Painted Concrete

Chillbilly

I have old concrete in southern Florida which is pitted and full of small cracks. It does have character. I want to paint it with an inexpensive coating. I don’t want to spend the money for the epoxy coverings. Paint dealers claim their concrete will not chip, although there are many in this park with painted patios which are very chipped. I will take the chance, even if I have to touch it up every couple of years. My problem is, over the summer when no one is here, the concrete gets very dirty. It gets mildew and mold. Will the paint seal the concrete? Or, should the concrete be sealed before painting? If so, with what? What paint would you suggest? Any help will be appreciated.

Chillbilly

"Campgrounds In And Around The Great Smoky Mountains National Park"

"Knowledge Gained - Known, Found, Borrowed, and Stolen"

Knoxville, TN

Winnebago Adventurer 31Y - Jeep Liberty

Semper Fi

Preview Books

You need to pressure wash it and make sure it's totally dry and then apply two coats of paint at least 24 hrs between coats and then repeat the same with two coats of sealer.Home Depot or equivalent should have what you need.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Not an expert but there is most likely always going to be moisture in concrete in Florida. Either 80% humidity, the morning dew (also from humidity) or the rain. You will have to be very patient and lucky to be home and ready to paint at a moments notice when everything is as dry as can be. You could try one of the products they sell for "basement' walls that is supposed to prevent moisture from outside to come in, but then I am not sure if the paint would adhere. I can't remember what they call it but the round pebbles embedded in an epoxy is what I had on my lanai and an annual pressure wash with a bit of bleach would kill the grass around it and keep it looking good for almost a year. Was a full day job though 20 x 30 ft.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hi, there is always moisture in concrete unless there is a good vapor barrier between it and mother earth.
BobQ

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

In my opinion painting is not a good solution in your situation.

1. You do not know if there was a vapor barrier put down be for the concrete was laid.

2. I am assuming the concrete has been there for some time.

Based on your comments about moisture and mildew, I would either do it right or not do it at all, or you will just be wasting your time and money.

Doing it right will involve etching the concrete first to open the pores and make it penetrable with a product such as this:

http://www.hcconcrete.com/products/shark-grip-prep-products/Etching_Solution/index.jsp

Then following with a good quality concrete sealer such as this:

http://www.hcconcrete.com/products/solid-color-stains/solvent-based-sealer/

You can read and decide for yourself whether you want to paint or seal. In either case you will need to etch the concrete first to have any chance of a decent result with either method you choose.

I only mention the brand above as I had experience with them in my career as General Superintendent in concrete construction. There are undoubtedly other equally good products out there. When I was still working, H&C products were available through Sherwin Williams among others.

Acid wash the concrete.

Pressure wash thoroughly to get any dirt off and to remove all the acid.

If there is significant cracking, DAP and others make a gun grade caulking-type product to fill the cracks.

Do not paint. Use a concrete stain like the H&C product. This is a penetrating stain and sealer. Porter Paint is usually a good source.

If they have a water-based stain, it's easier to handle and probably a bit more moisture tolerant.

Check with the paint store to see if they recommend a texture additive like Shark-Grip or something similar.

Above all, enjoy yourself. You are going to have a ball!

You could plan a party, invite some friends to share the fun.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Archived