Cell Phone Spam

I started getting them in the last 3 weeks. I'm also on the do not call list.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've received such calls, many of them "computer" calls, not real live people. If I get a real live person, I'll tell them to take my phone number off their call list. If it's a computer call, once I realize it's a computer talking, I hang up. If I start getting several calls from the same number, I'll put it in my contacts under "Do Not Answer." That way, I only have to glance at the phone to see if it's one of my do not answer calls. Fortunately, most of these types of calls don't leave a voice message.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We discovered one big source of spam cell calls was our voter's registration, phone number was optional so we re-registered without it. Any time giving your cell number to a public database is optional you should really consider not giving it out. Maybe to private ones too given Target, Home Depot and the rest of the leakers.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Guest Pensauncola

Quite a bit, just recently. You can block calls through Verizon, don't know about other carriers. Problem is, you can only block five at a time without paying extra. Some of these pests use multiple phone numbers. Most of the calls I've been getting are on the weekend or in the evening.

Guest Pensauncola

Often these are Robo calls where the computer starts dialing all numbers in an area code. If it is out of state I let it go to voice mail.

Understood. I never answer any call from a number I don't recognize. It's still annoying though, especially when I have to acknowledge notifications on my phone or they keep notifying.

All too often the caller ID number is spoofed so blocking them won't do much good, just like an e-mail spammer they will pick a fresh number for the next run of calls.

What I've been getting for the last 6 months are extended warranty calls for our truck, sometimes twice a day and then a few days off and they start again.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

They likely got your number from the DMV records, they scan them for vehicles going out of factory warranty and start the calls and snail mail.

We discovered one big source of spam cell calls was our voter's registration, phone number was optional so we re-registered without it. Any time giving your cell number to a public database is optional you should really consider not giving it out. Maybe to private ones too given Target, Home Depot and the rest of the leakers.

Stan, that is a pretty good point. Never thought about that... and that is public info as you say.

Probably too late for me now, but I did just renew my FTC do-not-call registry. Their web site states to do so every 5 years, and its been at least 2+ years for me.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I get them all the time. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. I've created a number of listings in my contact list labeled "Spam" A thru Z. Each of these contacts is tagged as "no ring". Each time I get a spam call I add it to the list; each spam listing holds 5 numbers (office, home, mobile, etc.) Doesn't help for new numbers, but any repeat calls don't ring.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

If you have an Android phone there is a free app called Mr. Number that not only will block calls from suspected spam numbers, but it has a sizeable database of spam numbers with comments already built up. We use it on our phones and it works well, plus there is no limit to amount of numbers that you can have blocked. Check it out as it has several other features.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I use Call Block (Android). Once the number is added to the blacklist call block automatically hangs on them if they call again. Also blocks any text messages from numbers on the list. Numbers can be imported from your recent calls or texts. My blacklist is up to 26 numbers now. :blink:

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

I did away with my voice mailbox and no longer answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. The phone shows the Missed Call number and I can look it up on Google if I'm so inclined. Most of the time I don't bother. My friends know my number and vice versa. Otherwise, they can send me a snail mail...which I will trash.

Cat Lady

Stan, that is a pretty good point. Never thought about that... and that is public info as you say.

Probably too late for me now, but I did just renew my FTC do-not-call registry. Their web site states to do so every 5 years, and its been at least 2+ years for me.

Jim

That used to be true but was changed several years ago.

This is from the web site

" Will My Registration Expire? How long does my phone number stay registered?

Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry. "

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

• 2 weeks later...

We are Android users and I started by using Call Filter in fact DW still uses this. I upgraded to Call Control for its Black & White list feature, it uses a global blacklist + the one I add to with offending #'s.

The apps are set to answer the offending call then promptly disconnect, leaving the Robo/call center employee on a dead connection. No voice mail or interuption of my concentration. Spammers using a legit # get 1 shot only and then I add that number to my list to be disturbed no more.

I suspect there are similar apps in the iStore.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

As Stanley pointed out, above, most (if not all) cell spammers today use spoofed (fake) phone numbers that may - or may not - belong to real people or businesses. But one thing is for sure: the number doesn't trace back to the spammer. They can change them for every phone call. The FCC has been trying to come up with a way to identify the actual callers but it is extremely difficult since the records show the spoofed number and not the actual number and the spammers themselves are not in any US phone system.

Adding your cell phone (or any phone) number to the do-not-call list will not protect you from these spoofed callers. They are not worried about getting fined for calling you since no one has figured out a good way to catch them.

And blocking the calls would only be useful for callers who use a number more than once. Since they do not do this (figure out the permutations on a 9-digit telephone number... something just shy of a billion) it's not really useful. The next call will be from another number.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

The point for us is to hopefully get our number to register as a poor prospect because it hangs up vs answers. I pray they use some level of efficiency tracking to avoid calling useless #'s. I can say since we've employed our current strategy the rate of spam calls has dropped dramatically. (From 4+ per day to < 3 per month over the course of 3 years)

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

The point for us is to hopefully get our number to register as a poor prospect because it hangs up vs answers. I pray they use some level of efficiency tracking to avoid calling useless #'s. I can say since we've employed our current strategy the rate of spam calls has dropped dramatically. (From 4+ per day to < 3 per month over the course of 3 years)

I've tried a few things to discourage them. For a while I "pressed one" and when the operator came on I engaged him/her (almost always a him, though) in chat. That didn't seem to bother them though and I began to worry that they'd jot my number down for "extra" consideration in the future.

Lately I just swipe the red "X" and never answer at all.

That seems to have helped... no calls for a week or so.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived