3 pedal eaton/fuller 10 speed autoshift

wawrd1

My Gen 2 will default to start in 2nd. You can push the up or down button before moving the truck and it will then always start up in 1st or 3rd depending what you pushed. Until you shut it all down, then it reverts to 2nd gear starting. I'm pretty sure that's what the manual said too, but it's a lot of work for me to get to the manual and search through it right now. I don't think it made any mention of how the ecm or what-not was programmed. I did have to move my camper yesterday so I tried to push the up button to get it to start out in a higher gear and it would only go up to 3. As I thought. So, anybody with a Gen 2 that will start from a stop in 4 or higher? Back to the o/p for a minute. I think if everything else about that truck you're looking at is good for you I wouldn't worry about the autoshift trans. The minor complaints about it don't seem to be a deal breaker to me.

Howdy Bob,

Thats exactly how my truck works, it defaults to start in second gear, you can pick 1st or 3rd but nothing higher and like yours once you pick a starting gear it will select that gear to start in until you shut it off when it will revert to the 2nd gear default. I was told that the ECM can be reprogrammed to allow starting a higher gear then 3rd but I don't know that for a fact.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

You can have the starting gear reprogrammed to start off in 3 in at least my Truck. 2001 Volvo with the Volvo D12 and the Eaton 10. Can't go any higher than third though.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Howdy Bob,

Thats exactly how my truck works, it defaults to start in second gear, you can pick 1st or 3rd but nothing higher and like yours once you pick a starting gear it will select that gear to start in until you shut it off when it will revert to the 2nd gear default. I was told that the ECM can be reprogrammed to allow starting a higher gear then 3rd but I don't know that for a fact.

Dave

Mr. Cob,

The "paddle" stalk is proprietary Freightliner! No other truck offers this great feature, I absolutely love this feature. Very ergonomic, indeed.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Mr. Cob,

The "paddle" stalk is proprietary Freightliner! No other truck offers this great feature, I absolutely love this feature. Very ergonomic, indeed.

Curt

Howdy Curt,

I like the paddle shifter much better then the other Auto Shift versions I have seen, everything within easy reach and simple to operate. I didn't know it was a Freightliner exclusive.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I have a gen 2. Wife and I both drive it with no problems. By default starts in 2nd. Highest start gear is 3rd. Always use 3rd for bobtail. Use 3rd for starting with trailer 75% of the time.

Approaching a traffic light and we get to the point we realize we are going to have to make the complete stop (I try to avoid coming to complete stop and using the clutch if I can) I just press "N" with out the clutch as I come to a stop. As soon as I am stopped I press "D" with out using the clutch while waiting on the light to change. Once the light changes I just press the clutch in, as soon as it drops in gear, come off the clutch and we are on our way. With your clutch brake properly adjusted it should not take more than 2 or 3 seconds to drop in gear. Typically faster.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

On most versions of the Autoshift you can have the trans programmed to do a default start to 3rd. There are some, however, if I recall correctly that did not allow that. But most of them will.

Dave, the very BEST thing about a FL with an autoshift is the stalk they did. And it is proprietary to FL. It is a very nice system. Way better than the center console, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Autoshift. Have owned our truck now for over ten years. Start in second when pulling trailer, use third if bobtailing. Was told when we bought the truck the trany could be programmed to start out in a higher gear, for extra $$$$ but we never have done anything about it. Slow moving until 35 mph and then get out of my way. ;)

Have had the last two summers a problem upshifting on hills.

2013. Don't remember the name of the town we came out of. Was a 25 mph zone to a 55 mph zone on a two lane road on a sharp uphill grade. Truck shifted up a couple gears then stopped shifting, like it was stuck in neutral. Not good when you have a car on your bumper and the only thing you see is the shadow of the car in your mirror. Let off on the throttle it downshifted, gave it throttle and was good to go. Then in CA. south of Crescent City going up a hill won't shift into 10th gear. Let off on the throttle it downshifted gave it throttle and was fine after that. No problems the rest of the year.

This summer was on Hwy 431 east of Mountain City, TN. went around a very sharp uphill hairpin curve and the truck won't shift into third. Stopped on the road. No one behind me. Shifted into neutral, let the clutch out, put it back in after a few seconds, shifted into drive and was good to go. Did it a couple other times at stop lights that were on hills. Next day and from then on has been fine.

Archived