Short Bed Hitch, Anyone Tried These?

RV_

I finally found the right deal on a 2006 Dodge 5.9 Cummins 2500 truck. Only problem is it's a short bed. Despite being a fiver driver for my seven years of fulltiming, I thought that I could make do with a Ford Ranger for a really small travel trailer. Got rid of the Ranger, as my previous two Doge Cummins trucks got similar mileage but were brutes in towing decently matched loads.

Well a 2006 four door Lonestar edition popped up with a private owner, low miles and although it was a short bed we still were thinking TT, just bigger. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I've found that there's a new hitch getting rave reviews, and since my truck already has a gooseneck hitch ball in the bed, the Anderson Ultimate Hitch looks to be a good buy. It's is in stock, about $500.00 and no installation needed save by me.

Here is the webpage where it is shown:

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3225--ultimate-5th-wheel-connectiongooseneck-version.aspx

Anyone own one? Feedback on it?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I know of a guy on the Dodge owners Forum that tried one. His opinion was that it was clunky, and I believe it stressed cracked on him. While it eliminates the leverage issue of using a gooseneck, I can't see any advantage of it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If I get a different truck that has a goose neck in it I am going to try it. I know someone who has it and likes it, says there is no noise while towing like a regular hitch because there is no hitch movement. It is definitely cheaper than a Reese Auto Slide.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I belong to the Ford trucks forums and it gets some very good reviews.

Personally I am a little skeptical, but I have not been able to find any reports actual failures from places like the NHTSB or IIHS.

That said, I have a B&W Companion slider. I got the slider thinking down the road, but our current trailer has a rounded front specifically with short bed trucks in mind. I have NO complaints with the B&W and I do use it as a slider as I think it slightly improves maneuverability.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I like to ask other RVrs. Dealers have a bad habit of loving everything they sell and my truck can pull anything on their lot! Orly??

Guys thanks! The dealer, of course, swears by them and the multimillion dollar guarantee makes it seem safe enough. I like trying new things and this may be it. Bill if you can get Chuck to post here I'd really appreciate it. My email is RV at rvroadie dot com. If it is easier for him have him email me his phone # and good time to call and I'll call him, or just email him.

Having said that, I'm not too worried about the aluminum linking, I saw it in person setup, albeit on the showroom floor. I do want to talk to some RVrs with it first, but I am running our of time to find a good used rig, and it is this, or I need to go get the long bed I saw in Craigslist yesterday. What made me stop and think was that I would then have to pay to have a fiver hitch installed from scratch if I sold my truck and bought it. I had the dealer work it up for my short bed for a standard hitch not a slider and it was over $1600.00! OK I know I can get it done elsewhere cheaper but my point is that the hitch seems to eliminate all the "moment of force" issues in using the gooseneck hitch already in it.

I have however completely ruled out a slider hitch because of both the weight of them and the cost. The dealer had a used one there on consignment and told me he would install it if a wanted something requiring at least four big lifting capable guys to put in the bed and take out. I took a look and decided I didn't want a slider in my bed. I really can just up and sell my new to me truck and get the long bed in craigs if it proves out as good as it looks on driving. I pay cash for all my vehicles and "own" them not any bank. So for what the other truck costs I could make a few thousand profit to pay for any hitch. I just hate to get a truck with 270k miles to replace one with 135k miles both the same year, both the full four door newer quad cab and two wheel drive. I am emailing home after this and ask if it has or had a fiver hitch in it and if the brackets are still in it if removed and can he tell me the brand and model. If I can just bolt rails in and buy the hitch used or new that would clinch it. I could either buy his or buy the Andersen Hitch.

I am not overly concerned because I am getting a small fiver used, and not fulltiming in it. We will just live in it when the new double wide we bought is installed here. They are pulling my single wide off to the side to build the concrete footers and pad for it. I am not worried about the future because I have a standing offer at great profit even with the new structure added. If that does not happen I'll just give it to my son here when we move , or have him live in it if we go full time again, with a whole other rig, truck and fiver. No speaky motorhome, speaky fiver only!

