Best TOAD for Thor Challenger

Ron & Linda R

There are several things to consider that are not mentioned. In your ratings for the coach there will be a maximum towing weight that you need to look at and also the hitch receiver on your coach has a rated maximum weight on it as well which is important. Most Challengers seem to have a GCWR (gross combined) of 26K so that looks like you have a tow capability of 4K. The Honda CR-V has long been popular and we loved ours but it is my understanding that this will be the last year that it is towable 4 down. Chevy Malibu is also and several other GM cars. There are also a number of 4WD vehicles which can be towed as automatic transmission models.

If you consider modification such as a lube pump, that will greatly expand what can be towed. You can find a good assortment of kits to enable vehicle towing from REMCO Ind. who have been in this business for many years.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We had a Toyota Matrix, automatic that we towed with a car dolly. Then we went to a Honda CRV, automatic which we tow 4-down. My vote is for the CRV. - Plenty of room, towable automatic, good fuel mileage (30+) and not too expensive. Ours is a 2009. When towing I don't really see any difference if I drive around 60 mph. Best of luck, Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Ron & Linda, Find an online copy of Motorhome Magazines 2014 Guide to Dinghy Towing, it lists the hundreds of vehicles capable of flat towing (4 wheels down). With so many different types, models, sizes available, including many automatics; its hard for us to pick the "best" for you. To me what really matters is what you will use this vehicle for when its not being towed behind your rig. Some want to be able to carry at least 2 adult passengers, some like a pickup truck to carry extra gear in the bed, some like a 4x4 for exploring. Finding an automatic wont be a problem, finding one that fits your budget, your preferences and your rigs weight limit of 4, 000 lbs, will be easy if you review the Dinghy Guide list and pick the 2 or 3 that meet your needs, then go shopping.

You'll notice that a lot of the automatics are 4x4 models, that's because the transfer case neutral position of a typical 4x4 (but not all 4x4) acts like a drive shaft disconnect. My GMC Canyon 4x4 towed actually leaves the auto transmission shifter in Park when being towed, because with the transfer case in neutral the transmission is disconnected from the drive train.

the 2 most popular towed vehicles seem to be the Honda CRV and the Jeep Wrangler; but that doesn't mean either is the best for your preferences.

As far as the MPG, in my experience pulling a towed made less than 1/2 MPG difference. But like any MPG measurement, it varies by engine size, weights, speeds, driving style, etc. You'll find that things like the winds and hills have more impact on your MPG that the towed.

Jim

We had a Toyota Matrix, automatic that we towed with a car dolly. Then we went to a Honda CRV, automatic which we tow 4-down. My vote is for the CRV. - Plenty of room, towable automatic, good fuel mileage (30+) and not too expensive. Ours is a 2009. When towing I don't really see any difference if I drive around 60 mph. Best of luck, Dave.

Ron and Linda, I would echo Dave & kathy sentiments almost exactly...

We have a 36' 2007 Dolphin, Ford Triton V10 engine, and flat tow a 2008 Honda CR-V. I am sure it costs 'some' gas milage but I would be surprised if more than a single mpg... I barely know it is there when towing. And we have put 70,000 miles on it in 21/2 years of driving and have had no problems except wearing out a set of tires and brakes.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Ron & Linda, Find an online copy of Motorhome Magazines 2014 Guide to Dinghy Towing, it lists the hundreds of vehicles capable of flat towing (4 wheels down). With so many different types, models, sizes available, including many automatics; its hard for us to pick the "best" for you. To me what really matters is what you will use this vehicle for when its not being towed behind your rig. Some want to be able to carry at least 2 adult passengers, some like a pickup truck to carry extra gear in the bed, some like a 4x4 for exploring. Finding an automatic wont be a problem, finding one that fits your budget, your preferences and your rigs weight limit of 4, 000 lbs, will be easy if you review the Dinghy Guide list and pick the 2 or 3 that meet your needs, then go shopping.

You'll notice that a lot of the automatics are 4x4 models, that's because the transfer case neutral position of a typical 4x4 (but not all 4x4) acts like a drive shaft disconnect. My GMC Canyon 4x4 towed actually leaves the auto transmission shifter in Park when being towed, because with the transfer case in neutral the transmission is disconnected from the drive train.

the 2 most popular towed vehicles seem to be the Honda CRV and the Jeep Wrangler; but that doesn't mean either is the best for your preferences.

As far as the MPG, in my experience pulling a towed made less than 1/2 MPG difference. But like any MPG measurement, it varies by engine size, weights, speeds, driving style, etc. You'll find that things like the winds and hills have more impact on your MPG that the towed.

Better yet, follow this LINK: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/ to the guide. Just like everything, you have got to figure out which vehicle will fit your needs, will fit your body, will fit your motorhome, etc.

What works for me, you might not like at all. I am 6'4" and weigh 2---much, so you might not even be able to see over the steering wheel on my toad. :D

It is all part of the game. Just make sure that your MH and your hitch can handle your toad!

GOOD LUCK!!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

I will be using my 2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 auto (elect disconnect on the transfer case), I priced Blue OX towing systems

with a brake unit and the pricing installed I got from four different shops runs $2900, $3100, $4000 & finally $5000 (camping

world). I was quite surprised by the high price charged by camping world even with the GS discount.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Linda & Ron, we'er now looking for a tow--our toad a '93 Toyota Pick up (300000 miles) is expiring--Good info posted already--FMCA 2015 from previous years drops even more models from towing 4 wheels on the ground (which many post on RV forums state that they feel it's much less of a hastle than a dolly)--manufactures moving to continous velocity tranmissions to meet fuel standards--more models towable if you're wiling to use a tow dolly (good new one toward $2000 with brakes). That is more of a pain to work with but opens up many more options of vehicles--we always wanted to stay ligher & better gas milage--the dolly now makes something like a Prius + many other automatic transmission available--If tow 4 wheels down, need mounting brackets for toad, tow bar, electrical wirig system for toad to RV for lights and turn signals, and brake system in toad to operate toad brakes when braking the RV--depends on products but this gear new we're pricing like at Camping World can push toward $2000--Go back a year to 2014 & the Honda CRV, auto tran is good 4 wheels down--lots of responses on the RV forums with prople who love that auto--RV pump comment prior post, have not read what the application of these is on these new style automatic tranmission (continous velocity types), is going to be. Happy Travels to you

Archived