Cost for tow setup for a toad?

Phil Saran

My wife and I are both capable of doing the entire breaking camp, hooking up process unaided, which is very useful if one of us is incapacitated or unavailable for any reason. In normal times we share the duties and use a cross check process to make sure nothing is overlooked. It's a partnership concept that's worked well for us for over 50 years.

I do about 50% of driving, etc. and that sure came in handy this summer when Dave's back went out - twice I had to move us through Seattle traffic to our next spot. Having both partners being able to do things just makes it easier should a need arise. I can't imagine anyone not wanting their partner to be able to help.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I do about 50% of driving, etc. and that sure came in handy this summer when Dave's back went out - twice I had to move us through Seattle traffic to our next spot. Having both partners being able to do things just makes it easier should a need arise. I can't imagine anyone not wanting their partner to be able to help.

Barb

Absolutely, Barb...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Our Jeep Wrangler doesn't need a base plate... it has a custom front bumper that is securely attacked to the frame so we bought a Harbor Freight $80 tow bar, $20 worth of safety chains (also HF), an LED light bar, a used Brake Buddy from craigslist and we're on our way. Towed about 4,000 miles with this setup so far.

We watch the connection components closely. HF has bolts for the mount but I had the mounts both welded to the bumper and bolted. I would have welded it myself but decided to have a local pro do it since it seemed kind of important. One reason for the Jeep Wrangler was that it's a modified off-road (lifted, rock sliders, extra roll cage, winch, etc.) vehicle and not so handsome that it can't be welded on. :)

Under $450 for everything.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I told my wife some of the discussion here and her reaction was "I would not be married to those guys". She does hook and unhook and actually cares how it all looks. An aluminum towbar was needed to keep the weight down, a built-in braking system was needed since she has a bad back and can't maneuver a Brake Buddy type unit, and it had to look decent or it was not acceptable. $2900 for a professional install, of all new parts, by someone who has done many sounds good to me.

I think your wife & Pam might be sisters! :P She not only wouldn't accept an "ugly" tow set-up, and she has similar comments about stuff hanging on the rear ladder...... Don't even think about telling her that she can't do or has to do things.....

When we had the motorhome Pam put the Brake Buddy in while I did the hooking up of the tow-bar. We occasionally changed and did the chores of the other just to keep up on how, but for the most part we had things divided into "blue" and "pink" jobs in both RV related chores and preparing to move. Since we went back to a travel trailer she has never hooked up or towed but probably could since she used to do it all at times back when we had trailers & kids. Because of her arthritis history, she has not attempted to hook up the trailer or dump tanks. I know that some here think that we shouldn't be on the road unless both do everything, but that view leaves me wondering how they would advise a single with no backup driver? I have never understood why the view of "whatever works for you" doesn't apply to things of this nature?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I don't think anyone is saying that both parties MUST be capable of doing everything, just that when both parties ARE capable of, and practiced in, doing everything, it can make RV life easier and relieve a burden when one or the other partner is unable to assist at some point. A single RV'er obviously doesn't have that option, so it's not a consideration. If one of the partners isn't physically or mentally capable of assisting, that's a different issue entirely that puts the hookup, etc. process back in the realm of the single RV'er for those operations. It is what it is, nothing more...

Dutch

Kirk, I don't think anyone is saying that both parties MUST be capable of doing everything, just that when both parties ARE capable of, and practiced in, doing everything, it can make RV life easier and relieve a burden when one or the other partner is unable to assist at some point.

My comment was triggered by a PM that I received from a member of the forum who asked if they were really the only ones who have only one that ever drives the RV. But I just realized that we are hijacking someone's subject so we should probably drop the subject.

;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My comment was triggered by a PM that I received from a member of the forum who asked if they were really the only ones who have only one that ever drives the RV. But I just realized that we are hijacking someone's subject so we should probably drop the subject.

;)

Agreed...

Dutch

Thank you all for the responses. We are going looking at MH's this Friday and while

out I plan to stop at Camping World in Longmont CO just to price this hitch/baseplate,

etc. and compare to what I already have gotten for pricing just to compare. I like the

work of the RV shop and have heard some negative stuff about CW installers?

Kirk, I think my wife will be just as picky as your wife & Dutch's wife.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Sounds like many of us have a good division of labor for many of the jobs we have to do for travel, why should anyone get upset over who does what or when. what works for one may not work for another. Besides that it may not be any of my business. Ones comments are just that, "personal comments neither right nor wrong" enjoy your travels for they end too soon.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I have a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar for sale for $350.00 which I just had rebuilt by Blue Ox. It is listed on this website as well as on Craig's List at this address. http://mcallen.craigslist.org/rvs/4834667614.html I also have a braking system called "Stay in Play" by SMI Manufacturing which is meant for a gas engine motor home. You can contact me at retiredskp@gmail.com for further information.

RetiredSKP

2000 Kountry Star 34BKWB Fifth Wheel

Archived