Thanks again!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I read somewhere that the distance from the rear axle to the rear window is shorter on the Dodge shortbed than Ford or Chevy. We have a friend who tows with a Dodge and has taken out 2 windows and still won't buy a hitch that automatically moves back. He has a manual slider now but seems to just get caught. The pin box on his 5er goes straight down which also makes things worse.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

A supervisor at work tows a toy hauler and a curt standard 5ther hitch with a mega cab 3500 Dodge. Cab is damaged on both sides. Still no slider hitch. This is a 175k yearly salary man. Go figure.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

To answer your original question: The Anderson hitch is very good in quality, and it would suit your needs well. And with the design, it's a quiet hitch after your trailer is hooked up.

One drawback is that you must put the hitch ball exactly underneath the cable actuated connection base on the front of your trailer. With a conventional fifth wheel hitch, it funnels the hitch ball into place for locking down. Many Anderson Hitch owners will use a remote camera so they can see when their trailer's centered over the ball.

Another drawback is that if you take your trailer into a dealership for service, they're going to have to deal with the connection base to move the trailer around the lot. The connection base is relatively easy to remove, however.

I was looking at the Anderson Hitch, however my campground often moves my trailer from storage onto a campsite. I went with a B&W Patriot 16K hitch due to the high quality, and its adjustability up and down, back and forth. It's also priced favoribly.

RV- In all honesty, for a short bed Dodge like you have, and like I just sold. a Pullrite Superglide, is great. They are more expensive, but you'll never worry about your back windows either. Just a thought.

We have used a Pullrite on our old 2007 Dodge 2500 and loved it. We were hoping to use it on our new 3500, but the footprint is different on the shortbed for the 3500 so we ordered a new superglide. We never had any issues with our superglide.

Doreen Lawrence

Jemez Springs, NM

I have a buddy that has a long bed same year as mine but with 270k miles versus 136k on mine. We are going to get together and see if I'm interested. Then I can just use the regular fiver hitch. My last two Ram diesels were fine when I sold them with 750k miles on the 92Dodge Ram 3500, and 425k miles on the 2002 2500. We'll see.

I do like the Andersen ultimate. You have to have some perspective here guys. Aluminum struts holdup tons of fuselage, passengers, cargo, and booze on every jet that flies the friendly skies.

It can't torque the frame like a gooseneck adapter. The tripod is locked down on the gooseneck ball in the bed. The fiver is hitched at the top. There is no leverage at work. With it, the forces at the hitch are at the hitch, and the forces from the hitch frame, as with a regular fiver hitch are on the bed and frame.

The materials are not an issue. I was happy to see I can still get a sliding bolt five hitch if I go with a long bed. My old favorite RBW doesn't seem to be in business anymore with a cursory search.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Bill,

I don't what you're responding to. Perhaps cut and paste what you are referencing?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 month later...

OK,

It fell in my lap. I saw an ad for one last night in Craigslist. $200.00 and used only once. Seems the guy has a flat bed with the gooseneck ball below the bed so it does not have to be removed for flat carrying. Fine for a gooseneck but this one is torqued onto the bed and the ball needs to be above the bed. I picked it up this morning, literally one handed! It is new. They cost just over $650.00 here after tax. I already downloaded the manuals and watched the videos online. Once the aluminum block is installed on the trailer pin plate, it is too easy to put in and take out.

They now make one that is all aluminum and have a super 2:44 minute video. They pressure test it until it buckles, then load an 18 wheeler trailer with two sand rails on the one they just buckled. They shoot some great video of the hitch underway at 65 mph. At the end he has his 12 year old remove it in minutes and carry it. At the beginning they throw it to the guy on camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANCHyNU7its

Here is the 2:44 overview that shows the install of the whole thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJDZrmzBa3c

Once the block is on the trailer here is a 44 second video showing how easy it is to set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEhC9iY9-J8

I have the slightly heavier steel one, but I can carry it with one hand. Unbelievable. Now I can get a fiver. I am a fiver driver and much prefer them. I towed two 35.5' fivers for seven years West of the Mississippi and from Mexico up to and including Alaska. This video really shows all the capabilities best in 8minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78l-PadWAro

I haven't bought the fiver yet but am looking for a smaller under 27 foot or so used rig. I'll post what I find hitched up. I love this hitch!

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks Bill!

