Major WiFiRanger firmware update coming in February

docj

Over the 4 years that I've owned WiFiRanger products there have been numerous firmware updates. At first they were essential to improve stability but for the past couple of years they've largely been "bug fixes" since the routers have been far more stable than they once were.

However, the 7.0 firmware update which is targeted for release in early February is a bit different in that it contains lots of new features as well as fixing some known bugs.

Several of us on this forum have been testing the new firmware and I guess each of us has his favorite new features. Here's a list of some of the most significant new ones, in no particular order:

• Usage detail--an enhanced data usage capability allows users to sync the WiFiRanger to their cellular billing cycle so you can easily track your data and avoid overages. If you have multiple phones and hotspots on the same account, the data can be aggregated. In addition, you can restrict network access by specific devices on your network to further restrict usage of your valuable cellular data.
  • Conduits--if you have a pet alone in your RV you can now use any web-connected camera to easily monitor how he/she is doing while you're away. Even if you don't have a pet, now you can directly access devices on your network without having to implement port forwarding.
  • Safe Surf--if you're concerned about the security of your internet connection, use WiFiRanger Safe Surf feature to create a VPN-like tunnel to protect your data.
  • Multi-WAN--use multiple internet connections in parallel to spread your data across both RV park wifi and cellular. Reduce your cellular usage without degradation of performance. Set up true "hot standby" connections that switch instantly.
  • Static IP--need a static IP for a particular device; select it now with a single keystroke.
  • Mobile control panel--new easy to use mobile device control panel makes it possible to access most functions from your phone,

There are others, but these are the most significant ones IMHO. Stability has been excellent; my WFR had been running for two weeks until last night when I downloaded the latest update.

I'll post when the update goes live and, of course, your WFR's control panel will indicate the presence of an update. There are quite a few FAQs and Knowledge Base entries that will go live when the software is released.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Sounds like traffic would be routing through their servers for some of these features. Will all web traffic be going through these, or will the wifiranger be smart enough to know which traffic to route where?

I hope the "Conduits" feature works well, I have some ideas for it. Unfortunately, I was never able to get the previous version of this (Fusion) to work.

Yes, Safe Surf and conduits both funnel traffic through WFR's servers. For conduits only traffic to the specific device will take that path; for Safe Surf all data will be routed that way.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

• 2 weeks later...

The new WiFiRanger firmware update is now going live. It may take a day or two for your WFR to "see" the update.

Technomadia has an excellent summary of the new firmware here: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/wifiranger-unleashes-phantom-7-0-massive-free-firmware-upgrade/

The official WiFiRanger description of the firmware is here: http://wifiranger.com/solutions-mobileti/firmware

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Can you use a tethered smartphone with the WiFi Ranger?

WDR

My experience has been that smartphone tethering doesn't usually work but MiFi-type devices work well in that mode. We connect our phone hotspots to our Ranger via wifi and, since the speed is so fast these days, the loss due to the extra "hop" doesn't matter for all practical purposes.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

My experience using physical tethering is similar to Joel's. Although I have done no formal testing, in general my experience with a physical tether is that it works...but often not as well as a wifi connection. This is for a phone or a Jetpack. Modems tether just fine.

This firmware release is an amazing piece of work. There are a number of important features in the product. It is worth reading up on.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've looked but have not been able to find the answer to a question I have.

Joel, you know the hardware I have, WFR Go and a Mobile. In the past we have had to update the Mobile and then the Go. Is that the same procedure to go through for this update?

Thanks!

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

I've looked but have not been able to find the answer to a question I have.

Joel, you know the hardware I have, WFR Go and a Mobile. In the past we have had to update the Mobile and then the Go. Is that the same procedure to go through for this update?

Thanks!

Technomadia addresses this in their write-up, but the short answer is make sure that the two devices are paired and that one of them is online to a stable internet source. I think it is best if you click on "Check for Updates" on the control panel for both devices; I'm sure you know how to access the Mobile's CP through the Setup tab. After a few minutes you should see both WFR's display the fact that an update is available.

Once both units are reporting that updates are available, all you need to do is click on the Update link ONLY on the Go's control panel. This is different from the way things used to work and it is a much easier process. The two devices will update automatically one after the other. Just follow the update progress along on the screen and you should be good to go after ~10 minutes.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Modems tether just fine.

Although it appears that fewer people are using modems these days, modem support provided by WiFiRanger devices is better than ever, Last summer, using a very early version of this software, my WFR router was able to support a completely undocumented Nokia modem running on a Canadian cellular system.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Once both units are reporting that updates are available, all you need to do is click on the Update link ONLY on the Go's control panel. This is different from the way things used to work and it is a much easier process. The two devices will update automatically one after the other. Just follow the update progress along on the screen and you should be good to go after ~10 minutes.

Joel

Thank you!

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

My park WiFi is poor. How large are the updates? I have a GO2 and a Mobile1.

I honestly don't know the size of the updates. When you say it is poor, do you mean it is unstable or just slow? Being slow is not a problem as long as it is stable. If you feel it is too unstable to handle the update just wait until you are at a different park.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

In all the years that I've had my WFR I've experienced more than my share of troubles trying to install updates. The wifi at the park we spent 2 years in was worse than unstable. However, for this update we smoothly enough to make up for all those "bad" times. It helped that we are in an area where we have a good cell signal and using our mifi the update went very, very well.

Thank you to everyone on the WFR team!

Trish & Raquel

--------

Archived