Tire Recommendations for New Volvo 780

whatsnext

We are spec'ing out a Volvo VNL42T780. We plan to fulltime in a 44' coach and boondock (desert) about 30% of the time.

I need your opinions on what tire to get.

Volvo is suggesting (for fuel economy)

Steer: Bridgestone R283 Ecopia

Drive: Bridgestone M710 Ecopia

I have seen people lean towards Michelin XDE M/S but there does not seem to be a clear consensus. Probably a personal taste issue but I have no experience so pro's & con's would be great.

Mildly concerned with "tire noise" as well.

Thank you

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Wow another "new" truck buyer! Must be nice!

Enjoy!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Wow another "new" truck buyer! Must be nice!

Enjoy!

Curt

Hi Curt-

We are excited and terrified all at the same time! The tough part will be to write the check!!!! Not looking forward to that at all.

Thanks

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

David

Regional service tire is great for RV hauler use.

Fuel economy is not to be sneezed at but a lesser criteria for a RV Hauler.

Regional service gives a good balance between rolling resistance and scrubbing resistance, with a little tougher tire to handle the rigors of the RV lifestyle.

So, it really comes down to what you plan to do.

Drive tires all depend on where you plan to be and how much you plan to be there driving.

You have to choose whether or not to have different drive tires or go with an all position tire.

This depends on your intended use

We use all position Regional service tires all the way around.

Personal choice was Firestone 560plus

Regional service options might include some of these...

Bridgestone (R260F), Michelin (XZE2, XZE), Goodyear (G661, G662) - (top tier - highest cost)

These are probably the brands you have to choose from in this situation

Other choices Second tier (good quality @ lower cost)

Firestone (560plus), BFGoodrich (ST230, ST244), Yokohama (104ZR, 103ZR), Hankook (AH24, AH11, AH12), Toyo (M154) -

There are other good options as well. This is only a beginning list.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Thanks Trey (How's the weather in the Austin area?)

We'll want a tire which has good traction since we'll be boondocking in the desert areas about 30% of the time. We plan to put about 15K miles/yr on it (yeah, I know, a non-issue). LOL

So I want a "happy median" between good traction and on road use.

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Thanks Trey (How's the weather in the Austin area?)

We'll want a tire which has good traction since we'll be boondocking in the desert areas about 30% of the time. We plan to put about 15K miles/yr on it (yeah, I know, a non-issue). LOL

So I want a "happy median" between good traction and on road use.

David

David:

Congratulations on the new truck.

I have a 780 and boondock in the desert. I have street tread tires. You will spend most of your driving miles (and time) on the highways. My suggestion is to buy tires that work on the highways.

Given the 780's weight (and the weight of our trailers), I am not sure that any tire tread will be much of a factor, in the desert. I have not been stuck (yet) and here is my suggestion. Stay clear of soft sand and wet soil. I have heard that wet grass is a problem, but never experienced it.

During our Christmas holiday vacation, the desert dirt was wet and I almost dug the rears into a hole. With all of the torque our engines make, it is easy to do. So, go very, very easy on the "go" pedal. If possible have some watch your drive tires to make sure they do not dig in.

The "getting stuck mode" has always been when I tried to push my heavy trailer up a very slight incline. I used to have a 4WD and sometimes I miss that feature, but not enough to trade my Volvo for a Ford F550. LOL.

BTW - I have the ability to lock up my rear tires. Although I have yet to use that feature. I carry 2X6 boards and a shovel, just in case I get stuck. I have an I-Shift and I prefer to put the selector in manual so I can choose the "proper gear."

I am not sure where you go, but most of the western desert dirt roads are like concrete, until it rains. Then they become mush.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the practical experience. I never realized how many tire types/tread combinations there were until I began to research it! Wow.

I appreciate the advice and will use it to "steer" us in a direction (yes, pun intended). Don't know what that direction will be yet but getting close.

I have also seen some posts with those who carry chains....I guess those aren't just for snow (who knew).

Most of our "off road" adventures will probably be in the desert southwest so we'll keep an eye on the weather and stay out of the washes!

David

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Archived