due diligence, I feel I have and I choose MASA. Happy Travels :) Oh the wife and I are in our infancy retirement wise so a "Lifetime" contract works for us, I hope to be on the road, at least part time, for the next 10-15 years.

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

Archived