Not on the road yet. The reason we came off the road 11 years ago was because of our last remaining parents, Lynn's, getting on in years and no one here that will help but her Aunt, her mom's sister, and Lynn. Her aunt is 84 and drives over to stay because her husband, a buddy of my FIL, was killed in action. We are a very military family. Our folks recovered from that crisis in 2003 11 years ago and we have been here ever since, helping a bit more each year until this past six months. So the only way I get back on the road now would be by myself. My buddy and wife of 42 years is needed here daily now. Her dad is not physically able, and has Alzheimer's now, and can't even remember where the hospital is anymore. Her mom just got rid of Hodgkin's Lymphoma only to be told she may have lung cancer, or a viral/fungal infection. But at least she has gone from 82 pounds to 98 pounds. She is 5'4" and may make it back we hope! She has all her faculties and without her we will have to put her dad in a nursing home for memory care. But she is more than just his caregiver. A wonderful woman who followed her husband through WWII when he was gone and was part of MacArthur's Governor's residence guard when he was military Governor of Japan. He went from the Army to the USAF when it was formed in 1947. He did Korea and was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war. he did 20 years and one day, and was a parachute rigger here at Barksdale when he retired in 1968.My BIL was born in France, and my wife here. Then we both, after being raised military brats, after I joined up we did, and did 27 years together in the AF all over the world. When asked where we are from we just say when? See, I was living inside my mom for nine months while she was living with my dad her husband in Denver. But she was scared to have me without Mom so she flew home to NYC and I was born at the nearby Naval station and she had me with her mom there. So I wasn't even born where we lived! :blink::unsure:;) My folks are both gone but we are needed here for as long as it takes, daily now. No regrets. It is our turn for a little payback of the loyalty we were shown along with a lot of love. But at some point I hope to be fulltiming again together. Might even reactivate our old Escapee number and start attending events again.

But the RV for now will be a smaller fiver, just to do weekends and immediately to live in while the foundation is poured and the house done. Hey I am still 62 and in excellent health. We did seven years fulltime from 45-52 already. If we can go again in the next few years we will be the "normal" age. :D But ya never know. I'd as soon wait. Her grandmother lived with us the last five years of her life. Family isn't the only thing, just the most important. We do want to do East of the ole Miss. But I really like the NE and the northern tier around the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana. We'll make it God willing and the creek don't rise!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 4 months later...

If the distance axle to cab is shorter on the Ram, you can use either the Curt or B&W 4" offset gooseball.

2016 Forest River Wildcat 295RSX

Ground Control 3.0 Autolevel, 16" Maxxis, 2 A/C, Slide Toppers

Champion 3100 Inverter, Geardeck 17

2015 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Z71 DbleCab Diesel/Allison 6.6' Std. Bed

Fold-A-Cover quad panel bed cover, TST TPMS, Raptor extended step bars

Andersen Aluminum Ultimate on Curt Double-Lock 4" Offset Gooseball

Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags with AirLift One wireless compressor

Both Retired in Allen Texas (N. Dallas)

5 Kids, 7 Grandkids, 1 GreatGrandkid. Escaping as much as we can ;-)

Bill,

Thanks but no need. Let me catch everyone up. I already had a gooseneck ball in the bed. I have since towed the fiver here with the Anderson, and a badly adjusted new brake controller. The weather finally dried up here enough to turn it on my property. We had torrential rains until just a few weeks ago here in NW Louisiana. The last week of rain dumped 4.5 inches on us in one afternoon in an hour!

I am having no issues with the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I love it. I did reverse the trailer part though to give it a few more inches of clearance to be sure. But it is not even close. I may flip the top ball adapter back to the original configuration for handling if it clears too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 1 year later...

i bought an anderson ultimate hitch. you need to check what kind of pin box you have, and if you have a large bubble on the front,

mine would not work with my short bed 2015 dodge 2500 hd. i have a 34ft cardinal by forest river ,with a extended lippert pin box.

anderson wasn't much help just told me to return it i wish i would have known i would have had a b&w goose neck ball put in

just a warning please ask a lot of questions before buying. i have lost a lot of $$$$ and time buying this hitch, going to go back to my pull rite. i bought it new worked good just wanted to loose some lbs, and make it easer to take out NOT NEED ANY HELP

I have F350 DW and pull Montana High Country with the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and wouldn't own anything else. So easy to get in and out and really easy to hook up. I did have to pull the middle head rest in the back seat but can look in my rear view mirror and see the ball to hook up. Couldn't be easier.

2016 Montana High Courtry 305RL pull by 2016 F350 DW 4x4 with a Anderson Ultimate Hitch and love it.

Archived